Peripherals forum

General discussion

Lexmark X83 color print problems

by jco / February 9, 2005 9:17 AM PST

My Lex is 21/2 years old and has been a very good machine. Within the last three or four months, I have twice lost the ability to print in color. Both the printer and computer ink levels suddenly dip from maybe 3/4 full to completely empty. Due to the amount of use and the weight of the cartridge, I can tell it still has ink. I've cleaned the contact points carefully (both cartridge and seating area) to no avail. I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers (the original that came with our system, and the update CJXP83LE.)

The first time this happened, I bought a new color cartridge, and was able to print in color again. But the new cartridge has done the same: everything's fine; then at about the 3/4 full mark, the color ink level suddenly dips to completely empty, and no more color printing. Both the first time and this time, the amount of use and weight of cartridge tell me I still have ink.

Has the machine just bit the dust, or is there something else I can try to repair it? Thanks so much for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lexmark X83 color print problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lexmark X83 color print problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Dkllw / February 18, 2005 11:44 AM PST

I have the same problem. I think it the ink caritidge i think down in the bottom of it the ink drys up and even if you refill the caritidge it still can get pass where it dry up on the bottom.

Collapse -
X83 Color Printing...
by Mamacita_Fox / February 23, 2005 10:24 PM PST

Greetings,

Not to sound like a broken record but I too have the same problem printing color with the Lexmark X83 FAX,PRINTER,COPIER. I have had it for about 2 1/2 years and until recently have not had any problems.

I have tried reinstalling, downloading drivers for X83 and cleaning. Nothing has helped. I gree with the previous message about the cartridge getting soaked with ink and drying up.

Mamacita_Fox

Collapse -
I'll be brutal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2005 11:24 PM PST

Consumer printers last 2 to 3 years. Such devices never see a repair shop since repair shop trips run from 100 to ??? dollars.

When you reach a point that ink carts don't fix it and its in the 2+ year old range, you replace the printer.

Bob

Collapse -
by jofisch / March 16, 2005 2:51 AM PST

Guess I'm the third person reporting on the same problam. I bought new black and color ink combo pack, replaced them both at same time. They both were 3/4 full, and color went down to nothing. The ink didn't fade away - all colors stopped printing.

Last time I had one color print in streaks. This is the first time a color cartridge won't print any color at all.

Guess this was my last LexMark!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!