Peripherals forum

Question

Lexmark X7170 all in one printer problem

by Homer-not / September 3, 2013 7:53 AM PDT

My Lexmark X7170 printer prints extra black vertical bars when I copy or print anything. I first noticed this when I was attempting to print a page from the internet. I thought it might have been grayed out areas from the internet site. Then I copied the page to Word and printed. The same bars showed up. Then I put a document on the scanner and copied. The bars continue to appear. I had the Black cartridge refiled before this happened. Could this be the culprit?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lexmark X7170 all in one printer problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lexmark X7170 all in one printer problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Lexmark X7170 print problem
by Zap0575 / August 14, 2014 3:16 AM PDT

My Lexmark X7170 all in one just started doing this recently - it looks like my printer is redacting secret government documents. I am using an original Lexmark cartridge. We you able to resolve this issue or did you move onto a new printer?

Collapse -
See below.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2014 3:23 AM PDT

They discovered it was the printer with a test given below. Given the age of the printer, not unexpected. What else is not new is that cost to repair is more than a new printer. Here a shop counter minimum fee is now 150 USD. A printer is less than that.
Bob

Collapse -
Lexmark X7170
by dermitt3 / August 22, 2014 4:05 AM PDT

I've had the same problem with my printer. In my case the cartridges were gummed up. I used alcohol and/or some printer cleaner that I had. The cartridges, where they sit, and the tray where they sit were all gummed up. Once I cleaned it all, my pages printed clean. I now have a problem printing from the glass. My pages come out all green. Right now I'm looking for a service manual so I can take it apart and give it a good cleaning. I'm hoping it just needs cleaning and not any expensive parts. I've had this printer for quite some time and I love it. Got it for $100 way back when. I doubt I can find anything as good for that price.

Oh, I also buy my cartridges through Lexmark's recycling program. I get 1 free for every 5 I buy or return. Every once in a while I get a bum cartridge but they're good at replacing them for me.
If anyone has a clue as to why my printer is putting out green pages when I copy from the glass, I'd appreciate the help.

Collapse -
What I got for less than 100 and think is good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2014 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Lexmark X7170

One of those Canon Pixma's. Most use one color cart per color rather than the other. Amazon and other places have specials all the time.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes. Did you try a new cart?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2013 8:14 AM PDT

If you've been around the usual service counters you find consumers that can't use a new cart since it costs more than a new printer. And printers over 2 years old with rare exception are never serviced but tossed and replaced.

The x7170 looks to be that old.
Bob

Collapse -
Not yet
by Homer-not / September 3, 2013 10:20 AM PDT

I didn't want to buy another cartridge without being pretty sure the old refilled cartridge was the problem. I know this is an older printer but it has been working great until lately. I will buy another cartridge and hopefully this will solve my problem.

Collapse -
Lines etc.
by pgc3 / September 4, 2013 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Not yet

It could be the cartridge but it could also be traces of ink on the rollers, in that case you'd get some roller cleaning sheets, available at most box stores. A Mr. Proffitt stated, this is a pretty old printer, if a cartridge or cleaning sheets don't resolve the issue, time to replace.

Collapse -
Roller cleaning.
by Homer-not / September 4, 2013 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Lines etc.

I appreciate your offered suggestion that the rollers may need to be cleaned however the lines I see are definitely printed, not smudges. They are similar to bar codes.

Collapse -
Jumbled text
by pgc3 / September 5, 2013 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Roller cleaning.

That having been said, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software. You didn't mention anything about your system, OS etc. I'd reinstall from scratch and also take a look at Lexmark's site for upgrades/updates.

Collapse -
Bar code
by Homer-not / September 5, 2013 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Jumbled text

I am still running Windows XP Home. The first thing I did was to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. The Lexmark site provided me with no information on my printer.

Collapse -
The acid test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Roller cleaning.

Does it work the same on other PCs or even the "Self Test"?

Collapse -
Another system
by Homer-not / September 6, 2013 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: The acid test.

I have not connected my printer to another computer. The problem was there when I printed a print head alignment page. I am assuming that would be like a self test. The problem is also there when I make a copy. I am convinced the problem is in the refiled printer cartridge.

Collapse -
This convinced me the issue is with the printer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2013 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Another system

And not the PC.

Collapse -
another PC
by Homer-not / September 6, 2013 2:38 AM PDT

That, too, is part of my problem. I don't have another PC to connect the printer to. When it prints the problem while making a direct copy and from the head alignment it convinces me the problem is in the cartridge.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2013 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: another PC

But when I wrote the printer, a cartridge is part of the printer however I've seen such things and only those new to the repair counter would know it's the cart. But worth changing as it's cheap.
Bob

Collapse -
Printer/garbled etc.
by pgc3 / September 6, 2013 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Evidently this unit has been problematic, there seem to be some fixes that Lexmark offers, driver fixes, etc. Typically a cartridge shouldn't create garbling, I'm still software suspicious.

Collapse -
The acid tests.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2013 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Printer/garbled etc.

They see it on a copy without using a PC so that's a sign. Not a good one.

Collapse -
Sign
by pgc3 / September 7, 2013 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: The acid tests.

Yuppers, toast city...unless, and I doubt, it is simply the cartridge.

Collapse -
Answer
TIP: When the forum bottoms out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 2:07 AM PDT

Reply to the top. Yes, I know it's not threaded but it's how this buggy works.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!