HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Letterman under fire over his "crude" comments.

by James Denison / June 16, 2009 2:59 AM PDT

When will they realize this guy isn't a Johnny Carson, that he's only marginally funny and that only at various times. He's not a good interviewer and he continually insults others including his guests. Get him off the air!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526525,00.html

The apology came after David Letterman took his biggest step to put the furor surrounding his jokes about Gov. Sarah Palin's daughters behind him.

"I would like to apologize, especially to the two daughters involved, Bristol and Willow, and also to the governor and her family and everybody else who was outraged by the joke. I?m sorry about it and I?ll try to do better in the future," Letterman told the studio audience.

Click to read about reactions from women's advocacy groups to Letterman's joke.

He went on to explain how he had come to the realization that last week's monologue, in which he joked about one of Governor Palin's teenage daughters being "knocked up" by New York Yankee Alex Rodriguez, could be interpreted as being in poor taste.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Letterman under fire over his "crude" comments.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Letterman under fire over his "crude" comments.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start over
by Willy / June 16, 2009 3:20 AM PDT

Let's face it, he pulled a ***** and now he has to pay for it. If he had simply come clean and with remorse on his 1st response, it would have been over. It still would have been unsavory but things do happen. Being on a public format does have its consequences and they have spoken and acted. He should have known better. -----Willy

Collapse -
It was a tasteless joke....
by Josh K / June 16, 2009 5:27 AM PDT

...but some people are trying to milk it with overstated "outrage" to try to score some kind of political points, keep Sarah Palin in the news (like she isn't trying her "gosh darndest" to do that already), etc.

He told a joke. It wasn't funny and was in poor taste. He has publicly apologized twice, and Sarah Palin has accepted his apology. For my money this "scandal" is over and anyone trying to keep it going is just trying to milk it.

He's been on the air for around 30 years and anyone who thinks he's going to be fired over one bad joke is kidding themselves. The only thing that will end his run is bad ratings or his own decision to hang it up.

Collapse -
Besides, he made a joke about a conservative....
by EdHannigan / June 16, 2009 5:32 AM PDT

So that's okay. Contrast this with what happened to Imus.

His first apology wasn't really an apology at all. I hope he finally "gets" it. Let him squirm a bit longer.

Collapse -
What do you think...
by J. Vega / June 16, 2009 5:49 AM PDT

What do you think what would have happened if he made a "joke" about Michelle Obama's trip to France in which he referred to her appearance as a "sluty flight attendant look"? If that had happened, I think he would have been fired in a matter of days, if it took even that long. To me, it looks like a double standard.

Collapse -
To me, it looks like a double standard.
by JP Bill / June 16, 2009 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you think...

To me. it looks like speculation "until it happens"

Collapse -
Michele Obama isn't 14 years old
by Josh K / June 16, 2009 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you think...

The attempts to make this some kind of liberal/conservative thing are a lot funnier than his joke was IMO.

Collapse -
Palin...
by J. Vega / June 16, 2009 6:26 AM PDT

Palin is not 14 years old. You sidestepped the question. What do you think would have been the press reaction if Letterman had made the "sluty flight attendant look," about Obama?

Collapse -
It's not the press that's reacting
by Josh K / June 16, 2009 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Palin...

It's the Right that's making this into such a huge deal. I've seen much, much worse than "slutty flight attendant" said about Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi and others.

Maybe we "lefties" just aren't as uptight as you guys are. Wink

Collapse -
Maybe...
by EdHannigan / June 16, 2009 7:20 AM PDT

"you lefties" include the lapdog lefty press. Ya think? Of course THEY don't think anything is wrong with it. That's what's wrong with them.

Collapse -
(NT) LOL, don't wait too long for the press to react.
by James Denison / June 16, 2009 8:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nonsense...
by EdHannigan / June 16, 2009 7:14 AM PDT

Palin has been the punching bag of you lefties for a long time. It is most definitely about that. Who do you think you're fooling.

What if the joke had been about Obamas's daughters?

Collapse -
Palin brought most of it on herself
by Josh K / June 16, 2009 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Nonsense...

She couldn't handle Katie Couric? What would happen with a real journalist?

The joke was in bad taste. I already said that. Not sure what else you're getting at.

Collapse -
Ah yes, blame the victim.
by James Denison / June 16, 2009 8:20 AM PDT

Works for some and their followers.

Collapse -
(NT) Some people will NEVER get it.
by EdHannigan / June 16, 2009 8:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: Palin has been the punching bag
by JP Bill / June 16, 2009 9:52 AM PDT

Palin has been the punching bag of you lefties for a long time.

It's called Politics?

Palin accepted Lettermans apology, why can't you?

It's HER daughter.

Collapse -
What if the joke had been about Obama's/Clinton's daughters?
by JP Bill / June 16, 2009 11:28 AM PDT

John McCain was even more vicious toward Chelsea Clinton in 2000, with the horrendous joke "Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno."

"On his TV show, early in the Clinton administration, Limbaugh put up a picture of Socks, the White House cat, and asked, "Did you know there's a White House dog?" Then he put up a picture of Chelsea Clinton, who was 13 years old at the time and as far as I know had never done any harm to anyone.

Collapse -
Any guy who thinks its OK or funny to joke about
by Desperado JC / June 16, 2009 6:56 AM PDT

raping a teenage girl has some serious problems. That's true whether the girl is 14 or 18.

If you think it's about Palin, perhaps you should try to envision your own daughter treated in this manner.

Collapse -
The joke was not about rape
by Josh K / June 16, 2009 7:36 AM PDT

It was in very bad taste but it was not a joke about rape so stop exaggerating.

Collapse -
Under 15 is rape in New York
by EdHannigan / June 16, 2009 8:24 AM PDT

So, yes, it was.

Collapse -
Are you kidding me?
by Januss331 / June 16, 2009 9:59 AM PDT

He WAS NOT speaking about her younger daughter, he was talking about her 18 year old who's already gotten herself knocked up once. It was a joke, something that Palin has blown out of proportion and in doing so made herself look like an idiot. The only reason he probably apologized was because the network made him do so. He wasn't speaking about her younger daughter-so where's the harm?

Your argument of "what if it was your daughter" is null. My daughter would be on birth control already. Kids are going to have sex, the best you can do is help them have SAFE sex. If she was stupid enough to get herself knocked up then you're opening yourself up to some ridicule.

Collapse -
Untrue
by EdHannigan / June 16, 2009 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you kidding me?
He WAS NOT speaking about her younger daughter, he was talking about her 18 year old who's already gotten herself knocked up once

Wrong. He was talking about Palin being in Yankee Stadium with her daughter. She was in Yankee Stadium with her YOUNGER (14 year old) daughter. You obviously bought Letterman's lame first excuse.
Collapse -
Does Letterman Have Any Children?
by James Denison / June 16, 2009 8:22 AM PDT

Any he claims? Any someone else claims? Is he even married? Ever been married?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.