Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Let there be rice...

by Willy / March 1, 2009 2:39 AM PST

Instead of seizing rice plants and the like, Caverz should at least use his "oil wealth" to buy rice on the open market and dump it in his country to help depress the price of rice. Instead, he wants to look good as if he's doing something, but really he hasn't increased any more rice sources or offered price decreases on other products, like cooking oil, etc.. He a farce waiting for the final current call if was anything worthwhile to his country he can't seem to fathom what it is.

link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29450223/

Adios -----Willy Shocked

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Let there be rice...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Let there be rice...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Chavez is destroying his country
by James Denison / March 1, 2009 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: Let there be rice...

Someone needs to get that mad man out of power.

Collapse -
It was evident to some that the policies of Hitler
by drpruner / March 1, 2009 4:16 AM PST

would eventually ruin his country. Likewise with Stalin ... Banda ... Mugabe ... Mussolini ... Napoleon l'Empereur ...

The damage is always done first, then the reckoning. At the cost of many lives.

Collapse -
Despite the negative filter of the article there are one or
by Ziks511 / March 1, 2009 9:14 PM PST

two anomalies that stand out. Why was the largest factory producing at half capacity? If there was a crop failure, why wasn't it mentioned, if there wasn't, then why the low production. Despite my personal dislike for Mr Chavez's behaviour, there are at least indications that he may have been right when he said that the major producers were contributing to inflation.

Additionally, I have difficulty in trusting the Third World corporate management of petroleum resources. If they manipulate the US market (and I at least think they do) as they were proved to have done in the Canadian Market in the Trudeau years, then heaven knows what they get up to in Venezuela.

And why stick that large red quotation about Fidel Castro in the middle of the article except to bias the American reader and associate Chavez with Castro. It was totally irrelevant to the article itself, even if true. It was, if you'll pardon the expression, a red herring.

MSNBC seems to me to be the most liberal leaning of all the TV outlets, but this web article should be a sign that it's not leaning very far.

Rob

Collapse -
I'd like to see...
by J. Vega / March 2, 2009 1:32 AM PST

I'd like to see the 2008 rice production statistics. I found them for years past, but that list only goes to 2007. Those figures are still worth examination, so below is a link to them. Something that may be a factor in the amount of rice available for the people is the amount of their rice exports, so in the upper left of that page select that to chance the chart and figures to that variable.

http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=ve&commodity=milled-rice&graph=production

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?