Samsung forum

General discussion

Let the Samsung Forums begin... (Thank you CNET!)

by Mr__S / June 5, 2008 1:27 PM PDT

Hello CNET members. I'm Mr. Samsung. As you would expect, I work for Samsung. About a year ago I started posting on the CNET forums when I saw people had questions about Samsung products. I often found myself on CNET looking for answers to my own questions so I figured I would throw my hat into the ring and give back a little. At the time, this wasn't an official Samsung program. I just started answering questions and soon I found myself on the forums all the time. When my upper management found out what I was doing, I thought they would tell me to stop or even worse - hire a PR person to take my place and start posting scripted answers that were run by our legal department three times before it was approved. Instead they stepped up and told me I should work with CNET to make this official so our current and future customers know that I'm really a Samsung employee.

I took a little break from posting so I could set up this forum with Lee Koo and the guys are CNET (Thanks LEE!) and now I'm ready to answer whatever questions you have. If I don't have the answers to your questions, I'll walk around the office and find the person who can answer your question. I'm better suited to answer questions from people who are looking to buy or set up an HD product but I'll try to answer any question you have.

Ok... So let the Samsung Forums begin! Let's see where this takes us.

Mr. Samsung.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Let the Samsung Forums begin... (Thank you CNET!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Let the Samsung Forums begin... (Thank you CNET!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Welcome back, it's good to see you again!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 6, 2008 3:14 AM PDT

Welcome back Mr. Samsung, it's great to see you back in the presence of our community again and I want to extend my warmest welcome to Samsung in the CNET forums!

Even before this forum program with Samsung was officially announced to me, it was great to see your presence in our community already. Your contribution and help to our fellow members really resonated and it proved to be invaluable to those you helped. And I wanted to say, thank you!

I really look forward to this new forum blossoming. I know there are many CNET members always seeking advice and help on Samsung HD products. And I know in time, with the combination of our community members and your efforts, this forum will be a valuable place for all of our members to not only learn and exchange ideas and advice about Samsung products, but also find the comforts of a community where we can gather around and share a virtual happy hour or two, together.

Thanks again and welcome back!

Cheers!
-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Collapse -
Welcome to CNET MR. Samsung
by roddy32 / June 6, 2008 4:56 AM PDT

If I have any problems with my Samsung DVD player/recorder I will know where to come for help. Happy

Collapse -
DVD?
by Mr__S / June 6, 2008 5:10 AM PDT

Isn't it time for a Blu-ray? Haha.... Just kidding. Yes - come on by. I spoke with our Service Center and they are ready to help out.

Collapse -
Actually I am planning
by roddy32 / June 6, 2008 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD?

on buying a Blu-Ray/PS3 in the near future BUT I will keep the Samsung hooked up for all my VHS tapes and also if I want to record anything. I can record either DVD or VHS with the Samsung plus I can also copy from one format to another which is great. I have that on the video #1 slot. When I buy the Blu-Ray, I will also buy another set of HDMI cables. I have an HDMI #1 from the Direct TV HD receiver to the HD TV already but I have a slot for HDMI #2 also.

I love this Samsung. It is only a little over a year old but I am retired and I watch a huge amount of movies and I also buy TV shows on DVD. I just went today and picked up season #4 of the Sopranos. The ONLY problem I have ever had was "Could not play disc" but I bought a DVD lens cleaner and I run that after about 10 hours of viewing and I have had NO problems whatsoever since then. It is an excellent product IMO.

Collapse -
DVD & Blu-Ray
by Mr__S / June 6, 2008 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually I am planning

Regarding copying from one format to the other, I love that feature on the Duo deck. We have some family videos on VHS and it's great to digitize them to keep them safe from VHS aging.

Now that the Blu-Ray / HD-DVD format war is over, I would imagine a lot of people are planning an upcoming Blu-Ray purchase. The number of movies on Blu-Ray right now is growing quickly. By the end of the year, the amount of Blu-Ray content is going to be huge. We had a promotion at the end of last year where we gave away a bunch of Blu-Ray discs with the purchase of our Blu-ray player. Included in that promotion was a "Planet Earth" Blu-Ray disc. That's awesome. They did a great job with Planet Earth. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the kind words about our DVD Player.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
I was waiting for the war to be over and
by roddy32 / June 6, 2008 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD & Blu-Ray

now that is it, I am waiting for the player prices to go down. LOL. I bought Planet Earth from the Discovery channel at the end of last year and even though I don't have it in the Blu-Ray format it sure looks like on is the TV. That is a fantastic series and extremely well done IMO. I plan on buying Blue Planet also but I will wait until I can afford to buy a Blu-Ray Player and then I will buy the Blu-Ray disc for that then.

Collapse -
DVR
by chestateeridge / September 12, 2008 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Actually I am planning

Get a dvr recorder from direct

Collapse -
Very cool idea!
by udayan71 / June 6, 2008 5:08 AM PDT

Welcome to CNET Happy

Collapse -
Welcome to the forums.
by Kees Bakker / June 6, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

Both my (teenage and teenage+) children have a Samsung LCD TV on their room, and my daughter has a Samsung cell phone. And both are happy with it. If they ever have any trouble with it (but they didn't yet), I'll surely come here to visit you.

Best of luck here. Continue the good work you already did.

Kees

Collapse -
PS. Why only HD products?
by Kees Bakker / June 6, 2008 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Welcome to the forums.

That's TV, digital recorder and BlueRay probably. No support here for cell phones?

Kees

Collapse -
Why only HD products...
by Mr__S / June 6, 2008 7:33 AM PDT

When I spoke with CNET, we thought forum members could use the most help with HD products. We will probably open this up to other products in the near future but we wanted to make sure members approved of this idea before investing too much money into it. (I?m well versed in HD products but other product categories will require more Mr. Samsungs? Like a Mr. SamsungCellPhone and a Mr. SamsungPrinters)

CNET and Samsung agreed that the future of this program is in the hands of CNET forum members. If you guys like this idea, we will expand it. If you guys don't want a manufacturer intruding on user conversations, we will take it down. It?s up to you? There?s nothing worse than a house guest that overstays their welcome? Happy

Talk soon,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Is this an official or side forum?
by John.Wilkinson / June 6, 2008 6:02 AM PDT

By that I reference some companies, such as Acronis, which have set up forums through Wilder Security and the like, then made it an 'official' support channel linked to from the corporate website, rather than just a forum for those who happened across it elsewhere. Just curious as to which is the case here.

Thanks.
John 'I don't own a single Samsung product' Wilkinson Happy

Collapse -
Just a CNET forum right now...
by Mr__S / June 6, 2008 10:00 AM PDT

?but I can see us linking to this forum from Samsung.com in the future. We just want to make sure CNET forum members actually want this type of participation from a manufacturer. If this works out, I can see us doing a lot more customer service & support this way. It makes a lot of sense. Manufacturer support should always be available but how many times have you found a better solution to a problem from another customer than a manufacturer? If you combine the two, I think you have a perfect recipe for great customer support.

Collapse -
I wondered...
by whizkid454 / June 6, 2008 7:20 AM PDT

I wondered why I kept seeing Samsung staff under the forum legend.

Collapse -
Just became Samsung customer 1 week ago
by Chip_Leader / June 6, 2008 9:16 AM PDT

Never had a Samsung before but was in the market for my first High Def tv.
After much research I just bought the LNT4071F. I have not set it up yet, am doing that this weekend.
Hope I like it, I am excited.

Collapse -
Good score... The 4071 is a solid TV
by Mr__S / June 6, 2008 10:01 AM PDT

Come back here after you set up the TV. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Considered another brand for LCD TV, but decided on Samsung.
by 8IronBob / June 9, 2008 12:38 AM PDT

I was looking for a good 46" LCD HDTV with 120Hz and solid connectivity. Originally, I was looking at another brand that just recently launched their "bang for the buck" line, and noticed that even tho their MSRP was similar, they just lacked in PQ in comparison to the A750. The glossy screen and the connectivity, and other features on the Samsung were night and day as opposed to, well, the former top brand of LCDs. I just love this far better.

Collapse -
Thanks.
by Mr__S / September 9, 2008 1:47 PM PDT

8ironBob,

After reading many of your posts here and elsewhere, I appreciate your endorsement and kind words! Thanks!

Regards,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Hi, Sam (may I call you Sam?)

I'm actually in the market for a High-def TV at the moment, and the limiting factor is the size of the entertainment center in which it's top be housed. The dimensions that matter are 57x34 (which could be stretched vertically if we took out the separate holders for the DVR and VCR/DVD combo (there's a separate section above where they could go). These are right around the limit for the dimensions shown for the super PN58A550 58" (I've seen it ; 55.4x33.9")

My question: can the typical entertainment back wall withstand the weight of a 58" plasma if I were to mount it there via wall mount? Using the stand would force me to remove the drop-down holders for the DVR and VCR/DVD combo.

Thanks, and welcome to CNET!

-- Dave K.

Collapse -
130lbs of Plasma
by Mr__S / June 6, 2008 10:13 AM PDT

Dave -

That's a tough question to answer without knowing what type of entertainment center you have. However, I would assume that a 58" plasma would probably be too heavy to mount on an entertainment back wall. That's 130lbs of Plasma (without the stand or mount). I would probably advise against that. Can you call the company that made the entertainment center and ask them what they think?

Where did you see the 58" plasma? I haven't seen one yet myself. I saw the 50" 550 (we have that in the office) but I haven't seen the 58" yet. You can really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at that size - right?

Thanks for considering a Samsung HDTV,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Hi, Sam.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / June 6, 2008 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: 130lbs of Plasma

I was afraid of that Sad They have the 50" plasmas at Fry's; I haven't actually seen the 58" yet, but they're already available at a good price on the web, from reputable dealers (Abe's of Maine being the lowest reputable one at the moment). Do you think one could put a brace on the back of the EC and then mount it there?

The problem is that the height dimension is almost 5" taller with a stand than with a wall mount. What's needed is a stand that doesn't add any height to the installation.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
2493HM Monitor
by Lucmiester / June 28, 2008 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: 130lbs of Plasma

Hi I've just purchased an 2493HM Monitor and after a day of use I'm getting used to it...it's a big step up from my old 19"LCD.
I have a few queries; the buttons (menu, customized key etc) don't seem to be back-lit and I can't see them at all which means I can't seem to set the thing up properly. Is this normal?
And at the recommended screen resolution 1920x1200 60Hz, viewing any written content is a pain as it's such tiny script. I've been told not to bother running it at this res and to go back to 1024x768.
Is this right?

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600), NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM) [Display adapter].
I've searched through Samsungs FAQ's and search facility( "search facility" A misnomer surely? What a trial that was!)
Any help or clues would be appreciated

Collapse -
How long before you reply 'Mr Samsung' ?
by Lucmiester / June 30, 2008 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: 2493HM Monitor

So how often does 'Mr Samsung' reply then?
Or should I start a seperate topic to try an get some help on this?

Collapse -
Yes, I think your question
by roddy32 / July 2, 2008 11:32 AM PDT

will get noticed quicker if you start a new thread for it.

Collapse -
Just found this.
by Mr__S / September 9, 2008 1:49 PM PDT

Lucmiester,

I?m sorry, it?s much easier (and answers come much faster) when people post separate threads for separate issues.

Please, I encourage everyone to start their own topic. If you see something in progress, jump in and we?ll get to you MUCH quicker.

Regards,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Please help. I love Samsung LN4065 or A550 40"????
by Cayla Brielle / June 8, 2008 3:03 PM PDT

Hi Mr Samsung, Happy

i am so happy I found you. I purchased an LN4065 last summer and LOVED IT!! But it was recently stolen out of my house. So when i went to buy a new one everyone was saying to get a new A550 40" with the 30,000 to 1 contrast etc... But the A550 comes with a matte screen for lower shine. However I LOVED the brightness, gloss & POP that I got with my 4065. It was so vibrant. Crystal clear picture is the most important thing to me. But I know it is only 15,000 to 1 contrast ratio. ALSO I have heard that Samsung switched the processor on the 4065 rather recently to a cheaper and not as crystal clear processor. So I am not sure if I would get the same picture that I had with my prior 4065.

So that is where I REALLY need your help. Price does not matter. Should I get a 4065 or A550. I just want the most AMAZING crystal clear, vibrant, come alive picture I can get in HD programming. Regardless of glare or not.

And if it is the 4065 you recommend how can I be assured it is with the original higher quality processor. Is there a certain serial number range i should look for. It would drive me nuts if i thought I was going to get the cheaper processor.

Thank you for all of your help.. I love & believe in Samsung.

Warm Hugs,

Cayla

Collapse -
LN40A530: 1080p over component?
by psuKinger / June 16, 2008 4:58 AM PDT

Mr_Samsung,

First, let me start by saying I'm the proud owner of an LN-T4065F, and I love almost everything about that TV.

I'm looking at getting a 2nd HDTV, one for my basement. I've had such a great experience with Samsung, they are my first choice for my next purchase as well.

While looking into some of the newer models (I bought when the 4065F was the latest-and-greatest, so I have to catch up on "what I've missed" in your product line since the last time I bought), I noticed a User Review here on CNET of the LN40A530 that indicates "This TV's engine allows 1080p over component video, which is very nice for my older Xbox 360."

I have an interest in this issue for the exact same reason (bought an early version of the XBox 360... no HDMI output... stuck with component), and I'm aware of the intentional "crippling" of component ("analog HD") input for legal/copyright purposes, nearly across-the-board for the industry, so when I read this, I got excited. Sadly, I havn't been able to find much of anything else (outside of this one lone User Review on CNET) to support this claim.

Do you have any idea whether or not the A530 (or any other Samsung model for that matter) is capable of transmitting a full HD, 1080p, image, through it's component inputs?

Any help/advice/insight you could offer would be appreciated.

P.S. While I have your attention, can you comment at all about what may be different between the "old" numbering system (Txx61F, Txx65F, Txx71F, ect) and the "new" numbering system, which have replaced the T with an A (xxA530, xxA550, xxA750, ect. Is there a method to Samsung's madness, in terms of their numbering system? (IE, does the presence or absense of an "A" immediately tell me something about the model?)

Collapse -
Samsung MP3 YP-K3
by jlbnj / July 15, 2008 12:10 AM PDT

I received this as a gift at Christmas and I love all of the features, the design and how easy it is to use. My one problem has been that after I charge it the battery charge runs out very quickly - within 36 hours regardless of if it has been used. The reviews that I have read claim that it has a long charge. I contacted cutomer service and sent it in for a new battery, but it was sent back to me with the same battery and a note that said it was a music format issue (all of the music I had downloaded was gone). Unfortunately the same problem exists. I am really disappointed when I am ready to use it and the battery is run down. I end up using my iPod Shuffle as its battery lasts forever. Any suggestions about why this happens?

Collapse -
Samsung YP-P2 Questions
by 4dthinker / July 21, 2008 12:22 PM PDT

I am a proud owner of the Samsung YP-P2. I've been enjoying it and the Bluewave updates since I bought it last year.

- Will there be any more Bluewave updates forthcoming? The P2 could use some improvements for the existing calendar, calculator, and voice recorder.
- Will there be a new touchscreen model this year?
- Why can't I buy the 16gb P2 in the USA?
- Any chance on seeing wifi added to the P2 family line?
- You've made a P2-DMB for the Korean market. The USA is moving to digital ATSC TV next year. Any chance on an ATSC tuner in a USA version?
- Any plans on adding more music and video formats to the ones the P2 can play?

Thank you very much for your presence here. I love my Instinct phone (needs a better browser). Any truth the the rumor you've licensed Apple's Safari browser? That would be a perfect upgrade to the Instinct.

4DThinker.

Collapse -
Emodio and P2 question
by Coolvibes2008 / July 24, 2008 1:36 AM PDT

Hello Mr.Samsung
My question is regarding the new Samsung service Emodio for P2 mp3 players, the place where you install Uci themes:
http://www.emodio.com

1. Why do you have a separate acount for korean and english
so that people with english emodio acount cannot login to korean acount?
For korean acount you need korean passport so many people cannot register for it.
English acount: http://www.emodio.com
Korean acount : http://kr.emodio.com

This is a problem because sometimes there is very nice Uci themes
on the korean acount

Is it possible samsung can merge this 2 acounts
or make the English acount work on korean acount ?

2. IMPORTANT Bug in Emodio:
People that acess the korea acount :
http://kr.emodio.com

With a P2 with english firmware
have problem downloading Korean themes
If UCI Theme have korean filename it will not work on non-korean firmware on Yepp P2 players
but (also from korean emodio) if the filename is in english or numbers then it work

Is it possible you samsung can fix this
So Korean Uci files names will work when installing the Emodio themes
on English firmware Yepp p2 players

To test this do the following:
- Get a Yepp P2 with a US/EU Firmware 5.05 or 5.08
- Make an Korean acount at : - Login to korean emodio
- Download any Themes with a Korean filename through Emodio software
- Unplugg P2 and turn it on
- You will see Uci themes show up in preview window but when applied it roll back to Default black Samsung uci

- Now download another theme from: http://kr.emodio.com
This time download a theme with english name or Numbers in
There most be no korean filename anywhere in the tittle
transfer it with emodio software and unplugg p2 and turn it on

- You will see the new uci theme show up in preview window
when you choose it you can see the themes fine

So the problem is that Themes from http://kr.emodio.com
with korean tittles in file name dont work on EU/US firmware 5.05 P2

Can Samsung fix this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?