General discussion

Let the battery die?

I just bought the new Sony CyberShot DSC-350, and I was wondering, as it is brand new from the box, if I should continue to use it until the battery dies on its first charge (like you might do with a brand new laptop), or go ahead and charge it full? I figured it would be fine to do the first option, as it is just a regular Lithium Ion battery.

Thanks for any and all answers!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Let the battery die?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Let the battery die?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The manual should say but

Any new battery should be fully charged before using. I found this information from one site, but all the other sites said the same thing.

New batteries should be fully charged before their first use to obtain maximum capacity. Nickel-based batteries should be charged for 16 hours initially and run through 2-4 full charge/full discharge cycles, while lithium ion batteries should be charged for about 5-6 hours. Ignore the phone telling you that the battery is full--this is normal but is not accurate if the battery is not initialized. #DO NOT fully discharge a lithium-ion battery! Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries' life is shortened every time you fully discharge them. Instead, charge them when the battery meter shows one bar left. Lithium-ion batteries, like most rechargeable batteries have a set amount of charges in them.

You're Sony has a lithium Ion battery so you should follow the recommendations above.

- Collapse -
A post at this location was deleted

It contained information that was copied from a camcorder source.

It could be an infringement of a copyright.

It also contained the location of a link to advertising.

Advertising is not permitted on any CNET Forum.

The Forum Moderator
Snapshot2

- Collapse -
re

Any new battery should be fully charged before using

- Collapse -
Let the battery die?

To avoid embarrassment it would be better to keep the battery recharged!

- Collapse -
Charging Camera Battries

I have read that Lithium batteries have a longer life if you drain the power right down, through use, and THEN re charge them. Because with every charge you do it heats the outer casing of the battery so it's able to hold the fresh supply of power. So excessive, unecessary charging of the battery will thin the casing and so decrease it's lifetime ultimatley requiring you to purchase another. So think about purchasing a spare one and using the other till it needs re charging and swapping them over.

I learnt to my cost last year on holiday after buying a new dSLR and having just the one battery that came with it. I fully charged it before leaving but it lasted just a week and I daren't charge it abroad, even though I had a euro plug with me, as electric supplies differ in watts and voltages abroad and was frightened I would damage my new camera.

Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Never, ever let a Li-Ion battery go flat

It is beneficial to discharge NiCd batteries completely now and then to avoid the memory problem. Li-Ion cells do not have a memory problem like NiCd batteries, and they can be permanently damaged by discharging below a certain minimum voltage.

CNET Forums

Forum Info