Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Let's say

by JP Bill / February 23, 2006 11:18 PM PST

''civil/uncivil'' war breaks out in Iraq.

Which side (if any) does coalition forces protect from the other side? IF both side start committing the offences against the other, (bombing shrines, kidnapping and killing)

OR do they get between both sides and shoot both ways?

How do they avoid the appearance of choosing a side?

The only way to avoid the appearance of choosing a side is to withdraw or ''sit on the sidelines'' until the smoke settles.

No matter what anyone that intervenes in a ''family feud'' does, the other side is going to see it as ''picking sides''

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Let's say
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Let's say
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We would have to be on the Shiite side.
by EdH / February 23, 2006 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: Let's say

Sitting on the fence or withdrawing are not options. Taking the side of the Sunnis who have been most supportive of the "insurgents" would be unreasonable, therefore...

Also it would be a lot quicker to squash the Sunnis, from a practical standpoint. We ought to make that clear to them now in case there's any doubt.

Collapse -
Re: quicker to squash the Sunnis
by JP Bill / February 23, 2006 11:38 PM PST
from a practical standpoint

Not really practical to squash ALL Sunnis, as not all are insurgents/terrorists.

Might be OK to "make it clear" but there is doubt because it is not a good idea to squash someone because of their religion. That's what Saddam did.
Collapse -
If there's a civil war..
by EdH / February 23, 2006 11:43 PM PST

presumably there will be "sides". Isn't that your original premise? One side would most likely be Sunni. That's the side we should oppose.

Collapse -
I would think that if
by TONI H / February 23, 2006 11:56 PM PST

we were in a position of having to choose a side, it would have to be opposing the Sunni's if for no other reason than because of their history of control in that country and oppression of all other factions....it wouldn't have to do with their religion per se.

TONI

Collapse -
What's Canada's position on this issue? I'd guess....
by Jack Ammann / February 24, 2006 12:23 AM PST

...we'd just stay outta the way.

Collapse -
What's Canada's position on this issue?
by JP Bill / February 24, 2006 1:12 AM PST

The "issue" at this time is hypothetical. Governments don't usually release positions on hypothetical situations.

So I have no idea what the position of the Canadian government is.

Stay out of the way is a good idea though. Let the family (country) settle it amoungst themselves.

Collapse -
Not necessarily
by EdH / February 24, 2006 1:18 AM PST

Sometimes intervention is a much better course. That's why the police respond in domestic violence cases. If the US takes a "side" it might neutralize the opponent quickly and avoid prolonged agony.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / February 24, 2006 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: Not necessarily

It appears the party in power is taking revenge (assassinations) on the Sunnis.

And if coalition forces don't assist in stopping "revenge killings" the Sunnis are not going quietly.

Collapse -
I think there is violence on the part of both sides...
by EdH / February 24, 2006 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Response

if anything the Shiites have restrained themselve up til now.

Collapse -
Ah, yes. The latest Liberal fantasy
by duckman / February 24, 2006 2:46 AM PST

for America to lose face in the Middle East.

Collapse -
Liberal
by JP Bill / February 24, 2006 4:28 AM PST

labels, ya gotta luv'em.

Is it impossible for a ''conservative'' to even think that civil war might break out in Iraq?

I think I heard someone in the Bush administration say the words "civil war"

Collapse -
Just saw a report on another website...
by EdH / February 24, 2006 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Liberal

from a military person in Iraq that the reports of "civil war" are greatly exaggerated. The point was made that sometimes folks burn down parts of downtown LA or Detroit but no one thinks it's a civil war.

Media going overboard again methinks.

Maybe I'll ask my nephew who's over there too.

Collapse -
A civil war may "break out",
by duckman / February 24, 2006 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Liberal

but it is the Liberals who will be gleeful about it

Collapse -
The reports I have heard, JP....
by Angeline Booher / February 24, 2006 6:24 AM PST

.... say that the Iraqi security forces must step up into the fray and take responsibilty for restoring order. We will be much less visible, and stay out as much as possible.

One problem is that militias has formed. They are armed, and are providing security for their own sects.

It is a dangerous situation.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.