Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Let's hear it for pond scum !!!!

by Angeline Booher / June 4, 2008 9:37 PM PDT
Any hope for relief from soaring gas prices was dashed by hurricane Katrina. But as this ScienCentral News video explains, scientists say a future replacement may be found in an unlikely place ? your local pond.

"We envision in the future algal farms producing hydrogen much in the same way that we have farms to produce our food," says Michael Seibert, a biologist at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. Working with colleagues at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Seibert is trying to re-engineer algae at the molecular level to jack up hydrogen production.

But first, his team has to jump a major hurdle. Like all plants, algae produce hydrogen along with oxygen when converting sunlight into energy during a process called photosynthesis. "Oxygen is an inhibitor of the enzyme hydrogenase," a protein that drives the chemical reaction in cells that allows them to start producing hydrogen, explains Seibert.

he U.S. government is inching towards giving more funding to researchers like Seibert. In 2003 the Bush administration earmarked $1.2 billion for hydrogen-fuel research. But for now, the science simply isn't there yet. Seibert admits that in his approach, "we have to improve the efficiencies by at least a factor of ten and perhaps even by a factor of a hundred before a commercially viable system might be considered." That's assuming a few lucky breaks, he says, predicting a different picture in ten to 20 years.

http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?type=article&article_id=218392633

It's possible that the future fuel problems will be solved by those who think out of the box !!!!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Let's hear it for pond scum !!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Let's hear it for pond scum !!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some good may come from mortgage foreclosures?
by JP Bill / June 4, 2008 9:44 PM PDT

Scum forming on swimming pools of abandoned houses.

Collapse -
Small scale
by Willy / June 5, 2008 12:00 AM PDT

I recall a SC. Ch. show of algae being used to create CO2 and its gets placed in pipes that help generate oil pressure in older oil fields. The ideas are profound and in some cases practical but it always gets bogged down by the current energy in place already. the competition just will kill it or somehow defer it. Also helpful bacteria and/or algae help clean sewer water and the likes as it gets treated for re-use back into the drinking water supply(Las Vegas does this).

What has troubled me are the oil refineries that produce all that stuff, burn excess gases(you've seen it on oil crackers) to reduce pressure and burn it off. While can't they just siphon "some of it" and produce whole electrical or internal use and maybe any excess to outside electric grid. maybe they already have, but I rarely hear mention of it. I th8ink my cow produces methane, so if i can re-gene a cow maybe hydrogen??? Wink ------Willy

Collapse -
One "natural" success comes to mind.
by Angeline Booher / June 5, 2008 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Small scale

Penicillen was derived from the Penicillium mold.

In other words, a natural substance doing it's natural thing, so to speak.

I reckon it "made it to market" because there wasn't a huge conglomerate already supplying a product to serve the need. If there had been at the time a medication made from oil that killed bad bugs in the body, antibiotics would never have been part of our vocabulary.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
It took a while...
by J. Vega / June 5, 2008 2:43 AM PDT

Fleming discovered penicillin in 1929, but it wasn't until the late 1930's when they isolated the active substance. It was in the early 1940's that they figured out a way to produce it in quantity. With WWII and the events leading up to it there was a much greater need for an antibiotic, and they were trying, but it took a while till they developed a way to produce it in quantity.

Collapse -
Did they have it in WW2?
by James Denison / June 5, 2008 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: It took a while...

I didn't think it replaced sulfa drugs till Korean war.

Collapse -
Yes, they did...
by J. Vega / June 5, 2008 3:28 PM PDT

They had it in WWII. Check out this link:
http://home.att.net/~steinert/wwii.htm#The%20Use%20of%20Penicillin%20in%20World%20War%20II

Collapse -
Just barely in time it seems.
by James Denison / June 5, 2008 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, they did...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?