Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Let's get down to it: Jonathan's DRM idea

by aplardi / October 5, 2006 12:35 PM PDT

I wrote in a response to BOL about it, and it was mentioned on Thursday's Podcast.

Molly brought up an interesting point that the BIN numbers could be spoofed like Credit Cards. I have a further response to that, but I don't want it to look like I'm beating a dead horse so I figured I would post it in the forums so maybe other people can offer their opinions on this. I?d love to hear back from Jonathan again.

This is my second reply pointed towards Molly?s statement:

I am curious of the train of thought behind the idea of someone wanting to spoof your MP3 license. What I am trying to say is that honest people will buy these files. Whereas the pirate groups, as always will buy the CD or get it from a "source" and rip the mp3's in a high quality file format. They wouldn't want to waste there time on some lower quality mp3 files that they would somehow have to get hold of from an honest user who buys them.

The only person that would have to worry would be the person who decides to buy them and distribute them illegally. They would have to find a way to "scratch" out the bin number of that MP3 file so it isn't traced back to them. There is no real reason for a pirate group risk trying to spoof another persons DRM license and frame them, because it would be going out of the way (and pirates have the motto of wanting to give clean files, it?s just against the Pirate code). There?s no reason for the people who buy the files to worry as long as they are honest and are not submitting them to janked sites.

Maybe I'm having trouble putting myself in the RIAA's shoes, but no company or business will ever be exempt from theft and it seems the RIAA/MPAA are some of the only ones who aren?t willing to accept that. If anything this would prove to that the honest buyers are not the ones they need to worry about and limit what they can do with restrictive DRM. They might even see a spike of music sales because of a lack of restrictive DRM, and maybe, perhaps, make money!

I think the industry may still have some heart as they were willing to offer a completely DRM-free file from Jessica Simpson, so why not try this. It's a level ground where they have their form of DRM, and honest users can have unrestrained files to play on any MP3 player from all of their favorite major label artists.
Rantingly,
-Andy

----------------
I wrote that letter to buzz@cnet.com - and again, I'd honestly like some people's opinions on this. DRM crippling content is a really bad thing.

Some of you who saw my previous thread about eMusic know that I really care (probably too much) about the DRM and RIAA issue...

-Andy
PS: I plan on updating that Best of eMusic list sometime tomorrow
http://home.comcast.net/~aplardi/emusic.html
or
http://bestofemusic.8m.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Let's get down to it: Jonathan's DRM idea
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Let's get down to it: Jonathan's DRM idea
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!