Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Let me try again, did anyone get this disk yet?

by LarryD / April 6, 2004 12:43 AM PDT

Order the Windows Security Update CD

The Windows Security Update CD will be shipped to you free of charge. This CD includes Microsoft critical updates released through October 2003 and information to help you protect your PC. In addition, you will also receive free antivirus and firewall trial software.

This CD is only available for Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows 98 Second Edition (SE).

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery.

To get started, please choose your location (language) from the appropriate drop down menu. Customers outside the US and Canada: please select a location and language below to see Protect Your PC information for your country. You will be able to order the CD from these sites when it becomes available. (Date of availability may vary.)

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Let me try again, did anyone get this disk yet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Let me try again, did anyone get this disk yet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Let me try again, did anyone get this disk yet?
by Mary Kay / April 6, 2004 1:26 AM PDT

No didn't recieve as yet but ordered. The wording there is referring to the countries where it is not available yet. As it states it isn't available everywhere as yet.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Let me try again, did anyone get this disk yet?
by rayduke / April 7, 2004 1:21 PM PDT

Yes, I recieved the disk last week.

Collapse -
by firearms / April 18, 2004 2:04 PM PDT

I received mine right away...hope this helps...Bob

Collapse -
by Mark G / April 6, 2004 2:05 AM PDT

yes i got it larry email me through donna other forum ok

Collapse -
Yes, 10 days ago... Central U.S. took about a month. :)
by glenn30 / April 6, 2004 2:19 AM PDT
Happy
Collapse -
Not yet
by Tom Aikman / April 6, 2004 9:07 AM PDT

Been 3-4 weeks.

Collapse -
by spc703 / April 6, 2004 9:07 AM PDT

I received mine.

Collapse -
Let me try again, did anyone get this disk yet?
by dawillie / April 6, 2004 9:17 AM PDT

picked it up today from Purolator.
being Canadian, it was shipped from the Canadian Branch of Microsoft in Eastern Canada.
it was requested in Feb 2004.
david williams

Collapse -
by christy / April 6, 2004 9:32 AM PDT

Larry,
Apart from the free anti virus and firewall and security information, what are in the CD which cannot be obtained from Windows Update ? That CD is, I suppose, some five months "out of date" ? Thanks for further information.

christy.

Collapse -
AFAIK, nothing, but it is a time saver incase you reformat and
by LarryD / April 6, 2004 4:46 PM PDT

need to run Windows Update

Collapse -
by John Robie / April 7, 2004 9:20 AM PDT

Just think Christy how long it would take to reinstall all that stuff with the dial-up I have. I ordered one only if I ever need to reformat one of my PC's.

Collapse -
I did (NT)
by FrankQTran / April 6, 2004 10:13 AM PDT

Collapse -
Just wondering...it'll be outdated when SP2 for XP is released in a couple of months!
by David Chan / April 6, 2004 10:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Just wondering...it'll be outdated when SP2 for XP is released in a couple of months!

Yes David, but I have besides a WinXP, a Win98se, and WinMe computers that I do not intend to upgrade the OS. I do not have cable, but use dial-up, and just think of the time I'll save if I have to reformat.
BTW, I received my CD from MS on March 22. The CD is printed MS Win Scty Update CD February 2004. I assume it has the updates to Feb 04, but haven't checked it out.

Collapse -
Wouldn't we be better advised to wait

Until SP2 V2 comes out??? I shudder to think of all the things that will be discovered in the first weeks after being declared " Ready for general public"!!!!

Collapse -
Nope. Billy-Bob Gates hates me. (NT)
by Brandon Eng / April 6, 2004 11:04 AM PDT

Collapse -
hes waiting for you to send him his $$$ (NT)
by Mark G / April 6, 2004 1:26 PM PDT

Collapse -
I'll do that when Windoze works! (NT)
by Brandon Eng / April 6, 2004 9:51 PM PDT

Collapse -
I received mine on March 22. Ordered it the day...
by John Robie / April 7, 2004 9:37 AM PDT

it was mentioned in the Viruses & Scty Forum. It comes with a 2nd disk for Antivius & Firewalll Software Trial CD.

The CD is printed: MS Win Scty Update CD February 2004. I assume it has the updates to Feb 04, but haven't checked it out. The inside cover states: "After installing the Windows Security Update CD (February 2004), consider your antivirus and firewall software"......

They include a CD Trial disk good for 1 year on EZ ARMOR LE, by my-eTrust.com

Collapse -
Re:I received mine on March 22. Ordered it the day...
by viking_ken / April 11, 2004 1:49 PM PDT

I got mine in the UK about 5 weeks ago. There is only about 4 updates on it that I can use with XP Pro, I have to download a lot more than that from the site.

I tried out the beta version of SP2 for about 2 days and it just about wrecked my system and I have just finished reinstalling.

I got a free years trial download of XP Pro 64 bit from Microsoft and burned it to disk as they said, and have never been able to get it to install. So much for Microsofts great improvements to XP.

Collapse -
Re:I received mine on March 22. Ordered it the day...
by viking_ken / April 11, 2004 1:54 PM PDT

I have been using EZ Armor since Christmas and it is a great security suit. That disk is worth 20 of the other disk that Microsoft put out.

Collapse -
by Dan Sprague / April 7, 2004 10:52 AM PDT

Got mine. Took about a month.

Collapse -
by DASTEVENS43 / April 7, 2004 10:54 PM PDT

I got the Disk yesterday after I had just re-updated my computer. I haven't looked at it yet, but it came in the mail

Collapse -
Re:Let me try again, did anyone get this disk yet? / Yes! 2 days ago except..
by tobeach / April 8, 2004 3:56 PM PDT

that it has a release date of FEB.2004. For 98SE (Canadian) ordered by phone 10 weeks previous as I got the "must phone and quote error code...". MS Serv. rep stated they only had the one disc for all versions. Has CA AV & firewall free for 1 year on seperate disc from MS patch. Back up for coming Re-Format. MS & Free....could start a nice trend. Happy

Collapse -
Got it TODAY
by Tom Aikman / April 9, 2004 12:58 PM PDT

Took 3-4 weeks or so...

Collapse -
by penny / April 10, 2004 4:00 AM PDT

Sure did..in Eastern Canada...took approx. 2 weeks.

Collapse -
by Willy / April 10, 2004 11:37 AM PDT

Yeap, been using it on various MS systems already. It works and the plus is.........you get a AV trial CD as well. Not bad, but I think it should be offered every 3-months to keep things simple and available, rather the long NON-broadband users may face, "like me".

Bill, can't be all bad, he uses my name as well. -----Willy

Collapse -
Got it yesterday! West Coast, USA (NT)
by NonSuch / April 10, 2004 6:47 PM PDT

Collapse -
by kb5tdy / April 11, 2004 2:03 PM PDT

I got it. It's for newbies who don't know how to do auto updates or any tweaks on a computer. It also comes with an antivirus trial CD. I did not need anything on the disk because I already have it up to date & configured correctly. Good way for them to get a correct address for tracking?

Collapse -
by phattdaddy / April 18, 2004 12:20 PM PDT

Yup! 10days whoa to go sunshine.
Keep on rattling the bars Larry!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?