HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Leopard and RAM?

by lattin1 / April 24, 2008 1:30 PM PDT

I'm thinking about getting a Macbook Pro and one of the major selling points for me is that you can get 4 GB of RAM for relatively cheap. What I wanted to know is: Can the Leopard OS use all that RAM or is it like Windows where you can only use about 3 GB of that with the normal 32 bit OS? I bought a Dell XPS 720 last summer and was really pissed off when I found out that I had to install a new 64 bit OS to utilize all of its RAM. Do Macs work this way too?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Leopard and RAM?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Leopard and RAM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It can use all the RAM
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Leopard and RAM?

There are only two versions of OS X, consumer (you and me) and Server.

Both are 64bit, if your machine can handle it, and both can use all the memory that you can fit in it. Up to the spec limit, of course.

P

Collapse -
Leopard OS can handle as much ram as you can throw at it...
by mac-man / April 28, 2008 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Leopard and RAM?

But the limitation is set by the motherboard. On my imac I installed 4GB of ram but only 3GB showed up because the intel motherboard does not support it. I believe the new Penryn motherboards which are used in the Macbook Pros and imacs do support 4GB of ram. You can install 16GB in the Mac Pros.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.