The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Leo Banned. Crappy Title = Crappy Reporting.

by surbahns / August 14, 2007 7:30 AM PDT

Okay. I'm sure BOL did it just to get people like me to click on the podcast and listen to it. But making it sound like Leo did something that would get him banned from the show with the title and the podcast description reminds me of that same crap news reporting as another blog used to say "The iPhone will be released this Friday" making reference to the Linksys product and not the Apple device. Not funny. P.S. The show content was great. To bad you had to ruin it with the poor title choice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Leo Banned. Crappy Title = Crappy Reporting.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Leo Banned. Crappy Title = Crappy Reporting.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
who cares?
by benanzo / August 14, 2007 8:03 AM PDT

not me.

Collapse -
Seriously?
by hysteric.redcoat / August 14, 2007 8:08 AM PDT

I thought it was pretty funny.

Collapse -
Whoa, man sorry

I guess we didn't believe anybody would take it seriously. It was not in any way meant to deceive.

Tom

Collapse -
Dont apologize to him!
by Alegoo92 / August 14, 2007 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Whoa, man sorry

You're Tom Merritt!

Collapse -
(NT) Ever heard of a joke?
by PinoyGuy_88 / August 14, 2007 9:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
People actually read the title???
by dro0001 / August 14, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

"Title police" in the HOUSE!

Collapse -
I could do without Leo.
by JSRoman / August 14, 2007 11:47 AM PDT

You know that smug co-worker that must folks have to deal with when you ask a question? Well, Leo comes off as that person to me everytime I hear his voice. I'm wondering if Tom and molly had to kiss the ring to be in the same room.

Collapse -
Oh no
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / August 14, 2007 2:06 PM PDT

Of course he was on ISDN, so he wasn't in the room... but still. Leo's not like that.

Collapse -
The Interrupter
by ChadKirchner / August 14, 2007 2:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh no

I've followed Leo for quite a long time (considering I'm not really THAT old, basically my entire life), and I absolutely love you guys and the entire TWiT gang.

This is meant in no way to disrespect him, or any of his friends...

He does seem to be the "alpha" personality when he's doing a podcast or is on the air. I mean yes, it is his radio show, and his netcast network, and I didn't really notice it on BOL today, but like with his radio show he is very quick to jump to what he thinks the person is going to say. I don't want to say he's like Conan O'Brien's "The Interrupter" because he's not, but I could see how someone could get the wrong impression of him based on some of his content.

Yeah, I know he's not that way, b/c I've seen him on a great number of shows, but I could see how someone might think that.

Collapse -
au contraire!
by rayray8822 / August 15, 2007 4:58 AM PDT

I really enjoyed Leo ranting in French. Hilarious!

Collapse -
Err
by Nicholas Buenk / August 14, 2007 7:52 PM PDT

What do you mean by reporting? The title is a joke.
'this joke is bad reporting'
What kind of a.. argh... nevermind.

Collapse -
When does a joke become a fact?
by surbahns / August 14, 2007 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Err

I understand now it is a joke. But when you have 20 podcasts to listen to each day you don't always get to them all. This forces you to judge a podcast from its cover in those cases. When it comes to a tech news podcast with a track record of the title actually meaning something its just a little upsetting.

Bottom line I really enjoyed the show. Even this show with Leo. I just hope this doesn't become some habit forming tack tick (if it was) to just get clicks or listens. The fact Leo was on in the first place should have been enough for the TWIT Army attention to raise their download numbers for the episode. Just imagine if this had been picked up by Digg based on just the title? Or maybe. Thats what they was wanting to happen. Hmmm.

I accept Toms comment this was just a joke I miss read. But I'm sure if it entered my mind I wasn't the only one. Long live BOL.

Collapse -
It was relavent
by benanzo / August 15, 2007 4:03 AM PDT

did you, by chance, listen to the whole podcast? At the end when they were talking about whats-his-name getting banned for saying that being on BOL wasn't as good as being on Leo's show. Leo said something that made everyone erupt and then Leo said: "Now I'm banned!" -- That's where the title came from. It's a perfectly reasonable and funny title. I hate it that I have to explain this to you.

Collapse -
Leo needs to be banned.
by cparish / August 14, 2007 11:49 PM PDT

When I heard Leo political comments I thought that was the reason he was banned. It is one thing to state a political view but it is another to almost mock those that disagree. He even went so far as saying it is only the "right" that don't want to hear about politics.

If I want politics, I know of other podcasts and TV channels that I can tune to that either agree or disagree with my views. Personally when it comes to politics I have a short attention span even while listening to some political talk show I 100% agree with so I am not a "kool-aid drinker"

Collapse -
That's Leo's opinion
by rayray8822 / August 15, 2007 5:12 AM PDT

. . . and he's entitled to it. Tomolly certain wouldn't BAN him for skirting the "no-politics" rule.

Besides, no matter what your party affiliation (or lack of it in my case), if you ignore/avoid politics, then you're just asking for politics and politicians to invade your life. Ted Stevens' "tubes" are a prime example.

In this day and age, we all need to be at least AWARE of what's going on in Washington (or London, or Canberra, or Ottawa, or wherever) or we take the risk of them passing some sweeping law that will make our lives totally SUCK ! ! ! (read: tiered internet)

Collapse -
He crossed the line
by cparish / August 15, 2007 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: That's Leo's opinion

Just because I want to choose when and where I listen to politics does not mean I do not stay informed. A tech podcast is at the top of the list of places I don't want to be bothered with politics .

I don't want to listen to a technical podcast where Leo almost mocks those that disagree with him. He is welcome to add a political podcast to his fifty million other podcasts he does. But he (and cnet) are in the business of keeping listeners, not running them off by breaking format and talking about things that even Molly says that listeners don't want to hear.

Collapse -
I see what you're saying
by rayray8822 / August 17, 2007 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: He crossed the line

I too think Leo has no business slamming Bush on BOL, just because Bush's approval ratings are low enough that he thinks it's "safe" to do so (I seem to remember Leo saying something like that). I say, if that pisses you off, then vote with your wallet and don't listen to Leo's stuff. If he does it enough, then he'll start losing sponsors. Money talks.

The point I was making is that we can't afford to have "short attention spans" when it comes to politics anymore, especially when it comes to technology and the way lawmakers stick their noses in it when, like Tomolly are always saying, they have such a ginormous lack of understanding of the technology on which they're passing judgement. It's up to us to KNOW which of these jokers don't know their *** from a hole in the ground and vote them out of office . . . though in Ted Steven's case, he might be heading to prison first.

Collapse -
Politics matters
by Nicholas Buenk / August 17, 2007 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: He crossed the line

It's not wise to ignore it just because you're interested in technology at the moment.

Collapse -
Don't understand your point
by cparish / August 17, 2007 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Politics matters

There is a time and place for everything. When politics and technology cross paths I don't mind talking about them. But leave the bashing to Air America.

Collapse -
Leo Banned. Crappy Title = Crappy Reporting.
by wizkids32 / August 15, 2007 7:13 AM PDT

I thought that was funny title wow did you get it that guy from Maryland was band and Leo was band because of what he said that it was better being on his show because he answers questions they were being funny I guess you didn't get it at all.

Collapse -
(NT) Wow, everyone is so angry!
by robstak / August 15, 2007 10:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Anyone would think this was the crankygeeks podcast...
by Nicholas Buenk / August 15, 2007 11:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) LOL ROF LMAO
by merrybrown / August 20, 2007 12:38 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.