Laptops forum

General discussion

lenovo error power surge on hub

by notsobright1 / January 1, 2010 1:30 PM PST

I have a lenovo 3000, had a usb hub in the port with a wireless mouse attached,, I pulled the hub out, got a power surge at hub warning,,then the mouse would not work,,tried to reboot laptop, now it will not restart, the fan starts and then stops, but the screen stays black.
can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lenovo error power surge on hub
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lenovo error power surge on hub
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go to the top of this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 12:48 AM PST

In the sticky post try the generic reset the make the call to lenovo.com to see about repair.
Bob

Collapse -
more help
by notsobright1 / January 2, 2010 3:08 AM PST

Bob
What is a sticky post, and how do I get to a reset if I cant turn on the computer?
thanks Maureen

Collapse -
The sticky post is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: more help

At the top of this forum posts.

The reset is done without turning it on as noted in the sticky post.
Bob

Collapse -
duh
by notsobright1 / January 2, 2010 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: The sticky post is

still no idea what a sticky post is???
thanks

Collapse -
In this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: duh

Look at the posts in this forum. At the top is one with a STICKY NOTE icon on it. We use that to save time for useful information and recurring questions.

Imagine if we didn't have such. The forum could not help as many folk.
Bob

Collapse -
sticky note
by notsobright1 / January 2, 2010 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: In this forum.

the only one on the top of the page is beside,,how to disassemble a toshiba laptop,,is that the right one?
thanks
Maureen

Collapse -
Again, sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: sticky note

Try the other sticky post. The reset is about post 6 there. Sorry to hear the forum is hard to use.

Collapse -
(NT) Oops. It's post 5 today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: Again, sorry.
Collapse -
power surge at hub
by notsobright1 / January 2, 2010 1:26 PM PST

I found the right post and sticky note,,,I tried the reset instructions,,sadly this did not help me, wish I would have read the rest of the warning before I had restarted the laptop in the first place, anyother suggestions would be a big help,
thank you all
Maureen

Collapse -
Sadly the news looks grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2010 12:50 AM PST

If there is a black screen at all times and you did the generic reset then it's time to ask the maker's support what to do next. My bet is they'll replace the main board.
Bob

Collapse -
power surge on hub
by notsobright1 / January 3, 2010 4:15 AM PST

thank you for your help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.