Desktops forum

Question

Lenovo 3000 J Series Desktop Won't Boot Up

I have a Lenovo 3000 J Series desktop. It has been running fine for years. However, today I tried installing a SATA to IDE converter, which I have used on another computer (same converter itself), to be able to use a SATA DVD-R drive, as the old DVD drive had died, and now the Lenovo will power up but won't boot up. Here's what I did:

1) Shut down Windows, turned computer off.

2) Opened side panel, put converter into IDE ribbon slot, connected power and data cables to DVD-R drive.

3) Turned PC back on. The fans go on, and I can hear the hard drive spin up, but the monitor never registers a signal, and the fans keep spinning at full speed the whole time instead of slowing down, as they usually do.

4) Turned PC off.

5) Removed converter and cables.

6) Turned PC on. Same deal with the fans, etc. It doesn't boot up.

I can't imagine that using this converter once could have killed it. I heard no popping, smelled no burning, saw no flashing. It just won't boot up now. I don't know what to do. Please help me get the computer back on!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lenovo 3000 J Series Desktop Won't Boot Up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lenovo 3000 J Series Desktop Won't Boot Up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Google

In reply to: Lenovo 3000 J Series Desktop Won't Boot Up

for the hardware maintenance manual, look for motherboard picture, find the Clear CMOS jumper, read instructions, reset the CMOS memory to default, and try booting again. btw a sata DVD drive is <$15.

Collapse -
Resetting CMOS Did Not Work

In reply to: Google

That didn't do it. Same symptoms.

I am at a total loss. What could have caused this? I have never had a computer fail to boot up like this before.

(re: $15 SATA DVD drive, that is exactly what I bought. I had no free, matching SATA ports on the board, so I also bought a $10 SATA to IDE converter and connected it to the unused IDE port. Did you just have to try to get that little "gotcha" in, or what? Is that the price of asking a question on this board, having to indulge someone else's mean streak and pathetic sense of superiority derived from helping those in need? I had no desire to get a new PC whatsoever, yet that's what it's looking like I have to do. So do you think I am going to be laughing along with you??)

Collapse -
Answer
Something's odd here.

I've yet to see a PC with less than 2 SATA ports but have found owners the fill all ports with HDDs and well, that's a long discussion about this or why many IDE SATA adapters fail.

OK. It is possible that something came unplugged or burned out. Try going over the PC, checking that all parts are firmly seated (with the power removed for safety.) If it fails to start, downsize the PC to the basic parts and if that fails it needs repair.
Bob

Collapse -
Indicator lights stay on at startup

In reply to: Something's odd here.

Maybe this will be useful info: I've noticed that when it starts up, the indicator lights on the front of the machine (power and processor usage, whatever they are), stay fully lit steadily.

Collapse -
Only useful when used with other measures.

In reply to: Indicator lights stay on at startup

For example that can happen with a failed PSU. That's where the tech strips it down to do the GREEN WIRE TEST and pulls out the Volt Meter but I still can't guess why there is a single SATA port. The Lenovo I glanced at had 4 ports. The Lenovo 3000 J series desktop includes 17 base configurations but I can find all 17 to see if one has a single SATA channel, but my bet is all had 2 or more.
Bob

Collapse -
Change PSU? Simpler Option?

In reply to: Only useful when used with other measures.

PSU has a green light in back, and again the fans and HDD do start up, just doesn't boot up. I do have a multimeter but have not used it much. Can you recommend a procedure for testing it? I think I also have a spare PSU I could try if you think it could be the problem. Not sure why when it was working fine just before this (minus the previous DVD drive dying).

(BTW about SATA ports, the hard drive uses one, and technically there is another free next to it, but it's a different size/shape than the DVD-R drive wanted, so I opted for the IDE converter instead. Did not realize I would be facing this problem, especially since I had already used the same converter on another PC with no problems.)

Collapse -
PSU was not compatible

In reply to: Change PSU? Simpler Option?

Well the PSU I had was not compatible (wrong cables), so I couldn't test it. And I took out some pieces and then plugged it in, and I was noticing that it turned on by itself as soon as I plugged in the cable in the back.

Collapse -
Odd.

In reply to: PSU was not compatible

I've used The Green Wire Test and a Volt Meter for decades. Truly a first if this is so. What readings are you getting powered up in the set?
Bob

Collapse -
You misunderstood

In reply to: Odd.

I meant that I had a spare PSU that I was going to try to use in the Lenovo, but it wasn't compatible with the motherboard.

I haven't tried the GWT. If that is a standard thing, I guess I will search on it for the procedure, since you are not explaining it to me.

Collapse -
Duplicating the web

In reply to: You misunderstood

Would be duplicating the web. Once in a while folk insist on duplication which is fine and all but as this is all free advice and sharing what we do in the shop, the short version should do and then we can check the results.

I know some get upset about that but asking me to type it in again with possibilities I may miss a step or not write it just the way you want, well, if I send you to the web, you can find this test and if one article doesn't do it for you, then you can pick another.

Hopefully you can see why I don't duplicate the web on these more common things.
Bob

Collapse -
A bit melodramatic

In reply to: Duplicating the web

Yes R. Proffitt, please duplicate the entire web for me. Or just send a link.

It's not help unless it's actually helpful. I did not even know that the Green Wire Test you referred to was a standard term.

Nevermind, I am just buying a new one. Useless.

Collapse -
Sure I can google that for you.

In reply to: A bit melodramatic

Collapse -
Hear me when I tell you...

In reply to: Sure I can google that for you.

It was not even clear from your post that "Green Wire Test" was a standard term versus some personal jargon of yours, hence my not searching in a search engine for it (as I have already explained). Also this may have been an opportunity for you to give your own take on it, which might be superior to anything already written about it. But please excuse me for asking, since we are already communicating, for you to share your own take on it. No, that's "duplicating the web" and possibly straining your precious finger muscles.

You know, maybe this trend will catch on, and every time IRL when someone asks an honest question, we can all just respond with, "Google it, jerk." That will be great. It could even replace schools. I can see it now: the school bus will pull up, and the bus driver will just say, "Go back inside and Google it," and then drive away.

For everyone who thinks "Let me Google that for you" makes you super cool, know that people ask questions in cumbersome web fora when they are totally lost, too lost for a search engine -- desperate. So it's not helpful in any way to start accusing us of being too lazy for look for an answer independently. It wasn't the case here, and it usually isn't the case. I see dozens of these threads on various fora where some sarcastic poster thinks he's going to show up some noob with a LMGTFY link, when really the poster has already explained that they searched on it and didn't understand the results, or they didn't even know what to look for. So who's too lazy to read then?

Anyway, why am I bothering? You know a thread is dead when R. Proffitt starts posting on it. The sad thing is that Proffitt posts on this forum so frequently that it is obvious he has nothing better to do with his days, yet he still doesn't have time to share a link or explanation on the Green Wire Test. Got too many other threads to muck up with his disconnected ramblings, I suppose, which are almost as good as the first respondent above, who wrote "Google" as the subject line and then gave wrong advice about resetting the CMOS. You are all so smart, I just can't take it. I guess it is time for me just to delete my useless CNET account.

Collapse -
No need to get testy here. Let me try to explain

In reply to: Hear me when I tell you...

what I think is being suggested. A PC's power supply won't normally turn on without some kind of load attached. It's a safety feature of sorts. The "green wire test" allows a person to force the PS to turn on and bring up its voltages so that they can be tested with a voltmeter/DVM and see if they are in range. It also allows one to determine if a power up failure is due to the PS and not something like the start switch, loose connection, etc. Basically, you locate the one green wire found in the power supply's MB connector and short it to a black wire. See link below

http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

The green wire is pin 14 so 13 or 15 will do. A bent paperclip inserted into the jacks usually works. From the diagram you can see the voltages that should be made available to read. You use your voltmeter between the supply you desire to read and one that's "common"\black. When I do this, I start with the connector unplugged from the MB. If all voltages are OK, I plug it into the MB and repeat the test. If all voltages remain within range when plugged in, your PS is probably good. If not, you have either an excessive load or a weakened PS. The test doesn't always find the culprit but helps keep one from chasing their tail too much when troubleshooting.

Just a caution. You don't want to leave pins jumpered for any longer than it takes to make voltage readings as some failure conditions can be made worse. I usually disconnect power to hard drives when I do this but may reconnect them later if I'm looking for what might be dragging a voltage down.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Sorry you took that so badly.

In reply to: Hear me when I tell you...

I hope you can get the test done so we can see if the PSU is OK.

All skill levels arrive here and even using the acronym PSU may push some to ask what that is. I'm always wondering if a person is inside a PC is unfamiliar with the parts should be in there. But everyone has to start somewhere.

I did not respond with Google It Jerk but hoped by explaining why I didn't detail the Green Wire Test was not done.

That way you can find a write you like versus what I may offer. Also, you can get that done then we can move to other ideas.

I see you are upset over a failed PC and now this. I've repaired thosands of PCs over the years so here's something more I want to share. Ready?

While this sounds like a failed motherboard or some assembly problem there are some areas we can check in the forum pretty fast and easy. Look at the number of posts about this Green Wire Test and then you got upset about me pointing you back to the web for the reasons given.

I'll keep trying if you will.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Probable bad PSU

Reading your OP and the others to a point, I can see the difficulty in a fix. IMHO, you're installing a new card may have been too much and caused a problem. removing it didn't return to normal, because a probable power leg became too weak and continues to show bad results. You also stated you have an older PC which now after several yrs. from wear&tear reached a tipping point and caused your issue.

Regardless and as other offered the solution is to replace the PSU. You can test all you want but generally you can't fix the PSU unless capable. However, you can determine to a point that the PSU is bad. The green wire test to jumper the PSU alone w/o a load is suppose to offer if at least it does power-ON. If not, then for sure its bad, plain and simple. If it works you can check the voltages and levels they require but normally that still doesn't check the "amps". the short point is that's about as far as you can go.

As for "testy reply post" understand when you ask questions many offer to suggest this or that and quite frankly many times the answer is already listed under some google search. if one doesn't make sense to you another link may. at the same time, this forum isn't about teaching PC 101, that won't be the case unless its a simple fix. If you review the many posts across all forums here, you'll find many replies suggesting a google search. If for nothing else, the more explained version and maybe a YouTube link would greatly improve on any text answer typed here. This post is not to child you but offer what can be gotten here. You may have seen my many posts as well. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!