Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

lending mp3 CDs to friends, what's the deal?

i'm about to start buying mp3s legally Silly i was wondering, how does it work if you were going to lend an mp3 CD to a friend. i mean, you'd basically MAKE them the CD, and then by faith everyone assumes they won't copy it, and that they'll eventually throw away or give back the CD. ALSO, you'd still have the mp3s on file and be able to listen to them youself and burn them for yourself, so, it's just kinda weird. i have a friend who probably wouldn't accept any CD-R with music on it unless she knew it was completely legit. i like the way she thinks and it's making me realize i need to legitamize my mp3 collection.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lending mp3 CDs to friends, what's the deal?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lending mp3 CDs to friends, what's the deal?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The deal is fairly simple.

In reply to: lending mp3 CDs to friends, what's the deal?

You pay for your music. You don't make copies of it for other people. If you want to sell music that you own, you don't keep a copy for yourself. If two, or more, people are listening to your music at the same time, you've stolen the extra copy.

Collapse -
Exactly...

In reply to: The deal is fairly simple.

Yes, people do occasionally lend others a CD to listen to, play at a party, etc, which is generally fine. However, the second they make a copy of the CD, rip it to their computer, etc. with the intent of keeping a copy after they give the CD back to you it is a matter of piracy on their part. You would also be guilty if you knew what they were going to do and gave them the CD anyways.

Also, as Kiddpeat said, while your friend has possession of the CD you may not play/use any copies you may have in your posession...you have basically temporarilly transferred rights to your friend.

While purchasing music instead of pirating it is certainly a good, and significant, step in the right direction there's still a fine line that needs to be walked if you want to follow the letter of the law.

John

Collapse -
Heck, I know people who won't accept a stolen car.

In reply to: lending mp3 CDs to friends, what's the deal?

Enough said?

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.