HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

legaldownloads.com & MP3s on Audio Player that plays CDs

by hismajestytrama / August 15, 2007 7:36 AM PDT

hello I found a site that allows 9cent downloads per mp3 song, from artists/bands of all kinds. The site/business is based in Russia. Does any one know if this is a legit site?

and does anyone know of any software that I can burn mp3s onto a CD-R disc that will play on a Sony 10 disc changer, that only plays Audio CD-R or Audio CDs?

What I want to do is burn mp3s onthe disc, but have the player read them as Audio tracks (like on an regular CD). Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: legaldownloads.com & MP3s on Audio Player that plays CDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: legaldownloads.com & MP3s on Audio Player that plays CDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
correction on download site, legalsounds.com
by hismajestytrama / August 15, 2007 11:40 AM PDT

the actual site for this downloading mp3s is called legalsounds.com, just don't know how legal it is. Any input is appreciated

Collapse -
Questionable
by ktreb / August 15, 2007 3:00 PM PDT

There was another Russian site called allofmp3.com that sold music similarly to legalsounds.com. They claimed to be legitimate because they were within Russian copyright law. The Russian government shut the site down and prosecuted its owner. However, he was recently acquitted. But the site remains closed. But what happened to everyone's accounts?

http://news.com.com/Russian+prosecutors+seek+jail+time+for+Allofmp3.com+owner/2100-1030_3-6198520.html?tag=news.3

I wouldn't use the site myself for a couple of reasons. One, I wouldn't want to be targeted by the music companies (who knows, they could try to bully the credit card companies into giving up some information - ok, so I'm paranoid). And two, I don't want to give up my credit card or banking information to a questionable company who may not remain in business.

In regards to your question regarding burning mp3s to cd: You can use whatever software that came with your pc. You are burning audio cds rather than mp3 cds. Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, iTunes, just to name a few, all do this. You create a playlist (depending on the software, you may need to create a specific burn list), insert a blank cd, then click "burn".

Here's a link to Microsoft's website, using Windows Media Player. Although the instructions are specific to WMP and Windows Vista, you can use this information for other players as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/windowsvista/using.aspx

Collapse -
legaldownloads.com
by erikkluiber / October 19, 2009 3:43 AM PDT

I forwarded this site to the owner of Earache Records who is our label. I thought legaldownloads.con was very suspect of being an illegal pirating bootlegging operation. 9 cents a song?.... Come on.

Sure enough, Digby confirmed that this is an illegal site. Here's his reply

"There have been such sites operating for years- they look legit but are not licensed by the labels- they last about 1 year before closed down by lawyers representing the major labels.

Then they launch again under a new name

The name legalsounds is such a piss take. Its illegal.

The trouble is that in Russia is a law that says if sites pay the mechanical royalty (for songwriters) then they are legal ? whether they have the rights or even pay the recording artists or labels for the recording.

The russian sites exploit this loophole to exist."

So if you're wondering if this is a legit site, Legaldownloads.com IS NOT A LEGIT SITE. It's a pirating site, and they don't pay the performers, songwriters, or record labels. It's pure stealing. If you care about supporting artists, please download through legit sites like itunes, cdbaby.com, amazon, etc.

thanks,
ERiK Kluiber
White Wizzard

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.