Speakeasy forum

General discussion

"legal" Blackmail?????

by TONI H / November 3, 2009 7:16 PM PST

Play nice with the unions and change your eductional laws to what you are told or you don't even get consideration for educational funds????

Reform and transformation of our country has completely gotten out of hand and the speed that it's happening is scarier than anything I've seen during my whole life.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091104/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_schools

TONI H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "legal" Blackmail?????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "legal" Blackmail?????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WHO would want this?
by JP Bill / November 3, 2009 8:04 PM PST
In reply to: "legal" Blackmail?????

Obama wants states to pursue ? tougher academic standards, better ways to recruit and keep effective teachers, a method of tracking student performance and a plan of action to turn around failing schools.

Collapse -
The way I see it
by TONI H / November 3, 2009 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: WHO would want this?

Since this blackmail money will only go to select states, the rest are being forced to participate for a chance to win that lottery. Charter schools are high on Obama's priority list and suspect that only states that put their focus on creating them or building up existing ones will actually see any of those funds. That will leave an awful lot of public schools sitting on the sidelines like the kid with his nose pressed against a window watching others having a good time at a party that he didn't get invited to.

TONI H

Collapse -
(NT) RE: blackmail money?........Carrot/Stick?
by JP Bill / November 3, 2009 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: The way I see it
Collapse -
Here's hoping my state does! No $$$ for past mandate.
by Angeline Booher / November 3, 2009 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: WHO would want this?

It's been hard for charter schools to start due to union opposition. But it's been even harder to watch the schools fail in their mission.

And hard for my state to pay for government education wants/mandates without any financial help.

It is up to each individual state to decide whether or not they want to participate, Some of the wealthy areas in different states might not feel it is necessary, and that's fine. But those that chose to accept it should not be maligned

With this the states actually have had a chance to get some money to pay for what an administration wanted, or even mandated..

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
The problem is
by TONI H / November 3, 2009 10:59 PM PST

that even if states DO try to meet the mandates, that isn't a guarantee that those states will get the 'lottery' since only a handful will receive funds. It's a national 'mandate' but only a few will benefit from it. If ALL of the states were able to get funding if they met the mandated agenda, I don't know how much hollering in protest I would be doing, but the way it stands right now, I'm not happy with 'selective' funding since the NEA would be the decision maker and not 'sharing the wealth' for all of the states.

TONI H

Collapse -
My state has a low ranking
by Angeline Booher / November 3, 2009 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: "legal" Blackmail?????

..... and the low scores are not limited to rural areas as my local school district has nothing to brag about. More money per se has not been the answer as "ranking" teachers" as to performance has been a no-no and fought by the teacher unions.

There are many in the teachers unions who are "in the trenches' and more than willing to join in the effort

Charter school have been a recent addition to my city, and so far have been successful. (Just my opinion, but these schools have offered an alternative choice for students and parents who want to benefit from the higher expectations.)

A lot of the better local teachers fled to the private schools as it became more impossible for them to teach. The charter schools and the better public ones offer students and their families a choice tuition-free, The obligation then exists that they continue to teach.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
IMHO. its all about the ducets
by Willy / November 3, 2009 11:13 PM PST

Charter schools may work because they offer smaller classes and dedicated teachers and students that seem to want to learn. BUT, they also suck money from school districts. Plus, some of the earlier charters seem to lack any control on spending and appear to get started solely on public funds. Some fail too and where are those students? Yeah, public school districts I just never felt comfortable and they have to take "everybody" and that means the less willing students that cause far too many problems. Before charters, I recall some school districts offering "magnet schools" that were under the public school system. <---- I wonder how they fared?

If someone points out, the "no student left behind" program, let's remember all to often the test was taught rather teaching the std. curriculum so scores were high thus really artificial. -----Willy

Collapse -
"Magnet" schools very successful here.
by Angeline Booher / November 4, 2009 12:45 AM PST

I reckon they also "suck money" from the public schools as a whole. But, IMO, their success lies in the dedicated teachers and students. I can leave out the parents who have to find a way to get them to school (no school buses available for our magnets.)

It appears we finally got a Director who is dedicated to improving all. In doing so, he led a rezoning school districts to better utilize facilities and resources. But there is a "stop order" suit brought by one set of parents before the local federal court claiming it is an effort to re-segregate our schools. Decision is under advisement.

IMO, there is always somebody who resists change and will sue. I think in the past we have been "held hostage" to that threat, and been afrais to look at different approaches to problem solving. "No child left behind" didn't help, and did "suck money" from the budget without results.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.