Samsung forum

General discussion

LED TV UE27D5000 does not detect Component, AV signals

by AdrienBeau / August 16, 2011 12:05 AM PDT

I bought a EU27D5000 last week. Everything is working fine, except for the Component/AV connector at the back. Angry

Basically I want to connect my Samsung DVD-P244 to the Samsung EU27D5000 using the component cables I bought for that occasion.

Here's what I have tried:

- Connect the DVD player to the TV using the SCART adapter: works fine (but there are a few ghost images).

- Connect the DVD player to the TV using the component and audio cables as documented: no signal detected on the TV (but it knows that there are cables, since not plugging the adapter results in a different message).

- Verify the adapter is well plugged in the TV (verified this many, many times...)

- Try all available output settings on the DVD player (if I remember correctly: Video, S-Video, Component I, Component P, SCART PAL, SCART NTSC): no signal detected on the TV.

- Try the same without the audio cables: no signal detected on the TV.

- Try the same while doing several permutations of the Red, Green, Blue plugs on the adapter, in case some outputs are miswired: no signal detected on the TV.

- Connect the DVD player to the TV using a SCART adapter that extracts the AV and audio signal from the SCART plug. From the TV point of view, only the yellow video cable and the audio cables are plugged in the adapter. As documented, this should be received as an AV signal by the TV. No signal detected on the TV! Also, it still believes Component cables are plugged in, selecting AV as an input source gives a "source not connected" message. Only once did I get some kind of AV detection, but still no signal.

- Try all available output settings on the DVD player with the above connections: no signal detected on the TV.

- Try all available output settings on the DVD player while connecting the yellow video cable to the three different component inputs of the adapter (in case it has been mis-wired): no signal detected on the TV.

- Try reversing the input/output setting of the SCART adapter, just in case I was confused: no signal detected on the TV.

- For what it's worth, with an ohmmeter, measure the resistance of the component and audio cables! As expected, I get around 0 between parts that should be connected together (for example, the two pins of the same cable), and around infinity between parts that should not be connected together (for example, one pin of one cable, and the outer ring of the same cable). In other words, all cables are correctly wired.

- For what it's worth, with an ohmmeter, measure the connectivity of the adapter. For every RCA plug on the adapter, I was able to find one area of the jacks where resistance was 0, whereas all other areas had infinite resistance. In other words, every RCA input leads to exactly one area on the jacks side. The adapter is wired, though maybe not properly, I have no way to know that. I can provide a schema of which RCA input leads to which area on the jacks if needed.

- For what it's worth, with a voltmeter, verify there is some kind of signal going out from the DVD player: I get about 1.5 V on each component input, and some 0.2 V on each audio input... There is some signal.

- As a final test, I went to another house, borrowed a digital camera with TV output, tested the camera with its own video cable on the video-projector that was there: we got a PAL image just fine. Went back home, plug the yellow cable to the Samsung adapter: the TV still claims that the AV input is unplugged and that the Component input is plugged. Anyway: no signal detected on the TV! Angry

Things I have not been able to test unfortunately:

- Try another player that has component output.
- Try another adapter with similar jacks (proprietary part as far as I can tell).

Apparently, I'm not the only one experiencing issues with this adapter. Here are some other threads found on this forum:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-538243.html
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-501905.html
(and a few more discussions elsewhere on the Internet)

Also, I've noticed the adapter jacks are not perfectly parallel. This does not prevent from plugging it into the TV (there is no need to "force" it to enter), and it feels like it makes connections inside.

But since a signal is always missing, my best guess is that there is a defect in the female part of this adapter (the female side of the jacks), inside the TV.

What should I do? Since it is brand new, should I bring it back to my vendor? If I can get a replacement TV, I'm fine with it, but if it means sending it to some kind of workshop to have it opened, I feel the risks (waiting a long while for the TV to come back, scratches on the TV, etc.) are not worth it. After all, good upscaling DVD players can be bought for 60 € now...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LED TV UE27D5000 does not detect Component, AV signals
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LED TV UE27D5000 does not detect Component, AV signals
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Up
by AdrienBeau / August 16, 2011 4:32 PM PDT

So, nobody has a clue why AV and Component input would not work? All other D5000 owners got them to work without issues? Plain

Collapse -
Let's say your stuff is fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2011 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Up

I'd get the dealer to take a look.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll bring it back in a couple of hours
by AdrienBeau / August 17, 2011 7:10 PM PDT

I've talked with a store employee; after the usual diagnostic discussion (did you plug it correctly, etc.), they're willing to exchange it. I've brought it to work this morning, I'll go to the store during my lunch break.

I'm glad I'm dealing with a competitive brick 'n mortar chain store with a nice "defective purchase" 10-days return policy. Happy

(My arms are glad the TV is so light-weight, too! Grin )

Collapse -
Replacement is working fine
by AdrienBeau / August 21, 2011 5:47 PM PDT

I'm glad to report that the new unit the store gave me is working perfectly fine! Grin

Problem solved.

Collapse -
It happens.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 4:08 AM PDT

While some disagree I think a swap at the store is the fastest fix.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?