Laptops forum

General discussion

Leaving laptop on for days at a time? Questions.

by MasterofAvalon / April 9, 2006 1:45 PM PDT

I am pretty much always doing something on my laptop, whether it is for work (i work remotely from my home office) as well as play and research, music, etc. it is pretty much my shrine, i love my laptop.

Specs: Compaq Presario r3360us with a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 w/ HT and 1280 Gig DDR memory.

I would like to leave my laptop on overnight once in a while for virus/spyware scans and defragmentation. i have been reading both sides of threads about leaving your laptop on overnight.

the biggest factor in the debates were heat issues. however, heat is not my problem, as the laptop runs surprisingly cool, even when loaded. it has two fans in it, but one runs constantly, the entire time the laptop is turned on (this is how it is supposed to be, the fans are slightly different).

with heat not being a factor, MY QUESTION IS whether my fan running 24/7 will eventually break and cause my lappy to overheat. HOW LONG DO THESE LITTLE FANS USUALLY LAST IN TERMS OF WEAR? Has anyone had a fan break under normal use, and how long until it happened?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Leaving laptop on for days at a time? Questions.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Leaving laptop on for days at a time? Questions.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Set the power setting
by nino88 / April 9, 2006 9:19 PM PDT

to go to standby after the computer is idle for an hour or so. It should give enough time for all your virus/spyware scanning. The following day, you can wake the computer up by pressing any button and continue to check the results.

Collapse -
If I were to do this..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 9:53 PM PDT

I'd put it on a laptop cooling pad. Fans do wear out and frankly to run a laptop 24x7 should be fine but then again some laptops will promptly overheat and reboot, lockup or freeze. Those Pentium 4 HT CPU based units being almost assured to not run 24x7.

If you remember, desktops also need a new fan every few years and some maintenance to clean off the collected dust. The laptop is not immune to the same maintenance. The downside is that laptops and their service just costs more.

Bottomline? Get a cooling pad. Even if you think the laptop runs cool.

The fans last longer in a clean environment. So no one can tell you it lasts 2 years since dust or dirt in the air will bring that down to just a few months. If the air was clean it may go for over 5 years (we have an office with very old laptops.)

Collapse -
Cooling pad + fans on bottom?
by MasterofAvalon / April 10, 2006 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: If I were to do this..

thank you for the reply.

my laptop really does stay very cool. i also clean out the fans regularly with air as well as removing the bottom cover and getting out any gunk or dust inside.

i do actually have a cooling pad, but i have some worries about the unit.

the fans on my laptop suck air in from the bottom and blow it out the back. the fans on my cooler pull air down, so it's like creating a vacume between the cooler and the laptop because air is being pulled away from the laptop whereas the laptop is pulling air inside in order to cool itself.

this is my worry and the reason why right now i dont use my laptop cooler.

my main concern is the lifetime of the fan, keeping in mind it is maintained regularly (i really try to take good care of this thig).

any other thoughts? thanks.

Collapse -
Not a vacuum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 8:58 PM PDT

You may be overanalyzing. Laptops are pricey so we don't use them as mini-servers except where it makes sense. I'll share what we do but won't debate it.

Collapse -
by MasterofAvalon / April 10, 2006 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: If I were to do this..

This is considered to be a desktop replacement unit. It has been running for almost 2 years without a problem. The lappy is also under 3-year best buy warrenty.

Collapse -
anyone else?
by MasterofAvalon / April 12, 2006 1:59 PM PDT

anyone else? thanx

Collapse -
by hypno444 / April 12, 2006 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: anyone else?

I run my emachines 5305 24/7 with nary a problem, I have it on a passive "cooling pad", but the biggest difference, aside from cleaning the fan, was to install SpeedswitchXP. This slows down the CPU when max speed is not required and allows it to run cooler. Just my 2 cents.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?