Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"LCFINST" error message when I boot Windows 98

I'm getting an "LCFINST" error message when I boot Windows 98. Any idea why or what to do to correct it?

Full Message:
LCFINST caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 00de:0063dbff

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "LCFINST" error message when I boot Windows 98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "LCFINST" error message when I boot Windows 98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: "LCFINST" error message when I boot Windows 98

In reply to: "LCFINST" error message when I boot Windows 98

This seems to be a Light Client Framework install. Whatever that may be and whereever it may come from.
Just mention it, because it might help you to remember where you got it from.

I would do the following things:
- Locate the file in Explorer (could be in c:\windows or c:\windows\system).
- Have a look at its properties (exe-files often say something about what they are and who made them).
- If not obviously reliable (given your history) have this file checked by your anti-virus program. Just for safety.
- Then run MSCONFIG from the Start>Run box, go to the Startup tab and uncheck the running of this program. This should suppress the message.
- Then post back with the results of all this.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Re: "LCFINST" error message when I boot Windows 98

I managed to disable this message in msconfig, but now my internet explorer and lotus notes6 is seem not working. My lotus notes is hang when i open and internet explorer is not able to connect. Please advise. Thanks

Collapse -
Strange.

In reply to: Re:

If run the program it gives an error message, and if you don't run it, other things don't work. It seems it does some useful things before quitting.
So better enable it again. That's an easy choice, it seems to me.

Then follow CharleyO's advice. You seem to have some unusual things on your machine. Maybe it came second hand from an office network? Then better contact the system manager so he can make it running correctly stand-alone. Or at least tell you how to do so yourself.

If posting again, please tell the history of the machine, and what non-standard software is installed.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: "LCFINST" error message when I boot Windows 98

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.