TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

by sobishop / July 17, 2006 6:06 AM PDT

I have a dilema. I have been studying TVs for quite sometime now. I know what I want but I can't decide between the different technologies that are currently available.

To me, LCD's currently seem to be the more stable of the three I'm considering and here is why:

Plasma - "Burn-in" (especially with video games)

DLP Projection - $200 to $300 lamp that gradually becomes darker and then needs replacing as soon as the warranty ends (knowing my luck)

LCD - Possible "dead" pixels (only visible if you get really close)

I didn't even bother including a CRT. I'm not about to lug around a 200lbs+ TV. Also, I don't have the room to set up a projector, so that was instantly ruled out.

Of course there are other variables to consider; price, screen size, etc....

I need your help guys. Tell me what you decided on and how you feel about your purchase so far. Do you regret it or are you happy and feel confident that you made the right choice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD vs. PLASMA vs. DLP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD vs. PLASMA vs. DLP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Psych Doc / July 17, 2006 6:13 AM PDT

LCD never quite looks "right." The colors are overly saturated and there's just something articicial about the way it looks. Oh yes, it has a lot of "wowiw, zowie" effect, but that wears off quickly.

DLP is simply unwatchable. The limitations in viewing angle are simply unacceptable unless you plan on being dead center on axis in front of it every time you watch.

Plasma remains the way to go!

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / July 17, 2006 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

You should never ask which display is best in In fact all 3 displays look great you have to take the time and see which on you like. My opinion is I love the picture on my d.l.p. toshiba 72" It does not dim out watching from the sides has tons of brightness and the picture is razor sharp. And to back up this statement They use 3 chip d.l.p. technology in movie theaters. I do agree plasma sets look ok but right now they are to small and tooo expensive. The best way is to go to a high end retailer and check out there displays because they are calibrated properly and hooked up to a good vidio hi-def sourse and in the proper setting good luck stewee

Collapse -
by alfred3x / July 17, 2006 1:50 PM PDT

The new Sony SXRDs should be a good choice. Price is pretty good for the value of the TV (1080p for PS3 since you mentioned gaming). The 50 inch is only about 75 lbs, which is pretty comparable to the other three options you mentioned.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?