TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LCD vs. Plasma For Gaming

Right now im looking to replace a 40 inch Samsung LNS4051DX that is about 2 years old that i play an xbox 360 on. Great tv, picture looks great for something that is only 4000 to 1 contrast ratio, but my friend just bought a Samsung LN46A630 LCD, and the picture blows my tv away. Is it mainly because of the response time (4 ms) and refresh rate (120 hz)? Or the better constrast ratio, making the picture that much better? I've been reading that 1080p is pointless at the smaller sizes, but i want everything else that comes with the new 1080p t.v's. I'm considering buying a plasma because i have been told that there is absolutely no motion blurring affect due to the nature of the technology, but am afraid of the supposed 'burn in' from gaming on the tv. I'm also using the tv as a computer monitor, which i have also heard bad things about plasmas being used as monitors. Im considering getting the samsung 630 or 650 series in either 40 or 46 inches; if plasmas were the way to go what is a comparable tv?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD vs. Plasma For Gaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD vs. Plasma For Gaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
depends

In reply to: LCD vs. Plasma For Gaming

on how many hours you game. I would NEVER use a Plasma as a computer monitor.

1080p, that also depend how far you sit.

just get the the new 650 samsung or a sony Z or V series.... also go for the 46 you will be happier in the end

Collapse -
/

In reply to: LCD vs. Plasma For Gaming

If you buy a reputable brand like samsung, panasonic, or pioneer, burn-in is a thing of the past.

My main question is, do you do a lot of online gaming (mainly FPS's) where if you are slow you get killed? If so, go with a plasma. If you are playing games like Mario Kart go with an LCD; better picture quality.

As for you previous information; Blurring DOES occur on LCD, dont care if its 120Hz or not; Because of the level of detail computers output, a plasma would be a poor choice for a computer monitor; If you go with an LCD, the A650 is a fine choice Happy

Collapse -
Same boat

In reply to: /

I actually thought this was a question I posted a while back.
So, I'm this is what I have learned.

Plasma is better for gaming, faster respond, but not that good to be used as computer monitor.

LCD 120mz 4ms is pretty good for gaming, better use as monitor.

I always thought LCD was the way to go. But I realize they just can't keep up for gaming.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!