General discussion

LCD vs Plasma

Hi, I know that this has already been done to death but here we go, I've currently got a Panasonic 32" LCD TV (Full 1080P) but I'm contemplating switching out for a 42inch Plasma screen. (Samsung B430 series). The Plasma screen isn't full HD, only 720P. I am currently using the TV in a dorm room, sit anywhere from 3 - 6 feet away from the TV, lighting is generally good, no real sunshine when the TV is on and the TV is ONLY used for PS3 and the very occasional Blu-Ray movie. I do not use it for anything else.

Is this worth swapping for or should I stick the my LCD screen? I would think that the LCD is better, however I'm not 100% sure yet.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: LCD vs Plasma
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LCD vs Plasma
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You are comparing apples and oranges

Many people here would say that 1080p in a 32" LCD is overkill. I recently bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma 720p for a guest bedroom and it is stunning. I bought it at Costco for $470. I personally think Panasonic is better than the Sammy, but some people wold not agree. I love my LCD sets too. One very important spec on any LCD is the refresh rate. 1080p won't help on a LCD that has 8ms or higher refresh. What's the reason for a new TV?

- Collapse -
Reason for New TV

No real reason hey, looking at a 42inch, bigger screen but no other real reason. Whats the quality difference when watching 1080P blu ray movies?

- Collapse -
1080p Difference

A 42" may be too small to really see a difference for 1080p. I have my 42" 720p Plasma connected to my BR player and it looks great. There are other factors in TVs in that size that are more important than 720p vs. 1080p that affect quality of the image.

- Collapse -
Difference

I also thought that a 42inch would be too small to notice a real difference, I'm just attracted to the bigger screen, nothing more, nothing less, also I just have a thing for Plasma's. The Switch isn't costing me anything, as I am getting the 42inch new and selling my 32inch to my buddy, so I basically am just swapping the TV's out.

CNET Forums

Forum Info