TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LCD vs DLP recommendations

by zoccer / November 30, 2004 5:37 AM PST

Any recommendations on the best buy between 42' and 50'? Picture quality is most important. My Father just bought a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma and I am not impressed. What are the major pros & cons with either DLP or LCD, thanks is advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD vs DLP recommendations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD vs DLP recommendations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
just curious...
by Art / November 30, 2004 10:37 AM PST

In what way is it not impressive to you?

Collapse -
Re: just curious...
by zoccer / November 30, 2004 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: just curious...

I just thought that the picture on non-HD channels would be better. My 32 inch Toshiba is much clearer on regular channels.

Collapse -
by Wholly Kaw / December 5, 2004 4:30 PM PST
In reply to: Re: just curious...

I am with you on that. Take a look at any of the NEW sony LCD sets.

The new ones:

the KDF-42WE655 (42 Inch), the KDF-50WE655 (50 Inch).

I have compared these to plasma, crt rear projection, DLP sets from Hitachi and Mitsu and, to my eye, I could not find a better picture once it had been calibrated. Happy

Collapse -
by zoccer / December 9, 2004 10:45 PM PST

thanks I will check out the Sony LCD's this weekend.

Collapse -
by mledwards / December 9, 2004 11:49 PM PST

I have a friend with a Panasonic 50" Plasma, and I can't say I'm too impressed either. It seems to be very susceptible to noise from the cable box signal -- or that's the best I can make of the prob.

Now, your 32" is better -- well, that's a whole different story (you're comparing apples to oranges). The deal here is that with the 50" you're basically expanding the same amount of vertical lines, so with a larger screen you're more likely to see the incoming signal's imperfections (stretch your 32" to 50" and you'll see garbage there too in non-HTDV signals). The reality with non-HDTV channels is: Bigger screens amplify the intrinsic noise coming out of the cable box and such. I've noticed the big retail chains are now showing their wide/bigsceens in a way to mask this issue (direct satellite feeds with 720p to match native screen resolutions). The surprise is when you plunk down $6K for a plasma display (that will probably be at its best for 2 years) and come home, hook it up to your cable box and see all the noise the cable company and underlying media providers are sending you that you didn't previously discern on smaller size/resolution screens.

Collapse -
by BONSPEED / December 10, 2004 2:15 AM PST

i agreed. the dirty little secret about hdtv, which ever technology you go with, is that non-hd broadcast can be very disappointing. that's why retail showrooms never show there hdtv with regular broadcast signals. sony's latest top of the line plasma retails for $20,000. imagine watching a rerun of friends on that.

Collapse -
by ticotva / December 12, 2004 9:12 AM PST

My thoughts...
The key here is matching lines of resolution in a signal, bottom line NTSC (STD) do not display well on the HDTV/ High resoltion sets. However, an Enhanced HDTV fits perfectly to the resolution of the NTSC signal broadcast from most station, so the picture looks great. It compresses and HD signal to fit it (better to have more resolution than not enough). Its not quite HD but its a tremendous picture for half the cost

Consider the 42PWD7UY Panasonic or the Hitachi Hitachi CMP-420V1 ...

Collapse -
by zoccer / December 13, 2004 1:23 AM PST

enhanced HDTV, is that EDTV ? So what your saying is that non-HD channels look good as well as when you can get an HD Channel (Which isnt very often).When will all channels come in HD ?

Collapse -
by BONSPEED / December 13, 2004 2:37 AM PST

i've compared EDTV to HDTV before i decided on my 1280/720 HITACHI. although they both display excellant hd signals, regular broadcast was still disappointing in my opinion. EDTV is not a bad way to go. they are certianly much less expensive, especially if your thinking of a plasma unit. if you have the opportunity, HDTV is the way the technology is going. check out this link for more info on EDTV/HDTV.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915.html

Collapse -
edtv
by zoccer / December 16, 2004 11:48 PM PST

I also saw a 42 in Samsung EDtv for around 2000. The picture was great. My concern was that they couldnt give me the specifics on resolution. they said somewhere around 720i. Does that make sense ? Will HD programs that are broadcast in 1080i still look good?

Collapse -
EDTV vs HDTV
by BONSPEED / December 17, 2004 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: edtv

certainly. some people perfer EDTV because they dont provide as sharp an image as HDTV. this gives you a softer picture. unless you have both EDTV and HDTV side by side to compare, you would be hard pressed to notice the difference.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!