TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LCD v.s. PLASMA OVER FIREPLACE

by a15yti / August 14, 2007 1:00 AM PDT

I'm looking to buy a flat panel tv but I have a small den so I would like to make more room by centering the tv over my gas fireplace and getting rid of my oversize entertainment center. I was looking for a 42-46 inch flat panel that would mirror the opening of my fireplace with the mantel sepperating them. Which one will handle the occassional lighting during the winter best LCD or Plasma? The fire is never on longer then an hour.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD v.s. PLASMA OVER FIREPLACE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD v.s. PLASMA OVER FIREPLACE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't do it
by kcfvegas / August 14, 2007 1:46 AM PDT

My advise to you is don't hang either above your fireplace. I know it seems like a good idea to free up space, but in the end you will regret it. First of all, the heat coming up from the fireplace, even if it is just a gas one is very bad for both LCD and plasma. Second, the TV will be much too high on the wall to watch it comfortably. It will literally be a pain in the neck. I recently bought and moved into a new house and on the only wall in the family room where the TV could go, the builder put the fireplace in the center of the wall, and then put in two built in units with a solid shelf in each one that was mantle height on each side of the fireplace, that made it so that I has no choice but to put my TV on the shelf. To make a long story short I have now ripped out that shelf and am using a TV stand the same width as the TV inside the built in. Placing the TV above the fireplace will look very nice when you are NOT watching TV, but you will hate it when you are watching TV. Buy a TV stand that will be the same width as your TV and keep your TV "eye level". That way you wont be taking up a lot of space with an entertainment center and you will still have a place to put your DVD player Sat/Cable box etc. Did you forget about them? They wont fit above the mantle, you'll still need a place to put them. In short, DON'T DO IT!

Collapse -
DITTO, LOOKS COOL AND THAT'S ABOUT ALL.
by Riverledge / August 14, 2007 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't do it

PROLONGED VIEWING WILL BE A BOTHER.

River.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?