TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

lcd v. plasma

by lls1502 / March 2, 2007 12:01 PM PST

my parents are looking for a flat screen tv and unfortunately, it has to go into a pretty bright room. they don't have the option of creating a better viewing area. which type of tv will perform better in bright conditions? right now, they have an old crt and they get terrible reflections on it.

any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lcd v. plasma
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lcd v. plasma
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reflections. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 2, 2007 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: lcd v. plasma

Two facts.

1. Plasma has a flat tempered glass front.

2. LCD has a flat plastic front although slightly frosted.

Plasma tends to be brighter. Sometimes.

Collapse -
That depends
by bkchurch / March 3, 2007 9:01 AM PST

Plasmas tend to be brighter so they'll probably look better in brighter viewing areas, but since they have a glass front they will have problems with glare whereas an LCD would not.

Collapse -
Either/or
by HTHMAN / March 3, 2007 2:05 PM PST

Depends.

If it is just a bright room, either would suit you just fine. If you would get direct reflections of windows on the screen, LCD would be a better choice. I have a plasma in a fairly bright room and it is just great. I have a RP CRT with a reflective screen in a room with a wall of windows that reflect on the screen. I can not watch it during the day. I have purchased an LCD flat panel to replace it, but it is still in the box while I finish some remodeling.

Collapse -
I 'D SUGGEST A LCoS OR LCD DISPLAY AS THEY ARE NOT .......
by Riverledge / March 3, 2007 2:40 PM PST

GLASS. THESE MODELS are not as reflective as CRT & PLASMA.

Not much to say other than audition your short list under several lighting conditions. I know it will be a bother, but better than buying an unsatisfactory set.

Good luck, river.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!