Samsung forum

Question

LCD TV Won't recognize HDMI inputs

So I have an LCD TV Model No. LN40A530P1F. I've had the TV for several years and never had any problems but all of a sudden I'm trying to hook up my HD cable box with an HDMI cable and it's not picking up the input. I had this TV hooked up to this same model cable box (not the same exact cable box...same type) with an HDMI just a few months ago and it worked fine. All other inputs appear to be working - it picks up the cable box when I plug it in to the A/V input but I paid for HD cable so I want HD. My xbox is also plugged into a component input and works. I've tried all 3 HDMI inputs on my TV and none work - the TV doesn't seem to recognize that anything is plugged in. I hit refresh on the source list and it says it doesn't detect any new devices. My first instinct was to assume that Comcast gave me a faulty HDMI cable based on their well established commitment to being the worst cable company on earth, but I bought a new one and it doesn't work either. I also tried plugging my xbox in with HDMI and it doesn't work either so I think it's obviously a problem with the TV and not the cable box.

I went on live chat with Samsung and they were totally useless. All the rep did was ask me to check the firmware version and then she said that it was up to date - which I find hard to believe since I don't remember EVER updating it since I've owned the TV. But in any case I doubt it's the problem since I had an HD cable box hooked up to this TV without problems just a few months ago.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD TV Won't recognize HDMI inputs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD TV Won't recognize HDMI inputs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: LCD TV Won't recognize HDMI inputs

In reply to: LCD TV Won't recognize HDMI inputs

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Re: LCD TV Won't recognize HDMI inputs

Nope that didn't work either.

Collapse -
Similar Problem, after several years

In reply to: Re:

Tonight, my Samsung LN40B630N started exhibiting a similar problem. None of the HDMI inputs would work, but a/v would. I started my Samsung DVD player with Anynet (?) capability and the TV did recognize the input, however ever since all of the HDMI inputs all show input from my cable box. Doesn't matter if I select 1, 2, or 3, they all show the input from 1.

Collapse -
Re: Similar Problem, after several years

In reply to: Similar Problem, after several years

Hi garygreen5,

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Provided that none of the HDMI inputs work with multiple devices, such as Blu-ray players and video game players, but those same devices work on HDMI with other TVs, then this sounds like it may need servicing. Here's the thread where you can get details on setting that up: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
SOLUTION !!!!!!!

In reply to: LCD TV Won't recognize HDMI inputs

Attention ! I have fight for a week with my Samsung Smart TV and I was sure that it does not work. MISTAKE ! Forget the way to reboot etc. The problem is in the cables ! I connected 3 different HDMI cables. If they are too big, it does not work. After connecting 2 great Monster cables I connected a cheap one with a small diameter and it works ( cable box to TV). About desktop PC. It does not see the VGA ( classic pc cable) but it sees the DVI ( the one with a larger head and an extra spear just close to the other 3 lines of spears ) . Buy a cable with DVI male on one extremity and HDMI on the other end. For the consoles you can use their original cable. Read what it is written in the TV HDMI port. They are not all the same. Remember to connect the PC cable in the HDMI / DVI port

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.