Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LCD TV pc

by prithiv12 / August 22, 2006 6:08 AM PDT

Hello everybody,

My PC has an ATI X700 pro video card which supports DVI/VGA(D-Sub) and TV Out(HDTV/S-Video/Composite Out). I also have a high end soundcard (Audigy2).
I plan on using the TV as the computer monitor for browsing and pc games. The TV will also be used for cable and an external dvd player but these will be connected to the TV directly and not through my PC.

Now to my question, what should I do about the sound? I want to get a 5 channel home theater system for movies/games/mp3s etc. How should I go about setting up the system?

Can I buy say a bose system and connect it directly to the tv? And will this system serve my computer gaming needs? Or should I buy a separate receiver and connect everything to the reciever? And if thats the case, can I connect my PC to the receiver as well?

Hoping to hear from somebody soon.............

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD TV pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD TV pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For the cost of the Bo$e system you can get,,,,,
by jcrobso / August 22, 2006 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: LCD TV pc

a good A/V reciver and realy GOOD sounding speakers!!!!!
Do you have a $$$$$ amount that you want to spemd? John

Collapse -
heres my suggestion
by masterying01 / August 22, 2006 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: LCD TV pc

if you are willing to spend more then $500, go with seperate receiver/speakers and connect everything to your receiver. this would let the receiver do most of the sound processing and save most of your ram/cpu bandwidth for your games and other stuff...and depending on the game...it might help a few fps.

if you want to spend less then $500, the ONLY computer speakers i would recommend are the Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 computer speakers. they can be found at newegg for $299 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836119106) . 214 reviews, even with people giving it 1 star (which always happens with online reviews), and it still gets an average of a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. a lot of magazines ranked these as some of the best computer speakers available...and it was on top of their lists for quite a long time. these speakers are a little old...but they're great.

bose is good if you can find it on ebay for cheap....but for retail prices that bose charges...u can get many other things.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!