Samsung forum

General discussion

LCD TV/Home theatre screen flickering problem

by enserf / June 16, 2009 11:58 AM PDT

Hi folks- I have a LA32A550D TV with attached HT-Z310 home theatre (via HDMI).
Whenever I turn it on to play a DVD, the screen flickers within the first few minutes of the movie. It starts as minor, gets worse, then usually goes totally blank for several seconds. The process lasts around 30-40 seconds, and is always within the first 5 minutes. Once it stops, it's fine for the rest of the disk- and any subsequent disks. (Until the unit is powered off & back on again.)
I have manually set the HT unit to upscale to 1080p.
The Samsung support line says it's just normal behaviour as some sort of handshake, but it's very annoying, and would like a 2nd opinion! (It also never happened with a Samsung DVD HDD recorder I previously had setup the same way.)
I am hesitant to update the firmware. I did this for the DVD HDD recorder I had previously, and killed it- after 6 weeks at the service agent & still no sign of it, the retailer agreed to give the the home theatre unit instead!
If that's just the way it is, I can live with it (I think I can just pause the movie till the flickering finishes), but otherwise any suggestions greatly appreciated.
My apologies if this has been covered before; Googling hasn't really come up with anything solid.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD TV/Home theatre screen flickering problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD TV/Home theatre screen flickering problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bumping for some feedback?
by enserf / June 18, 2009 6:29 AM PDT

Any ideas? If this is indeed normal, could some other users perhaps just confirm they have the same issue? TIA.

Collapse -
LCD TV/Home theatre screen flickering problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 19, 2009 4:35 PM PDT

enserf,

If you upscale to 1080i, does it do the same thing?

If it is a handshake issue, a different cable might be worth expirimenting with. It doesn't have to be an expensive one, but I might suggest giving that a try as well.

I'd have jumped in earlier, but it appeared you were looking for others who were dealing with this issue. I'm not sure why that would be considered "normal operation". That said, firmware updates aren't the worst idea either. If you'd like, I could see what is available. Just let me know which country you're inquiring from.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by enserf / June 22, 2009 8:12 AM PDT

Any response is good! It certainly didn't seem like normal operation to me, so at least wanted to confirm one way or the other.

It actually hasn't done it for the last 2 DVDs I've watched. (Both were from box sets of TV series that have done it before, so it can't be down to the disks themselves.)

I do have another cable somewhere- I'll dig that out and see if it makes a difference. If not, will also drop the upscaling down a notch.

As mentioned, firmware update would be a last resort. I did that for the Samsung HDD DVD recorder I had, following the instructions to the letter- but it killed it! But in answer to your question, I'm in New Zealand.

Will post results of cable swap etc. in the next few days.

Collapse -
All good so far...
by enserf / June 29, 2009 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

So far so good with the cable swap. As mentioned, I'm kind of new to this technology. I thought one HDMI cable was pretty much the same as another, so had left the one there from the DVD recorder I had. I notice though that the cable supplied with the home theatre unit is a lot thicker, and haven't had any problems since using that instead.

Collapse -
I recently purchased a Samsung LCD TV, 52" 120HZ LN52B610
by K-Shaun / June 23, 2009 12:33 AM PDT

Hi,
I have recently purchased the above model. Few nights ago, I was watching a movie on my digital pvr cable box on one of the HD channels and I noticed the picture flickering(pulsating). I clicked rewind on the PVR and played back the scene and it was still doing it. I also clicked info.(to get details of the movie) on the cable box remote and noticed that was flickering as well. I guess the best way I to describe it would be to say it's like your old computer monitor...when you slap the monitor on side the picture flickers almost like a spring..that's how it was but to a considerably less extent. I was say it was more of a pulse...Not sure if it's a problem with the TV or the cable. In Canada, we have "Rogers" like Verizon, comcast etc in the states. It's cable not satelitte as the signals come through cable. So I am not sure if this is a cable problem or tv problem. Although this problem hasn't happened since that night. I'd greatly appreciate some help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.