HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

LCD TV--Analog or Digital

by uncledewey / August 11, 2012 8:05 AM PDT

Comcast in my area is converting to all digital format and state we need to install a Digital Adapter. I have three LCD TVs one states it is digital ready the other two simply have a cable connection with no mention of digital or analog. They warn that without the DA I may lose some of my current channels. Once the DAs are installed Comcast wants to activate them, and state any TV without a DA will not function.

Does any of that make sense? Are my two TVs digital ready if they are LCD? I only subscribe to the very basic service.

Any guidance would be great. Uncle Dewey

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD TV--Analog or Digital
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD TV--Analog or Digital
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I had Comcast and when they converted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2012 8:21 AM PDT

They dropped all direct to the TV connections. The only thing that worked was the sets with Comcast's set top boxes. I can't know if they will go to that system in your city but they did in my town. It does not matter if our sets had HD digital tuners. I can only guess you won't understand this is a simple money grab as you need a decoder from comcast for every box.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Which statement is true?
by ahtoi / August 11, 2012 9:02 AM PDT

"and state 'any' TV without a DA will not function."

"They warn that without the DA I may lose 'some' of my current channels"

Both can't be true.

Collapse -
Comcast appears to have 2 systems they move to.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2012 9:08 AM PDT

One is the rather draconian iron curtain where the entire cable system is all digital and only their decoder boxes will give you access.

Another leaves a few clear channels that a HDTV's ATSC (see google for the alphabet soup names) can decode.

Only the Comcast in your area can tell you which they are going to.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Cable and broadcast channels
by mjd420nova / August 12, 2012 1:40 AM PDT

Being that signals sent over a cable are not broadcast, they use frequencies for channels that your digital TV cannot tune to unless you use their cable set top box. In the old analog days, a block converter could take those channels and put them higher in the spectrum where your set could tune them in. Yes, you might lose some of those channels if you don't use their box. The advent of LCD displays made digital tuning easier and enabled the digital broadcasts by local stations, thus the need for a converter box for the older analog sets to tune the new digital channels. This advance freed up a large part of each stations allocated spectrum and allowed them to add multiple channels within the same bandwidth of the older analog stations. Once that happened there was nothing to stop the cable industry from using their own scheme for sending signals over their cable.

Collapse -
LCD TV and Comcast Digital without analog
by uncledewey / August 17, 2012 3:36 AM PDT

I finally understand what is happening to me. I have three LCD TVs and have been receiving digital and HD signals from Comcast that the TVs could display--who could be happier with digital and HD? Now, however, the Comcast signal will no no longer have analog (which is okay with me), but Comcast has encrypted their digital signal so you must use their adapter and thus use their remote control on each TV. A real bummer from my point of view. So far I haven't found a better alternative, but would love to cancel Comcast, but not to bite off my nose and spite my face. I'm still looking for an alternative, but so far no luck. Also, my one year $14.95 for AT&T DSL is about to expire and had thought I will have to get Comcast's special as my Internet provider. I really hate this world of providing TV and Internet service--oh for the good old days.

Thanks for listening.

Uncle Dewey

Collapse -
Been there, done that
by Pepe7 / August 18, 2012 4:36 AM PDT

Just ask to be transferred to their retentions department. Threaten to leave if they don't keep your current service at no more than $20 a month. That's the best way to roll IME w/ ATT. They lose too many customers unless they play hardball. They know for most folks, Comcast is probably a better solution. YMMV.

-Pedro

Collapse -
LCD TV & Comcast Digital withour analog
by uncledewey / August 18, 2012 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Been there, done that

Hi Pedro,

Comcast has sent me three adapters, one for each of my TVs, for no charge for the adapters nor any increase in monthly fee. I can try what you say, you, but have a feeling the new digital signal is the only thing that will be broadcast in the entire area and that they won't me able to leave mine as a stand alone signal.

Uncle Dewey

Collapse -
I was referring to internet, not cable tv service (n/t)
by Pepe7 / August 18, 2012 11:00 AM PDT

n/t

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.