General discussion

LCD TV advice please!!

I'm buying my first one and i've spent days looking around online and at best buy and stuff and i think i've come down to these two:

Toshiba REGZA Cinema 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV 46XV645U
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889253209

46" BRAVIA EX500 Series HDTV
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...&skuId=9763279

clearly my question is which do you think is better?

i notice the toshiba doesn't have a usb port but does this really have any worthwhile use? i don't have a digital camera or anything.. alternative uses?

the toshiba seems to have more features like resolution+, pixel pure and the sleek "deep lagoon" look. the bravia has, of course, the bravia engine but is it as phenomenal as some others with just a different name

i also have the option to go to best buy and pick it up in person if that takes into account any extra consideration, saving a few bucks on shipping, though the toshiba is free shipping.. on that note, price isn't may main concern but is a factor of course. if one is more expensive but clearly superior i'll likely be more inclined to that one.

anyway, thankyou anyone who has some insight!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: LCD TV advice please!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LCD TV advice please!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
sorry bad links

heres the correct links:

Toshiba REGZA Cinema 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV 46XV645U
i can't post links yet
newegg dot com /Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253209
with 4 year warranty, free shipping, it comes to $999.98 total

46" BRAVIA EX500 Series HDTV
i can't post links yet
bestbuy dot com /site/Sony+-+BRAVIA+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9763279.p?id=1218169465735&skuId=9763279
with 4 year warranty, in store pickup, comes to $1170 total

thanks again!

- Collapse -
Toshiba and Sony

I have the earlier Toshiba 46" 540U 1080p TV in my bedroom and I have a similar Sony model elsewhere. I like them both very much. I have absolutely no gripes about my Toshiba. I am very picky, and everything on it looks stunning. It matches the 1080p/24 from my BR player perfectly and standard-def channels look pretty darn good. Some TVs do a terrible job on 120Hz, but the Toshiba was rated as being better than both Sony and Samsung (as rated here on CNET and other sites). I bought my Toshiba at Costco, so I have a 2-year warranty for free, which is pretty good. IMHO, do yourself a favor and stay away from TVs that are rated at 240Hz. To me, this is the worst invention ever as it makes all film-based material look like cheap home videos. Absolutely terrible!

- Collapse -
- Collapse -
Sammy

The only experience I've had with Samsung is with the two my father-in-law has, and one of them was returned twice because of defects out of the box. I based my Toshiba purchase on the reviews here, so I didn't second-guess my purchase. I love my 2 Sony TVs and I love my Toshiba, so I don't have any long-term user reviews on a Sammy. I don't know about the Sammy model you are looking at, but when I was looking, the Sammy's had down-firing speakers instead of forward-firing speakers. That seemed counter-intuitive to what speakers should do. The speakers on my TVs are great.

- Collapse -
thanks

again thank you for your reply. so it seems you're not for the samsung, the 2 guys at bestbuy were gushing over them practically, rating them better picture quality then the sony bravia, their opinions of course, however it did seem comparable if nothing else.

i'm leaning more toward the sony and samsung now.

i dunno, i guess i'm still torn..

CNET Forums

Forum Info