TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LCD PC monitor vs HDTVs

by penti01 / October 16, 2007 2:48 AM PDT

i dont get what the difference between LCD PC monitors versus HDTVs. LCD monitors are cheaper and can go way beyond 1080p resolutions... i know that HDTVs are suppose to be better but how can they be when their resolutions are lower? wouldn't it better to buy a cheaper LCD monitor instead of a LCD TV?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD PC monitor vs HDTVs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD PC monitor vs HDTVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at who says it's better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 3:16 AM PDT

Are they a salesperson?

Collapse -
The short answer is...
by stuntman_mike / October 16, 2007 7:47 AM PDT

they are the same thing. The only thing that makes an LCD display a monitor or TV is whether it has a built in TV tuner. That's it. That is how the manufacturers differentiate it. You can take any LCD TV and hook up a computer, and take any LCD monitor (if it has the right connections) and hook up a cable box or game system. Yes there are monitors that have higher resolutions than any LCD TV, but there is nothing that can support those high resolutions other than your computer so it doesn't really matter. Unless you are getting a small screen, you will not find an LCD without a TV tuner anyway. Don't know what size you want or need, but your best bet is probably to get a TV depending on what you want to spend. TVs are optimized from a processing standpoint to watch TV, movies, or play games. Monitors sometimes are but most times aren't. You're not gonna find a monitor with super balck levels generally, because that is something that is more akin to movie watching, not desktop or internet browsing.

Collapse -
thanks for the reply
by penti01 / October 16, 2007 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: The short answer is...

i just noticed that the salesman who tried to sell me the PC monitor was a dumb*ss... he told me that the monitor had 2000+ x 1300+ pixel when it was just a 1366 x 768... it was just around $700 compared to samsung/sony's $1000 (i live out of US where prices are higher)...

i'm planning to use it for HD gaming/movies and for my PC... i have another 4:3 for normal cable TV (HD not yet available in my country). should i buy the $700 or $1000 for it?

also, is it good to use an 720p LCD for my PC? i'm currently using a 19in LCD at 1280 x 1024... will the new LCD make the icons look bigger (with respect to the screen size)?

thanks!

Collapse -
sorry, gonna make it simpler
by penti01 / October 16, 2007 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks for the reply

what's a better set-up for me to use:

a 19in LCD (for PC) and a 32in LCD (for nonHD cable TV, HD games/movies)
or
a 32in LCD (for PC, HD games/movies) and a 27in CRT (for nonHD cable TV)
or
a 19in LCD (for PC), a 27in CRT (for nonHD cable TV) and a 32in LCD (for HD games/movies)?

i know the third is kinda going overboard but it's an option...

Collapse -
I guess my answer depends...
by stuntman_mike / October 18, 2007 4:27 AM PDT

on whether you have a CRT or not. If you already have a CRT than I would say choice 2 makes the most sense. A 720p 32" TV is just fine for your PC. It is however very small for movie watching and to a lesser degree gaming. You will quickly get used to the 32" being used as a monitor. Obviously it is your money, but just a word of caution, when watching movies on a 32", the letterbox bars will make it about a 27". Most movies will still have letterbox bars on even a widescreen TV. TV widescreen and movie widescreen are two different things. If you can go bigger I would. As far as the CRT, if you don't already have one I would not buy one for SD TV watching. SD looks poor on an HDTV to be sure, but it is not enough to buy a CRT. You will spend as little time watching SD as possible once you see HD trust me. I would just use the HDTV, whatever the size, for all my viewing needs.

Good luck

Collapse -
movie vs. TV widescreen
by penti01 / October 18, 2007 7:05 PM PDT

is the difference that big? from what i notice, the difference isn't big enough to make the 32" screen seem like 27"... or are we talking about those that would make the widescreen to standard then add black areas above and below the picture to make it to widescreen?

Collapse -
btw,
by penti01 / October 18, 2007 7:06 PM PDT

I already have a CRT for SD TV, the only thing I'm planning to buy is the 32" HDTV...

Collapse -
you mean the TV?
by froasier / January 30, 2008 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: thanks for the reply

The 720p TV is most likely 1366x768. This is shorter than your 1280x1024 but a little wider, so icons will be slightly bigger but mainly the difference is widescreen instead of tall. If you get a 1080p TV it has a very nice resolution of 1920x1080. Looks like you are planning to buy the TV regardless, in which case you can try out different setups to see what you like once you have it. As for which one to buy, you haven't really told us anything about them other than price and brand.

In response to your original question, the main advantages of a TV over a PC monitor is larger screen size (so you can sit further away, thus more people can watch comfortably at the same time) and the built-in tuner and multimedia inputs. They also may have better specs like black levels and viewing angles. PC monitors usually have larger resolutions than 720p, but only high end (24 inch and up) PC monitors will beat 1080p in terms of resolution, and with the smaller screen sizes in either case, the higher resolution is useless when you sit further away.

Collapse -
depends on price where you are
by tedtks / October 19, 2007 10:06 AM PDT

I did pretty much the same thing. Got a new Dell 24'' monitor
and it has alll sorts of plugins. I have a cable card in my pc so
I have the cable connected to the pc card. the quality of the
tv picture is amazing. and games - wow
I also have a FTA receiver and have that plugged into the monitor.
the only satalite I got so far only had a couple channels on it but
it is as clear as cable - just need to hunt for another sat LOL..
I have had it for 3 months or so. no problems.
shop around - dell would not guarantee to ship the latest revision, so in shopping, a seller on ebay had the newest and including shipping
I got it less than from dell.
ted
Happy

Collapse -
oops
by tedtks / October 19, 2007 10:10 AM PDT

forgot to mention that yes it handles HDTV 1080p and HD movies
no problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.