Peripherals forum

General discussion

LCD monitor sizes and wide screen monitors

My inquiry is a general question about LCD monitors about which I hope someone can enlighten me.

My current LCD monitor is a 19" monitor. I am looking to buy a new larger LCD monitor for a new computer system I am building. I noticed that there are many new larger LCD monitors.

All of the larger LCD monitors are wide-screen monitors. That is, they retain the same height as my current 19" monitor but are wider, anywhere from 20" wide to 30" wide within a reasonable price range. While I am interested in some of these new LCD monitors for my new computer system I am curious as to why the larger LCD monitor technology are all wider than my current monitor but not proportionally taller as far as the display area goes. Why is that ? I would have assumed that as newer, larger LCD monitors are being engineered that the display area of the monitor would be proportionally larger so that it could display both a greater width and a greater height.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD monitor sizes and wide screen monitors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD monitor sizes and wide screen monitors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Glass.

In reply to: LCD monitor sizes and wide screen monitors

If you research how things are made you find a direct tie from TV LCD production to the machines that make the LCD panels. These machines are in the many millions of dollars so you are going to see HD ratios from now on.

If this is unacceptable, buy what you want today before they are no more.
Bob

Collapse -
Computer monitor sizes

In reply to: Glass.

What do you mean bt "HD ratios" ?

Nothing is unacceptable to me. I was just curious why monitor sizes are expanding in width, and in pixels, for their display but are not equally expanding in height. Why does TV LCD production build new monitors this way rather than expanding the size of monitors both in width and in height ? Is the former perceived as the way end users like to have their monitors, being much wider but maintaining the exact same height ?

It seems much more logical to me that those who enjoy bigger LCD monitors would want both the width and height to expand proportionally, with the pixel resolution also expanding proportionally to fill up the larger display. I am just curious why this is not happening and the market is seeing wider and wider LCD screens with the exact same height, and wondered if anybody knew why this was so.

Collapse -
For your research.

In reply to: Computer monitor sizes

Look at articles about the aspect ratio of HDTV. You'll catch on very fast.

Collapse -
New

In reply to: For your research.

So the aspect ratio and TV sizes for HDTV are the driving force behind the wide screen LCD monitors ? How utterly sad that every monitor maker has bought into this ! TV and movies are generally such poor forms of entertainment and knowledge and now the hardware computer world is pursuing what they have to offer.

I hope that the hardware makers will come to their senses some day and realize that computers have their own needs which go far beyond the playing of BluRay movies, TV shows, and action games. I guess wide screens just don't do it for me. I greatly prefer proportional screens with more overall room both wide and high.

Thanks, nonetheless for alerting me for the reasons for the new wide display screens.

Collapse -
How else could you make affordable displays?

In reply to: New

Collapse -
Applied Materials

In reply to: How else could you make affordable displays?

The company sounds interesting but I could not find any information about proportional LCD monitors which they produce or that are out on the market somewhere. Perhaps they produce them but they are still experimental and/or too expensive.

It still seems odd to me that the new LCDs are wider but not taller. Even when I am told that it is less expensive to produce such monitors as bigger monitors, it is hard for me to understand why that is. Obviously the process of producing LCD panels can adjust the height of the panels as the manufacturer sees fit in order to produce a line of monitors of a different height. Producing panels of the same height for every monitor and then distinguishing them by cutting different widths seems only theoretically less costly than producing different panels distinguished by different heights and then adjusting the width of a specific height for different LCD displays.

Collapse -
If you dig deep at AMAT

In reply to: Applied Materials

You find the documentation on the machines that make LCDs. I'm unsure where and what you are looking at but here the displays are all the new aspect ratio. And yes they do get taller as the width increases.

This is going to be like that change in February coming up. A lot of people will be unhappy.
Bob

Collapse -
AMAT

In reply to: If you dig deep at AMAT

Who is currently making the LCD displays which use AMAT technology and where can an end user buy one of those machines online today ? Or are you saying that these LCD displays are not currently available but will be in the near future, perhaps February of 2009 which you seem to be implying ?

If these be proportional LCD displays, where both the width and height increase the size of the display, I am interested in purchasing such an LCD monitor for the system I intend to build. Of course this is predicated on these LCD displays being as reasonably priced as the current wide screen monitors.

Collapse -
The link I provided listed names.

In reply to: AMAT

You need to skip all this and get out your tape measure. I did and I found that the displays do increase in height with the width.

There is no need to find who uses AMAT LCD machines. I used that as a talking point about why things are the way they are. With LCD fab machines in the millions of dollars no one could afford to make the old aspect ratio displays (4x3) without having the HDTV market as well as the laptop and PC/MAC/other LCD market.

Hope this clears it up for you.
Bob

Collapse -
AMAT

In reply to: The link I provided listed names.

The new monitors do increase in height slightly but are proportionally much wider.

OK, the answer I am getting is: The LCD monitors are the way that they are, so don't ask why and just buy a wide-screen LCD like everybody else, or buy a normal LCD and don't expect the height and width to increase proportionally in the future, no matter how logical it sounds, because the bottom line is making money and that trumps everything else.

So be it and thanks for your help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.