Peripherals forum

General discussion

LCD monitor questions

by babu357 / May 4, 2009 1:59 PM PDT

HI. I'm considering buying a new monitor for my computer and looking at LCD screens. But I cam confused about a lot of things.
First something I never understood about monitors in general is resolution size. Currently I have mine set on 800X600 pixels. I know that a higher resolution is supposed to result in a better image. Such as in a photograph, the more DPI the better the quality of the pic. But whenever i set my resolution on my current monitor higher than 800x600 it results in smaller icons, text, etc. I have the ability to go to 1600x1200 on my display but then I wind up with these tiny images . I dont' quite understand why you would want to have tiny icons at a high resolution.
And so this does also confuse me when looking at the specs for LCD monitors. I saw a 19 inch today, that had a 1280x1024 resolution. Now is this a good thing, IS is this going to give me tiny icons and text? Or is this different some how. Because the one on display had normal size graphics Icons text etc...Sorry if this sounds dumb but this really does confuse me.
If you can answer this I have some more questions for you.;)
Sue

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD monitor questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD monitor questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's called . . .
by Coryphaeus / May 4, 2009 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: LCD monitor questions

Native Resolution. That figure is where the display will show the best resolution. But you can set it at whatever you want. Set it to 800 X 600 if you want.

A higher resolution will result in smaller text and icons. But those can be adjusted in your graphics properties. Larger text is easier to read. But pictures and graphics will show better in a higher resolution.

All this is completely adjustable.

Collapse -
Adjusting the graphics
by babu357 / May 5, 2009 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: It's called . . .

It's adjustable. Good. But how/where do I adjust it? I have no idea. I"m no computer wiz, and we all have to start to learn somewhere.
Can you give me an idea of how/where I adjust my graphics so that I can use my monitor at a higher resolution but still keep everything from shrinking.

Susan

Collapse -
Right click on the desktop . . .
by Coryphaeus / May 5, 2009 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Adjusting the graphics

and choose Properties. Click the Settings tab. On the left choose your resolution with the slider. Now click the Advanced button. Use the drop down to select the DPI settings. Apply. Go back to the main window and choose Appearance. Choose the font size. Click the Effects button. Check "Use large icons" if you wish.

Collapse -
always use native resolution
by omegavitae / May 31, 2009 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: LCD monitor questions

Windows Vista supports changing size of the icon very vell so you should always go with monitor native picture, because that the best picture... for basics you can go to http://www.monitors-computer.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.