PC Hardware forum

General discussion

LCD Monitor for older eyes

by mwiener / March 20, 2008 4:47 AM PDT

My wife has trouble viewing under the higher resolution and smaller pixel size of LCD monitors. I tried one and had to return it. Last July I purchased a 21 inch refurbished IBM P275 CRT, but it has now died on me. Does anyone have recommendations for people in their late 50's with not so great eyesight? I tried explaining why a larger monitor does not necessarily have larger fonts size, but it didn't work.

If there were any stores that displayed realtime rather than canned images we would go that route, but I haven't come across any.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD Monitor for older eyes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD Monitor for older eyes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm 5o something and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 5:10 AM PDT

Have the Samsub 915v but set the resolution down to 1024xsomething and it looks great. It took a few tries to get it just so.

I say "Try again."

Bob

Collapse -
did you try using a lower resolution on the LCD?
by ramarc / March 20, 2008 5:21 AM PDT

17" and 19" non-widescreen monitors have a native resolution of 1280x1024. if you select a lower resolution such as 1024x768, the fonts will appear larger but things may look 'fuzzy'. turning on ClearType font smoothing can help. (open your display properies, click the Apperance tab, click [Effects] and choose ClearType as the method for smoothing).

also, take a look at LCD TVs in the 19"-26" size. Many have VGA inputs and their resolution will be relatively low (compared to a PC monitor) and thus the fonts will be easier to read.

19" LCD TVs, resolution 1440x900:
Sylvania:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sylvania-19-LCD-HDTV-LC195SL8/sem/rpsm/oid/196349/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Dynex: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8454415&type=product&id=1184369165654

23" LCD Olevia, resolution 1366x768 or 1280x720: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=323V-DT&cat=TVS

Collapse -
Not fuzzy here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 6:13 AM PDT

The effect seems to vary with the model.

Collapse -
Tried changing resolution
by mwiener / March 20, 2008 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Not fuzzy here.

I tried changing resolution in an LCD that I bought before this CRT and had to return. Not happy about the fuzziness of fonts. Using Larger fonts also had too many problems. There was no good solution so I would up selling the LCD.

Collapse -
then take a look at 19-25" LCD TVs.
by ramarc / March 20, 2008 7:19 AM PDT

fonts will be large and legible.

Collapse -
Old Eyes
by mopscare42 / March 21, 2008 2:10 AM PDT

I too was having trouble seeing things on my monitor.
I tried the resolution lowering, but didn't like the look at all.
I picked up a 22" LCD and set the DPI settings from the default (normal) 96DPI setting to the larger 120DPI. I can leave my resolution higher for the quility, but can still see things better.
We all have different preferences,but in my case I found this solution and it works for me.

Wayne

Collapse -
IBM P275 CRT
by simonwilding / March 21, 2008 12:17 PM PDT

Hello mweiner,

I also have a faulty IBM P275 CRT. It turned fuzzy last week and started to make high voltage splashing sounds, after which the picture would disappear and then come back on again.

I left it alone for a few days and have got it going again (probably temporarily).

Did yours behave in the same way? I'm wondering if it's a connector problem somewhere in the High Tension circuit.

Simon.

"Last July I purchased a 21 inch refurbished IBM P275 CRT, but it has now died on me."

Collapse -
IBM P275 CRT
by mwiener / March 22, 2008 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: IBM P275 CRT

No, it just went. A month or so ago I was having a jittery screen. I was never sure whether it was the monitor or something electronic (perhaps in my downstaits neighbor's apartment) causing this, but it eventually went away.

Collapse -
IBM P275
by simonwilding / March 22, 2008 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: IBM P275 CRT

Is it working ok now?

Collapse -
IBM P275
by mwiener / March 22, 2008 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: IBM P275

Nope, without warning it died. Light is green on startup then flashes amber. Tried both connections with desktop and laptop.

Collapse -
IBM P275
by simonwilding / March 22, 2008 8:27 AM PDT

Hmm. I wonder if your tube is ok and the problem is only minor. It might be worth calling IBM and ask what flashing amber means.

(I did have a handbook for the P275 but can't find it - otherwise I'd look it up).

Collapse -
IBM P275
by mwiener / March 23, 2008 10:53 PM PDT

Checked the manual and tried their diagnostics. No go. There is nothing on the flashing amber other than to advise your IBM tech.

Collapse -
reply to LCD monitor
by airia4 / March 21, 2008 1:18 PM PDT

I am in my late forties and I too have trouble seeing the monitor. I recently bought an off brand 22" lcd monitor. I tried various screen resolutions but I also tried various but also under the advanced settings. I tried different DPI settings, the large size or custom size may be a good setting. Also under the advanced settings, the monitor refresh settings will make a difference. Currently my settings are 75 hertz, 125 dpi, 1280x768 pixels which is a good setting for me with this monitor. I hope you find a solution. I know how frustrating it is.

Collapse -
I increased the dpi
by tekchallenged / March 21, 2008 1:42 PM PDT

I bought a 17-inch LCD monitor recently and couldn't read the text at the native resolution. Increasing the dpi to 150% got it legible and it still looks good (unlike reducing the resolution which looks horrible). (Right click on desktop - properties - settings tab - advanced button - dpi setting - custom setting)

Collapse -
small print
by toap / March 21, 2008 4:13 PM PDT

hi most lcd`s work best in their native resolution ,but if you are on the net you can make the print bigger , just press and hold the CTRL key and move the scroll button forward or back on your mouse this will make the print big or small for you .this works on most web sites ,if you use google you can make as big as you like .i hope this helps Toap

Collapse -
small print
by jean harrington / March 22, 2008 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: small print

I have resolution set at 1600x1200.
My browser is set at 200%.
At such a large size,
ie is unreadable,
but Opera lets me read.
It is a blessing!

I've have changed the settings in my mail client and made them accessible to my browser for purposes of sending emails directly from my browser.

Collapse -
difficulty with old eyes
by hbeyedoc / March 23, 2008 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: small print

go to your ophthalmogist for a progessive glasses

Collapse -
difficulty with old eyes
by mwiener / March 23, 2008 10:50 PM PDT

Been there done that

Collapse -
As one poster noted earlier
by samkh / March 24, 2008 2:55 AM PDT

if you get a 720p (1366x768) LCD HDTV or TV monitor around 24", the native resolution and screen size will produce a reasonably comfortable looking and sharp picture. Of course if you peer too closely at the image you will see the pixels, so back off a bit.

The other solutions of adjusting screen resolutions of a monitor or upping the font size or upping the dpi all have some downsides. Many images and web pages won't look as attractive as the content designers intended. If you are ok with compromise, they are the cheapest solutions.

Collapse -
LCD for older eyes...
by jgroves1945 / March 22, 2008 12:52 PM PDT

Lots of replies about monitors, but that's not the issue here.
I saw one answer tht is probably the best for this issue. Go to display settings and click on Advanced. You should then see a font setting that is set at "normal", or 96. Select the "large" size (120) and you will see a very noticable difference in your ability to read the text. Reducing the resolution can help also, but definitely try the large font size first and see how that does. I have the same problem and it's worked great for me.

Collapse -
Problem solved
by mwiener / May 1, 2008 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: LCD for older eyes...

After my wife checked out a friend's monitor and gave it the okay I purchased the ACER 19" 1916W monitor. The 1440 X 900 resolution works for us and hopefully a happy ending to this problem.

Collapse -
Problem is surfing the net.
by kuliddar / October 12, 2008 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: LCD for older eyes...

Reviving the old thread because my wife is having this issue right one.

I just bought her a new computer and replaced her 17" crt with a 19" lcd screen (4:3) so the resolution is 1280x1024 (that was her choice over a widescreen display). Problem is small text as well. Adjusted the dpi and that fixed the issue except for when she goes online. Since most sites now have fixed fonts, you can't just make them bigger unless you override in the "accessibility" option of IE. Even then, it mess' everything up so going online isn't really fun right now for her.

Hence I was hoping to find other solutions for the internet part such as a plugin or something. If anyone has a solution that would be great.

Right now the only thing I can think of is get a widecreen lcd monitor with a native resolution that will just make things bigger on the display by default (icons and online text) or simply put the CRT back on her desk.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.