Peripherals forum

General discussion

LCD Monitor

I am a pro photographer shooting digital media. I do a lot of photo editing and retouching. I need a recommendation for a LCD monitor great color and contrast to be primarily used for graphic deisign.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD Monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at

In reply to: LCD Monitor

Planar. they have one of the best warranties going and I think the specs are also great. eCost or tiger Direct is running the PL1700 for $242 and the 19" for under $300.

Collapse -
re: LCD Monitor

I don't know of such a monitor, personally, but there are also many, many good forums about that and other digital photo topics at www.dpreview.com, a site I check daily.

Collapse -
Check each manufactures website for color profiles.....

Windows has color management built into it, however to use it you need a "color profile" or ICM file (in windows).

Check the Manufacturers website for each monitor you are considering to see if they have downloadable color profile information. (from personal experience the Princetons do)

As far as monitors go, my only other recomendation is to buy a monitor that has a DVI on it and mate it with a video card with DVI output.

Mark.

Collapse -
LCD Monitor

The best Monitor to use is realy good CRT. Sony has a couple of models for this that comes with a calabration setup, but big $$$.
In graphic design and Pro photo,
accurate color is necessary so there has to be a calabration method.
You didn't say if your using Mac ot PC. Mac and OS X have a much better color mamagment system than Windows.
The best LCD is probably the Apple cinima series, but againg big $$$$.
What ever youy get you sould invest in a calabrator for it. John

Collapse -
jcrobso is right, and if size doesn't matter...

...a good CRT monitor is still the way to go for graphics work and photography (as well as gaming). CRT monitors have faster refresh rates and finer calibration options for graphics work.

My son is a graphics professional, and, although LCD monitors are fast improving, he still uses a CRT for his work. He's also a gamer, and insists that a CRT monitor is superior to an LCD as there is less ghosting, etc.

Both he and I use the Viewsonic Professional Series PF790 monitor. This is probably one of the best CRT monitors around for handling professional graphics (Google its reviews).

This is a plug-and-play monitor, and it is both PC and Mac compatible. It's an older Viewsonic model, but it's still highly desirable. I found mine on eBay for about $100. Be warned, however, this monitor is HUGE, and it weighs 50 lbs. No small footprint here!

If you can still find one of these PF790 monitors, you can't go wrong, and you can use it until the LCD types catch up to the CRT's performance. It's a great economical choice with superior graphics management.

Just one other bit of info...

If you buy this monitor and have it shipped, make sure the shipper protects the screen by taping a piece of cardboard over it. The screen has an anti-glare coating which will scratch. Shipping via UPS should cost about $50 in the U.S.

Collapse -
Getting Pro equipment

In reply to: jcrobso is right, and if size doesn't matter...

You're a pro? Get pro equipment. LCD is coming along - Access times are down to 8ms or less, so gaming (ghosting) issues are going away - but if you want real pro color accuracy, go with CRT. LCD's goal is to equal CRT quality, then better it. It's closer, but still has a ways to go.

Go with CRT, but go digital with both the card and the monitor. Get a 20" or better. Even then, some of your pictures will be too big for the screen.

Collapse -
(NT) A Great LCD BUT.......

I have and use a Viewsonic VP201b and am very very pleased with it on all levels and it was affordable as well.
However, I MUST agree with the individual that stated that a CRT is the way to go if you are looking for quality.
Once again, this is a trade off tween what you can spend vs what you need. Don't hesitate to buy a HUGE and HEAVY CRT if you need quality as that technology is going to be around for a while yet and will provide your best video bang for your buck at this time. If money is no option look at both the high end CRT's AND the high end LCDs....both options are probably better than your eyesite.

Collapse -
lcd monitors

It is a fact that no lcd monitor gives as true a picture as an ordinary cathode tube monitor at about half the price, Im not great on computers , but I do know monitors as a tv repairer

Collapse -
LCD Monitor

For the past 2 years I've had a Samsung 181T LCD & have been very pleased with it. I am currently switching to an Apple G5 Power Mac & invested in the Apple cinema series monitors. Comparing specs, taking some of my photos on CD's to Apple's stores & viewing the photos, the cinema series outdoes them all. The closest are the Dell LCD monitors. If price is not a concern, go for the Apple or Dell which is slightly lower in cost. Best take some of your photos to a store & ask them to let you see them on the various monitors.

Collapse -
LCD monitors versus CRT

There are two things most important for all kind of monitors: a color profile provided by the supplier and secondly the use of a calibrator (measures color when attached to the screen and makes adjustments to the color profile of the monitor) like the Spyder II or equivalents from the other two major firms.
In former times those ''color measurements'' were not well possible on a LCD screen: the color-quality of a LCD screen was not up to standards.
Nowadays - according to the people of the Spyder II - it is quite possible to generate a more than acceptable color profile (and also WYSIWYG on your printer! if the latter is good enough) also for LCD screens.
Take a well-known brand and check if they deliver a color profile - in that case the manufacturer is also pretty sure of being able to reproduce colors as they ought to be.
Good luck with your research (you will run into all the ins and outs of colormanagement which is not so easy, but a lot of fun to find out ...)
**** Bloem

Collapse -
Dell

Is any Dell LCD monitor a better pick than another??

Collapse -
LCD monitor for graphics

As one of the other respondents mentioned, I too use a Viewsonic VP201m LCD. I bought it several years ago for $2,600, but they are much cheaper now. What you need to check out is the response time, contrast ratio, and resolution. For a large (20 inch) display you should be looking for a native resolution of 1600x1200. Many do not go that high. Look for a response time of 25ms or lower. Also, make sure the monitor supports the DVI digital interface, and that your video card has such an output. I could see the difference between the analog and digital connections on my monitor. The DVI is MUCH crisper!

Although I agree that a GOOD CRT will offer somewhat better color and crispnes of display, the lack of flicker on the LCD more than makes up for it for my taste. I vote for the LCD to save my eyes!

One last comment on the LCD. Although LCD manufacture has improved considerably, no manufacturer that I know of will guarantee a defect-free screen The common allowance is for up to 10 bad pixels. This means that you may have up to 10 spots on your screen where there are either dark or light spots. I was lucky in a sense in my purchase. When I bought my VP201m, the first one I recieved had some issues with the digital DVI interface. That monitor also had a few bad pixels. When I got my replacement, it not only fixed the DVI, but I was very lucky to get a monitor with NO bad pixesl!

Good luck in your search.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.