Samsung forum

General discussion

LCD Model LN-S4041D Turns itself off and on

by playtennis / May 17, 2009 4:33 AM PDT

Our tv will be 2 years old next month as we bought in June '07. We can't watch our tv at all now because it constantly turns off and on. We first had this problem several months ago and received no help when my husband called Samsung support. They told him to unplug the tv and plug it back in knowing this would do no good as I now see this is a huge problem with many of their models. We of course now have expired warranty so we are not their problem. I need to know the correct firmware download for our model(if one exist) to see if this will help. Can you help me with this please.

Model TFT LCD LN-S4041D

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD Model LN-S4041D Turns itself off and on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD Model LN-S4041D Turns itself off and on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LCD Model LN-S4041D Turns itself off and on
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 17, 2009 4:52 AM PDT

playtennis,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your television.

There is not a firmware update for that model of television, unfortunately. The warranty period has expired, and while you can have the television repaired, the warranty coverage will not cover the parts and labor.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Never again
by playtennis / May 17, 2009 5:11 AM PDT

Thanks. This is my first and last Samsung purchase! What a joke.

Collapse -
Same issue; good luck!
by chriselliott2009 / December 23, 2009 9:14 AM PST

Today my Samsung LCD (4041d) started doing the same thing, turning off and on repeatedly by itself. I contacted Samsung tonight and they had no resolution other than to give me a local repair shop.

Given the number of issues that have been occuring the past year, there is obviously something wrong with their televisions and they are not willing to own up to the issue. The rep I spoke with admitted that he had "heard" of this issue before but it was "rare". If I am getting multiple hits when searching, I would not call that rare...

I am extremely disappointed with this, as I am sure you are. If you are able to find out any info on the cost to repair it, let me know. I will do the same!

Collapse -
Samsung LCD LN-S4041D clicking and will not turn on
by evlahakis / February 6, 2011 12:49 AM PST

Spoke with Celeste at Samsung Customer Relations regarding my Samsung LCD LN-S4041D clicking and will not turn on. She said that Samsung would arrange for a repair visit at my expense. I offered to pay for the visit if trouble was not defective capacitors. She tried but refused to do anything other than schedule a repair visit at my expense.
My research on the internet indicates that this problem is coming from defective capacitors. If you go to:

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/samsung-tv-capacitor-clicking-issue-and-free-repair/

You will see about 170 posts with the same problem. Samsung provides free repair visits to fix this issue for some models. They do not offer a free visit for my model.
I feel this is not a fair way of handling the clicking problem..

Collapse -
Since this is a 2007 model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2011 1:56 AM PST

And well outside the warranty the debate rages on if makers should be responsible when a parts maker (which is not SAMSUNG) to cover a product years out of warranty.

If you look at the auto industry it's rare to get free repairs even when the parts wear out prematurely.

-> And electrolytic capacitors DO WEAR OUT. Be sure you are ready to discuss such things.
Bob

Collapse -
Capacitor Problem Fixed by Local TV Repairman
by evlahakis / February 8, 2011 9:23 AM PST

Yes you are correct capacitors DO WEAR OUT. I paid $1600.00 for my Samsung Tv in 2007 and $174.00 to a local TV repairmam who replaced 4 capacitors. So far $1774.00 divided by 4 equals $443.50 per year. I bought a Sharp TV, which has never had a problem, in 1985 for $250.00 divided by 26 equals $9.61 per year. Hopefully, the fix on my Samsung will hold.
Bob, there is an argument that goes like this "consumers who search for the lowest price force the manufacturers to cheapen thier products." Perhaps this is what happened with Samsung's LCD TVs.
To all those who read this post my suggestions are:
1. Call Samsung first 800-726-7864 Your model may qualify for a no charge repair.
2. If you have lots of time and are handy replace the capacitors yourself. This may or may not fix the problem.
3. If not, be very carefull choosing a TV repairman, costs are all over the place.

Good Luck,
Ed

Collapse -
The BAD CAPS stung some million Dells.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2011 10:38 AM PST

It's another case worth knowing about. Every maker seems to have been hit.

Here's the deal. The make that sold the most will rise to the top of the complaint list on this one.

Yes, Sharp gets stung too. http://www.fixya.com/support/t1403618-tv_flat_screen_not_come

There's a reason no maker will write they don't have this issue.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.