Samsung forum

Question

LCD LN460A580P6FS clicking repeatedly

by SwiftCorso / November 14, 2011 8:05 AM PST

Two days ago our Samsung 46" (LCD LN460A580P6FS - $1200) started making this clicking sound when we went to turn it ON. When you hit the ON button it will click a few dozen times before we finally get sound and a picture.

After reviewing other CNET/Samsung threads I'm thinking this sounds like a known issue with another big screen Samsung LCDs (e.g. LNT4665F) where the TV is turning itself ON and OFF.

Could we be experiencing the same issue as was reported in the other threads? Something related to the manufacture's capacitors not having sufficient voltage for the tv? If so, what is Samsung's current response to this problem?

We're hoping this too is simply a capacitor issue, and as indicated in the 2009 thread, Samsung will step forward and remedy the issue. This was our very first BIG SCREEN purchase... ever! The B*st B*y rep assured us that if we stuck to one of the three "S" manufactures (Samsung, Son* or Shar*)... we couldn't go wrong! Thus far, we've really enjoyed our purchase! : )

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks

Swift

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD LN460A580P6FS clicking repeatedly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD LN460A580P6FS clicking repeatedly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry. No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 8:43 AM PST

There is some urban rumor going around but it's not the Voltage.

Did you call it in and ask?

Also, remove from service before it damages other boards.
Bob

Collapse -
If "no" ... than what??
by SwiftCorso / November 15, 2011 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry. No.

Thanks for responding.

Any thoughts on what IS the problem? If not capacitors, then what?

There are quite a number of threads across the web (and here on CNET) regarding this "clicking" issue with Samsung. My tv's symptoms mirror the previous reports exactly. I imagine with all the Samsung LCD tvs sold in the last couple years ours tv's issue wouldn't be an isolated incident.

I'm going to make a call tomorrow to Samsung and let ya know how it goes. Id just like to have a little more info prior to calling.

Swift

Collapse -
If they don't offer the one time service.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2011 9:21 AM PST

Be sure to jot down the Transaction number and try the top of this forum marked SERVICE ISSUES.

Sorry, I can't troubleshoot over the web. I can make a guess but since Sam has been covering this for free (if it's the usual) then I see no need to inspect for the bad cap issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Hoping for the usual...
by SwiftCorso / November 15, 2011 11:52 PM PST

Yeah, a precise diagnosis from afar could be kinda hard! Grin

Well, we'll keep our fingers crossed that whatever the problem is that it falls under that .. "Sam has been covering this for free ... " category! Ultimately, we're way more interested in the cure than the cause!

I'll follow up later today after calling Samsung!

Thanks again!

Swift

Collapse -
Remember that the top of the forum is not a call.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 1:35 AM PST

The SERVICE ISSUES post is not a phone call. So after the phone call, if need be, use that link.

Collapse -
So far ... so good...
by SwiftCorso / November 16, 2011 5:05 AM PST

I'm with ya Bob re: SERVICE ISSUES being a link and not a phone call. Cool I'll be headed that way right after this...

I just got off the phone with Samsung and after giving them all my TV's info (model #, serial #, etc... etc) the Rep advised that they did have a "recall" in effect for certain TVs due capacitors issues in 2007 & 2008. And ... more importantly... they do offer a "free, one time fix" if it turns out my TV is misbehaving for that reason.

Based on the disclaimer the Rep read me, which included possible symptoms, it sounds like out TV is gonna get the fix! I hope so! The only downer is the repair guy won't be here till next Tuesday. But that's okay, free tends to enhance one's patience! Laugh

Swift

Collapse -
One last question...
by SwiftCorso / November 16, 2011 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: So far ... so good...

I asked the Samsung phone staff but they didn't know. If it is an issue with the originally install capacitors being of too low a voltage (10V?), what voltage should the replacement capistors be? I sure don't want this issue to return a year from now.

Collapse -
The voltage was fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: One last question...

The discussion has been done too many times so most won't answer again. In short, some company ripped off the electrolyte formula (incomplete) and created the BAD CAPS PLAGUE.

I wish it was the set maker's fault. It would have saved us from a few million dead Dells.
Bob

Collapse -
Gotcha...
by SwiftCorso / November 17, 2011 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: The voltage was fine.

As long they're replaced with the correct type, so there's no repeat issue, we'll be content!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.