Computer Help forum

General discussion

LCD Flat Panel Computer Monitor Question

by ohhope / November 24, 2006 11:21 AM PST

If my Control Panel maximum resolution is 1280x1024 resolution will it be compatible with a 1440x900 resolution LCD Flat Panel monitor? The aspect ratio is different, as is the maximum resolution, so I am trying to find out if I should buy the new monitor. Or do I have to get a new video card or something else? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD Flat Panel Computer Monitor Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD Flat Panel Computer Monitor Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Resolution
by Darton Fury / November 24, 2006 11:59 AM PST

1280x1024 = 1,310,720 pixels per screen. 1440x900 = 1,296,000 pixels per screen. The latter resolution is a little less. There is a simple formula for calculating how much video RAM a card needs to support specific resolutions. Multiply the total pixels per screen by the number of bytes per pixel. Then convert that number to megabytes by dividing by 1 megabyte, (1,048,576)

Example:

If you want to run at 1440x900/24 bit resolution
1440x900 = 1,296,000 pixels x 3 bytes(24 bits) = 3,888,000

Collapse -
PIXELS and stuff
by ohhope / November 25, 2006 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: Resolution

DF, thank you for your reply. I wish I could do the calculations. I am terrible at math. (Pretty good with words, but numbers elude me.) I really tried. The converting confused me. Please help me figure out if my computer is compatible, as is, with a typical entry level flat panel monitor. I have nVidia Riva TNT 2 Model 64 video card. I understand it is compatible to VGA Output.(I don't know where to look for video RAM.) Here are some other stats I found about mine: "BUS AGP 4X, Memory 32 MB, Processor Intel Pent. 4 with SSE2."

Right now my resolution is set only to 800x600 because otherwise the graphics are too small. I want to buy a flat panel LCD monitor with a resolution of 1440x900 with wide screen or one with 1280x1024,not wide. Since my settings only go as high as 1280, should I stick with that resolution for my new monitor? Will the wide one look stretched or weird if I got it and set the resolution to 1280x1024? Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

Collapse -
tnt2 may not support widescreen
by ramarc / November 27, 2006 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: PIXELS and stuff

the tnt2 is obsolete and is not listed as a supported product in recent nvidia drivers. thus, you'd probably need to use an older driver and it may not understand widescreens.

as for your control panel resolution, it is limited by the monitor you are using now. you can go into settings/advanced/adapter tab and clear "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" to see the other resolutions supported by your card/driver. you should always use the native resolution of the lcd monitor if possible; otherwise, your display will look fuzzy and/or stretched.

if you want a widescreen, i suggest you get a new agp card. any geforce 6000/7000 series or radeon x800/x1000 series will definitely support a widescreen monitor and continue to have driver support for the next few years.

if you just want better readability, get a 17" or 19" lcd which should work fine with your current tnt2.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?