TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LCD and DLP projector

by wlczsf / July 17, 2007 10:29 AM PDT

any one can tell me LCD projector and DLP projector which technic is better? I want to buy a new projector for my home.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD and DLP projector
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD and DLP projector
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DEFINE PROJECTOR FRONT OR REAR ?
by stewart norrie / July 17, 2007 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: LCD and DLP projector

If you are talking about a front projector set up plan on spending big bucks and have a pro do the job for you. A front projector system will give you a true movie theater experience but they are expensive and lamps are pricy and have a very short life spanneed more information stewee

Collapse -
I have to say that
by ns387241 / July 17, 2007 2:55 PM PDT

I have 2 first-hand experiences for you! The first is the movie theaters. The Regal Entertainment theaters in the Albany, NY area are offering some shows with DLP projectors. I first went to see the movie "Transformers" in traditional Cristie LCD prjection. When the cars transformed into their robot form, the screen became quite blurred and displayed picture lag (response time), whereas when I sxaw it in DLP, there was jaw-dropping clarity. For that reason alone (fast motion blur on LCD's) I would go for DLP, but I have more.
I personally own a fine DLP front projector (Runco SC-1 with cinemascope) and a fine screen (Stwewart Filmscreen Cine-W 102"). I must say that, yes, at $4,000.00 per bulb (lasts only 3-4yrs. at best), it is expensive for me, but the picture is unbelieveable (better than what Regal has to offer). DLP's color is far more accurate and brightness is bright, but not overexposed like a LCD. Black levels are deeper than even the best LCD's and detail during motion is worlds greater. A DLP front projector is a maintenance investment, however with the right model, it will be a worthwile investment, as the picture becomes more realistic, thus transporting you into the realm of whatever is on the screen.
DLP!
N.S.

Collapse -
runco the crem de la crem
by stewart norrie / July 18, 2007 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: I have to say that

I would sell my soul to the devel to own a RUNCO. I have only seen one of those beauties at my local lush budget home theater store on a 10X12 ft. screen. nothing on this planet even comes close to RUNCO. Anyway folks I still love my 72" d.l.p. rear projector You can all put down d.l.p. which you love to do but I have seen every display on the market but still love that natural razor sharp picture stewee

Collapse -
which style is best about DLP front projector
by wlczsf / July 17, 2007 9:00 PM PDT

thx, I get it. bulb is expensive whichever LCD or DLP front projector.
I think I maybe buy a DLP front projector, which DLP front projector one is best on the market?

Collapse -
Hold on....
by Kingp1n / July 17, 2007 10:21 PM PDT

For the AVERAGE replacement lamp, plan on spending anywhere between $200-$500. The projector that N.S. refered to is a $200,000 unit!

Do all your research on the web, read all the reviews you can find. This site has good info on it. There are potential problems with either technology.

LCD - the image could degrade after time. Specificly blue. How long this time frame is, not sure. Contrast (black levels) not up to DLP standards.

DLP - Rainbow effect. This is where on high motion large contrsting image, you could see a rainbow of color streaking across that area of the screen. Not all people see this, and manufactures have taken steps to combat this. Faster spinning color wheels and 6 segment color wheels have reduced this problem.

There are pros and cons of both. Which ever you buy, find out what the return policy is first!

Collapse -
Kingp1n:
by ns387241 / July 18, 2007 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Hold on....

I know the cost of my unit, however one might notice a proportionality in bulb cost from one projection system to another. I wouldn't want anybody to have my projector anyway (the less competition for world's best system, the better forme...). What I would like to see is more people getting into the world of larger-sized screen teles. And 200-500 is a very conservative estimate for average cost. The cost of the bulb for a $999 Optoma projector at Best Buy is $250. Most decent projectors (with the build quality equivilant to Sony Tubes and Pioneer plasmas) cost around $4,000-$10,000. The aqverage bulb replacement cost for the average front projector is therefore more like $500-$1,000. If one would like to talk pricing of sub-standard projectors, sobeit. But if one would like to talk of DLP projectors that actaually behave like DLP's should, this is where its at (and nobody in the right mind uses a colour wheel aside from Samsung, who focuses on rear-projection models). My DLP and any DLP from Runco for that matter (or most others at quality levels compareable to entry-level Runco equipment($4,000) use a prim instead. Zero rainbow effect. DreamVision does the same with their DiLA projectors.
In conclusion, get something of quality and don't get stuck with cons in the first place, and let's not forget the main topic of this conversation: LCD vs. DLP front projectors. Again, picture lag due to response time and poorer contrast and colors are all associated with LCD. Picture degradation will only occur at the pre$3000 level and those types should reconsider their technology selection (a plasma at that price would do them better). DLP (at any decent quality) has a much superior picture with higher contrast, clarity during motion, and deep, rich colors.
N.S.

Collapse -
In a perfect world.....
by Kingp1n / July 18, 2007 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Kingp1n:

we all would have $200,000 projectors, and would have 2 Ferrari's in every garage. And of course all of this would be funded by the redwood sized money tree in our back yards.

Sound ridiculous? So does your last post.

First off, my first post was responding to the topic of this conversation. The PRO's and CON's of both technologies. And to inform wlczsf of what kind of level of projector you were refering to, to show that not all replacement lamps are going to cost $4,000. I am going out on a limb here to say that my guess is that he is not in the market for a quarter of million dollar projector! I doubt there are too many people with that kind of funds posting questions about what to buy on this forum.

To wlczsf... please tell me if you are in the market for that level of projector. If so, listen to every word of that N.S. has to say because he seems to have first hand knowledge of EXTREMELY expensive projectors. Otherwise, all you need to take from their i'm-richer-beyond-anything-you'll-every-have post is that they love to think that everyone that poses a question about projectors are millionaires.

Lastly, let me just throw this out there.... The Sharp XV-Z20000 DLP projector is a $10k HIGHLY rate unit, you know how much the replacement lamp cost's? $448.21. NEC also makes excellent home theater projectors and their lamps run in the $500 range.

By the way, in the event you feel that NEC makes "sub-standard" projectors. Who do you think makes Runco?

Collapse -
First off...
by ns387241 / July 19, 2007 4:27 PM PDT

I WILL SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME: I disclosed the replacement cost of my bulb simply as a proportion to how much it would cost the average customer (who spends $4,000-$10,000 on projector and another $700-$1,400 on screen) to have a bulb replaced.
Secondly, I by no means have more money than anybody else in the world, like everybody else, I am in debt up to my eyeballs (proportionately), so the whole "I'm rich" comment was compltely uncalled for.
Thridly, You have proven the average bulb for the average projector is within the $500-$1000 range. This is a contriadiction of your previous statement.
Fourthly, NEC has no affiliation whatsoever with Runco aside from the fact they are both part of the BDA. Where are you getting the notion NEC makes Runco? Don't you know Runco specializes in the creation of their very own processors, lamps and chasis? Do some more research before bringing in eronious information to this forum.
Fithly, I never said NEC made sub-standard projectors. Many companies are at fault, but those same many companies make very good projectors (like Sony, whose Bravia projector looks like ***, with a +/-200K differentiation of greens, whereas their SXRD and Qualia projectors are amazing at the price piont). It is not about certain companies being bad, it is about certain projectors being bad.
Sixthly, the Sharp is hardly comparable to the likes of the Runco VX-80D, which may have not received many reviews (but let us not forget: who is reviewing this? is it CR? etc. etc.), but for those that did review it, they loved it more than the Sharp. Do you know why? Because Runco makes quality stuff. Sharp...not so much by comparison. Their LCD's are made in China for crying out loud! Runco's video processing techniques and amazing color balnace are startling. This holds true even at the $4,000 level.
So let's take this one step at a time, shall we? Step one: your post would be the rediculous one. Step two: In a perfect world, we would have better than that. Step three: Runco is higher quality than the likes of Sharp, Sony , Panasonic, etc. and as a result makes for a better picture.
Regardless of this side conversation, DLP is a wonderful projection technology (over LCoS and LCD) for the price. The rich colors, lack of rainbow effect on Runco models, deep blacks, razor-sharp detail, and utterly mindblowing performace otherwise are what makes a DLP a DLP. Besides, If one really wanted perfection, they would buy a CRT projector with 9-inch tubes, very well calibrated. Good luck finding a cheap one! They go for 100,000 or more.
A good value for a DLP right now is the Runco VX-80D goes for $9,000, the Runco CL-710 runs $3,999, an inexpensive DLP with no raibows and no grains!
NS

Collapse -
I can see...
by Kingp1n / July 19, 2007 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: First off...

that this is going no where. Let me just clear the air and I will say no more to you.

In the beginning all I made reference to was the fact that your price of $4000 for a new lamp was in relation to a $200k projector. I understand you were making a point to show the proporional cost. BUT, you failed to mention the cost of your projector in the first place. Now if you had stated that the lamps run $4k each, but that your projector cost $200k, that would have put it in perspective. Simple as that.

As far as NEC making Runco. I do know this because I worked for NEC for 7 years. There is a thing called co-branding, which is what Runco does. They pay NEC to use their internals, then they build their own chasis and case for it, slap their name on it and POOF, you have Runco. And of course Runco will not openly divulge this info otherwise why would anyone buy Runco at a premium when they can buy NEC for less than half. Now I suggest you do some research before bringing eronious information to this forum.

Not even going to go into the whole rich thing. If you can't afford a $200k projector, and are "in dept up to my eyeballs", then you have issues.

Please show me where you get your prices from? Rocco in the back alley? Or is the fall-off-the-truck pricing? VX-80D for $9000? You seem to have forgot a zero at the end... it retails for $89,999! Now the CL-710 you are a little closer to reality, it goes for $9,999 not $3,999. Now it's possible that some store you know of has the CL-710 on clearence, and can be bought for 4k. But where can you get a 90k unit for 9k? Please tell me because I will buy them all and ebay-em for 40k and make one hell of a price profit.

I do stand corrected, the average lamp cost would be in the $500-$1000 range. I was mistaken, thank you for correcting me.

Now in closing. Please understand this, I was in no way disputing what you said in your original post except to point out to the original poster that the average consumer projector replacement lamp will not cost FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. That was it. Why you chose to berate me, I have no idea. I do agree that DLP is awesome technology. I have a DLP rear projection tv myself, so I agree with you 100%. Respond to this if you feel you must, but I have said my peace.

To WLCZSF, I appologize for the childish spat you just read. It was not my intention go take it in that direction. All I can say is do your research on the web, magazines, where ever you can find AV reviews. There are some great sites that have indepth reviews. Good luck!

Collapse -
A point of interest. Does the dog wag the tail or the tail
by NM_Bill / July 23, 2007 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I can see...

wag the dog? In other words, are you inferring the heart of the unit is actually NEC or does Runco buy certain components from NEC & the "Runco quality" reputation would stay intact if their (Runcos) innerds are what make a Runco a Runco?

Not climbing on you, this is a legit searching question. Runco is a pioneer company, yes. And obviously premium priced too. Is this a slap the label on case or just subcontracting certain parts? If just a minor model differentiation, we might keep it a kind of insider secret here for NEC to be a half the price option.

A possible example: Samsung aggressively invested in LCD screen manufacturing plants. Apparently Sony buys all the LCD screens they use from Samsung as the screen maker as they don't manufacture them themselves. Innerds for the highly important processing of the signal are not to be taken for granted. A screen from Samsung does not make a Sony LCD a Samsung. I think anyone buying a Sony LCD is interested in buying a Sony. As to the hypothetical LCD set, they are buying a Sony not a rebranded/cobranded Sammy.

By the way, if ns is for real, he talks a good game but leads a strange, unbalanced sort of life, but then again, I wouldn't know about life at the top. Not quite the Whole Earth Catalog, or to update, green conscious mindset regarding the folly of conspicuous consumption. All the world must face important transitions in not too long a time period, regarding things like needing a lot bigger proportion of energy to be gotten from a non-hydrocarbon, otherwise oil, source.

Government is all too influenced by powerful, huge monied interests to forestall serious attention to their moneymaker. We keep waiting for some sudden breakthrough like much more affordable solar energy. Just consider the China is becoming wealthy (much of it at our expense) & will pay any price for quickly proliferating desire for automobiles for themselves (well the moneymaking set.) That alone will do what to petroleum prices in a decade or so?

Sure the finest way to make big money is with already having big money. Alternatives will be opportunities for new companies. And making a difference starts at the personal level. Trash recycling is voluntary where I live. I see several neighbors who couldn't be bothered. The recycling wheel bin is much smaller than the one dumped into the landlfill. I set out more recyclables than I do trash. Yes, I gave it some thought. No, I don't spend but a few minutes a week to do so.

But then again, I'm off topic (not the first time.)

Collapse -
RP HDTVs. LCoS,DLP,LCD in that order!!!!
by jcrobso / July 19, 2007 6:38 AM PDT

You should not use professional units as a guide if you are buying a home unit.
LCoS RP sets have the best picture!!
DLP sets are next.
LCD comes in last. John

Collapse -
for home
by wlczsf / July 22, 2007 9:59 AM PDT

I want to buy a new projector for my home, not for professional job. price between 1 and 1.5 thousand. thx guys.

Collapse -
Honestly,
by Kingp1n / July 23, 2007 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: for home

at that price point, it could be hard to find something that will satisfy your need. But, what I would do is to see what BestBuy, or CircuitCity has for that dollar ammount. Take those model numbers and try to find some reviews on the internet and see what the experts say. To be perfectly honest, in my opinion, you would be better off looking at a rear projection HDTV for that kind of money. But you just might find a front projector you are happy with for $1500.

Good luck!

Collapse -
go with panasonic
by coreaboy / July 24, 2007 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Honestly,

If you want to do a bare bones budget projector, go with the Panasonic PT-AX100U: 3LCD. This projector rocks for the price and has lens shift so your projector doesn't have to be placed dead center and a great zoom so you have more placement flexibility. I don't even own this, own a BenQ PE 7700. Currently the Panny goes for 1700 with a 400 mail in rebate. Your cost 1300. Then go with a pull down screen or electronic screen. I did a 118' pull down screen for 500 from DALITE. Go with a white screen or slightly gray screen. Bulb replacement for projectors are about 3-500. Keep in mind DLP TVs also require bulb replacement for about the same price. I did tons of research over two years to get the best projector and still follow projectors for "the masses" because I'd like to upgrade to a 1080p in a few years.

This site is great.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/advice/1080p_vs_720p_projectors/index.asp

All in all I spent 2500 on a BENQ PE 7700 projector, 500 a 118 DALITE High Power pull down screen, 350 for MIRAGE Nanotech 5,1 speakers (they were originally 800), 100 for high quality speaker wire, and 400 for a Pioneer 1016 HDMI AV receiver. I plan on purchasing an OPPO HD upscaling DVD player for 229. So for a shade over 4K I have a system, while not AV-phile quality, that impresses 99 percent of the general population who come over and watch the Superbowl or Final Four on a ten foot screen in near razor sharp High Def with a clear and concise surround sound.

Collapse -
setting up cheap
by morrismike / December 18, 2009 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: for home

I'll make this very simple for you.
I've got a 68"x160" homemade grey screen that is permanent and attached to the wall above my fireplace mantle (total cost around 200 bucks). To go with that, I've got a hatachi J52 lcd (720p) that cost me around 2k three years ago. When I have people over to my house they drool over the picture and you can walk right up to the screen without seeing any kind of screen door effect, rainbow effect or any of the other mythical image issues associated with front projectors. I was worried about bulbs too (they're not that expensive) but I have not had to replace one yet. What you will find is that if you have a sweet tv (I have 55" 8 series LED) you'll come to the conclusions don't deserve to be shown on the projector. I had this set up in a banquet facility and the screen looked fantastic (like a movie theater) 40 feet from the screen.

Nowadays there are 1080p projectors around 1000 buck (I haven't seen one for comparison) and my projector isn't even available anymore because of this. I would advise you actually look at a few projectors and read the various non commercial reviews on the web. Keep in mind most of these guys have really tiny screens and aren't what I'd call enthusiests. You have to be the judge of whether or not LCD is for you and your eyes are the judge. I could reproduce my setup with a cheapy 1080p for under 1500 bucks. Whatever you do don't buy a projector model without looking at the picture yourself. Ditto for a high dollar screen.

If you live or are around the SW burbs of Chicago I can show you the ropes. That is assuming the samsung folks can figure out why my new HT-BD1250T isn't compatible with my projector.

Collapse -
Differences Lcd Projector With Dlp Projector
by geneshapiro / May 14, 2010 12:07 PM PDT

Projectors LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)
LCD projector operates with a bright light through transparent LCD cells. LCD projector polysillicon the most advanced LCD, using three separate color panels (red, green, and blue) to produce the desired color. Projection images generated by a combination of light through the LCD cell Shinning.LCD has a color saturation is excellent, brightness and contrast, brighter than DLPs at the same lumen output, and has a wider connectivity.

DLP Projector (Digital Light Processing)
This DLP projector developed by Texas Instruments and the projected image is reflected by the small lights of hundreds of mirrors called digital micro device (DMD). Mirror each representing one pixel, supported by electronic components that adjust the angle of the mirror according to the color shown.DLP projector is lighter than the LCD. Digital technology and has a high contrast ratio, which means the projected video images better than LCD. Physical size is very portable, tend to be smaller and lighter than LCD projectors and very easy to connect to other digital devices.

Comparing LCD and DLP

The best way to compare an LCD projector with DLP projector is to adjust the brightness and the same resolution and see one of the best image projection for this type of image that is displayed through a projector.
www.audiovideonyc.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?