Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Lauching Pages or Word causes restart

by watson.allen / January 12, 2010 12:10 AM PST

Starting yesterday, if I launch Pages (clicking in Dock or dbl-click on the app in Finder), it comes up with the template screen and then immediately quits, and my system starts to shut down. Fortunately it offers me the option of saving items in BBEdit or canceling, and I am able to cancel the restart. Did this repeatedly, so I tried launching Microsoft Word and got exactly the same behavior!! What could be going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lauching Pages or Word causes restart
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lauching Pages or Word causes restart
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not recent items; Nisus Writer Pro not affected
by watson.allen / January 12, 2010 12:17 AM PST

I cleared the Recent Items menu, thinking maybe access to those was something Pages and Word might have in common, but it did nothing to solve the problem.

I tried launching Nisus Writer Pro, and it launches without problem. So, at least so far, the problem seems to be limited to Pages and Word. ???

Collapse -
My system info
by watson.allen / January 12, 2010 7:39 AM PST

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

OS 10.6.2

Collapse -
Weird!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 7:59 AM PST

Guess it would be good to start with the basics.

Repair permissions to kick things off.

ZAP the PRAM

Create a new account and see if it happens there.

One step at a time

P

Collapse -
Test account is not affected
by watson.allen / January 13, 2010 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: Weird!

I was able to launch Word by logging in to a virgin account, and to read the document I had been trying to read in my main account. So the problem is definitely something in my User domain. I'll have to keep investigating...

Collapse -
The usual fix is to
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 8:54 PM PST

create another admin account and use that after transferring the old account files to the new one.

Alternatively, you could delete the Finders preferences, com.apple.finder.plist, and see if that makes a difference.
Also, com.apple.systempreferences.plist, can go.

To remove them, just drag them onto the desktop. These are the preference files that are stored in your

yourname>Library>Preferences.

Do not confuse this library with the one that is on the root of the boot drive.

You may have to log out and back in to make it work, you may not.

P

Collapse -
Overkill
by watson.allen / January 14, 2010 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: The usual fix is to

I think that is overkill. Besides, I've got files and things set up going back to OS X 1.0...moving everything would probably result in the loss of files, links, or capabilities I've even forgotten I created. So as difficult as it may be, I'd rather track down what is causing this and get rid of that cause. Also, if I just move everything, there is no way of knowing that the same thing won't happen again. I really need to find the root cause.

I HAVE tested in a second admin account, clean, and Word and Pages run fine there. For the time being I've given that account access to my main user's Documents folder, and I can switch users when I need Pages or Word. That's a temporary workaround until I can track down and exterminate the cause of the problem.

I've also uninstalled a couple of things I recently installed or updated, such as Quay and FinderPop beta. Didn't help.

Let me ask a very general question: What kind of thing can trigger a "normal" restart without my initiating it? I know there can be keyboard shortcuts that do it, but I cannot see any way Word and Pages could be issuing any keystrokes.

Collapse -
console log
by macnerd10 / January 14, 2010 3:20 PM PST
In reply to: Overkill

could tell you (and us) what was going on. Each crash is recorded. Open it (applications>utilities) and take a look

Collapse -
Not a crash
by watson.allen / January 15, 2010 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: console log

This is not a crash; it is an orderly restart! I've checked the Console program for crash logs and in the System log; there are NO error messages recorded. I've had the log open live while instigating the problem, and nothing gets recorded. The system just starts shutting down.

Collapse -
So what happened when you tried the
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 15, 2010 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: Overkill

second part of my answer?

The part about the preferences?

P

Collapse -
Have not tried prefs yet
by watson.allen / January 15, 2010 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: The usual fix is to

You suggested dragging some prefs out to the Desktop. I have not tried it yet. I will. But right now I have a workaround (I run Pages or Word in that alternate user account) and I have to get stuff done!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!