Laptops forum

General discussion

Latitude D620 or dv2000t???

by morrefule / August 22, 2006 4:42 AM PDT

ok, now i need some advice of my own. d620 or dv2000t?

i need:
1 gb ram
core duo
under 5.5 lbs
any video card better than gma950
at least 60gb HD
CD-RW/DVD
at least 3.5 hrs battery life
wi-fi
xp home, proffessional or media center
some sort of warranty\

compared to the D620, the DV2000t is a little heavy( half a pound heavier). It also doesnt have as good of a video card i think. Both laptops look cool so thats not an issue here. also, the cnet reviews dont help, as they both got 6.9s. The dv2000t seems to be more expandable, but the d620 has a 3 year warranty vs. the 1 yr from hp.

HELP PLEASE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Latitude D620 or dv2000t???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Latitude D620 or dv2000t???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 4:44 AM PDT

Love that 3 year warranty...

Collapse -
yeah....
by morrefule / August 22, 2006 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Warranty.

its a nice warranty but seriously, any advice people??

Collapse -
Also noted with 3 year warranty and similar numbers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah....

I've found Toshiba to offer similar features and the 3 year warranty. Widely available in the US.

Bob

Collapse -
bob
by morrefule / August 23, 2006 3:43 AM PDT

ok thanks, which model? i forgot to mention i think that my budget is up to $1250

Collapse -
Try the usual sites.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: bob

Amazon, Best buy, outpost, newegg, etc.

I've seen them under your 1250 cutoff point.

Bob

Collapse -
Battery Life
by ar69 / August 23, 2006 3:54 AM PDT

Due to the bad experiences that all my relatives and friends have had after buying a dell, I have never owned one. The dv2000t would only get you 3.5 hours under light use. That or you could buy a 12 cell battery and have it sticking out of the bottom(I dont know why they dont design it to stick out of the back). The 12 cell would also add about a pound to the weight.

Collapse -
yeah
by morrefule / August 23, 2006 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery Life

i know, and at that point it would be a 6.5 lb notebook. thats just crazy. anyhow, my mom is getting a latitude D620 from work, configured around what i would like. Im going to see how satisfied she is with that and if she likes it then i will just go with that. after all, even with a 9 cell battery (and up to 7 hours) it weighs under 5.5 lbs. im still going to look for a toshiba but i think i've made my choice

Collapse -
Clained battery life
by ar69 / August 23, 2006 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah

Is that 7 hour battery life from a real life test, or is it the manufacturers claimed life? The claimed life from the manufacter would probably be with little or no activity, wireless and bluetooth off, and set on maximum power settings. Real life use would definetely give you less battery life. There is a laptop that got 8 hours life in a real life test with light use, but I can almost guarantee you that it will have had an integrated GPU and a ULV processor, not fit for heavy applications or gaming.

Collapse -
yes
by morrefule / August 23, 2006 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Clained battery life

i know that, but 7 hours is still a lot to claim. Surely i would realistically get at least 5 hours? Thats still great battery life. besides, battery life isnt the hugest issue for me, as i will be able to plug it in and recharge every night. whatever, i hear what you're saying. thanks.

Collapse -
Go with HP.
by kitsap360 / August 25, 2006 2:51 PM PDT

I own an HP dv2000 and I love it. One of the best notebooks on the market. I recommend it to ANYONE looking for a new notebook.

As for Dell, everyone I know have had nothing but problems with them. I recommend you avoid them, even if they offer a warranty with the system (you're going to need it) and go with HP.

Collapse -
dv2000t
by morrefule / August 26, 2006 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Go with HP.

it doesnt help me unless you state WHY you like it and why you have had problems with dell

Collapse -
final choice
by cxady / October 4, 2006 6:57 AM PDT

Did you buy Dell?? If yes. how is it?)
I'm choosing now between the same models and I have almost same requirements. except.. the mobility is really important for me. So if dv2000t with 12 cell weights 6.5 lbs then it should have some big advantage in smth another to make me buy it.. I can't find any exact information about it's weight - it varies from site to site :-/

Collapse -
no, i havenbt bought it yet
by morrefule / October 4, 2006 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: final choice

sorry, im probably going to wait until around november before i make a final decision. I am really thinking that the M1210 is the best choice, but im waiting for dell to lower the price. They actually did lower the price by one dollar a week or two ago (from 1200 to 1999!!!) LOL. I would still like to know how good the gaming performance is on the D620, did you find out this piece of info???

Collapse -
no, i havent bought it yet
by morrefule / October 4, 2006 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: final choice

sorry, im probably going to wait until around november before i make a final decision. I am really thinking that the M1210 is the best choice, but im waiting for dell to lower the price. They actually did lower the price by one dollar a week or two ago (from 1200 to 1999!!!) LOL. I would still like to know how good the gaming performance is on the D620, did you find out this piece of info???

Collapse -
d620 is actually an office laptop..
by cxady / October 5, 2006 7:59 AM PDT

..and the video card that it has (nVidia Quadro NVM110) is dedicated for 3d modeling, not for games.
You can read a lot of interesting here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=46913
In general it is good, but if you wanna play latest games in high resolution - by desktop Wink

By the way, i'm buying a laptop for work and study.. but it doesn't mean that I don't want to play on it at all Happy I consider that NVM110 is enough for me

But.. dv2000t seem's to be cheaper and has the same spec.. Is the 1 lbs of difference worth choosing dell?

Collapse -
yes, i think it is
by morrefule / October 9, 2006 9:31 AM PDT

dell is supposed to have a much better warranty and customer service. It comes with a 3 year warranty included. The dv2000t doesnt come with any warranty, and with an equivalent 3 year warranty, i think its around the same price. It would be really helpful if i could easily compare the gaming performances of different video cards....ughh, it's so confusing. So I understand that the Nvdida quadro series is a business model, but wouldnt it be able to handle moderate gaming? (halo 1, morrownind, starcraft, bf2 on low settings???) Also, I really want to know how the graphics card for the dv2000t performs. It is 128mb, but it's made for gaming, right? (or at least isnt a business model) Does anyone have any insight??

Collapse -
Dell Quality
by MooseMk / October 13, 2006 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: yes, i think it is

I cannot respond on the video cards, but I can respond to Dell's quality. In a word -- trash. I purchased an XPS M140 / Lat630 for around $1300 in May. I had both the motherboard, memory, a/c power pack and keyboard replaced. My friend owns an HP, dv6000z and it's operating solidly.

When I phoned Dell Support, they asked me to open the unit with a screwdriver - a Phillips metric size. I have #2 & #3, but nothing smaller. So, I used a pointed knife. In customer satisfaction surveys, I have mentioned that Dell need to include a screwdriver with their products so when a tyro has a problem, the proper tool is available.

Dell quality has slid in the past few years. This is my third Dell notebook and it's had more problems. It has been repaired and it's working so far.....

Moose

Collapse -
i see
by morrefule / October 13, 2006 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell Quality

well there is and always will be a debate about which has better customer service. It really depends on the person and their personal experience with the company. I've heard bad and good things about both Hp and Dell, and im still not sure what to think. I have heard many complaints like the previous one from other people about hp as well. I guess just because one customer doesnt have any problems doesnt mean that the product is superior, and vice versa. Anyway, thanks for sharing your bad experience, hope everything works out for you

Collapse -
One more candidate
by cxady / October 19, 2006 4:47 AM PDT

I found at toshiba.com sale for Satellite M 100:

core 2 duo T7200 - 2 ghz
1 gb ram, 667 mhz
radeon X1400
hdd 80 gb
starting at 5.2 lbs
up to 5 hours with basic battery

all this stuff - about $1200.

Now I'm choosing between it and Dell - Latitude seems to be a little bit lighter, but Toshiba has better video (if assuming geforce N110 to be like Go 7300).

Does anybody have anything against Toshiba?

Collapse -
cxady
by morrefule / October 19, 2006 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: One more candidate

thanks, ill check it out. By the way, if u find something like that in the future it is helpful to provide a link.

Collapse -
i couldnt find it
by morrefule / October 30, 2006 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: cxady

please, i need a link. I searched for a while and i couldnt find that model with those specs. HELP!

Collapse -
Decided on dv2000t, now what specs should i get?
by morrefule / November 6, 2006 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: here you are

Ok, so i know I've talked about the dv2000t, the D620, the M1210 and the M100 but now i think I have finally made my decision. I have decided upon the Dv2000t because it seems to be more geared towards my needs. It is an entertainment laptop so it has more multimedia features. There are some pretty cool features like the remote control, and the music without booting up the machine. Dell claimed that the D620 started at 4.6 lbs but i think that was with no CD drive (i.e. a travel module or something like that) so the D620 actually starts at about the same weight as the Dv2000t. Neither of them have amazing graphics cards, but they are still a hell of a lot better than your average notebook cards.

Anyway, now im mainly concerned about the specs I should purchase.
Xp home is fine for me, but there is a free upgrade to xp media center (this is actually an "upgrade" right?)

for the processor, i know i want a core duo, but im a little confused about which one: whats the difference between Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2050 (1.60 GHz) and Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T5500 (1.66 GHz)? the second is 100$ more expensive so logically it must be faster....

for the screen type, i have heard that Brightview is really worth it, so i think I will choose this upgrade for 25$ more

for the graphics card, i will definitely spend the extra 35$ to upgrade to the 128MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7200. I know this is a low end card, but i would still like to be able to play games before around 2004 and more recent games on mid settings.

I think i will upgrade to the webcam just because it is only another 30$ and I'm sure it will be useful at some point in the laptop's life.

2 GB is too expensive for me, so i think i will go with the 1gb of memory. Is this a good choice??

I dont really know how big of a hard drive to purchase. I was thinking of the 80GB one but not sure. I know 40 is too small, and 120 is probably too big. 60 is only a little cheaper, but i figure if i ever run out of room i can delete things or buy an external HD.

for the drive, i am perfectly content with a DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive. i dont really need to burn dvds, and the double layer junk just doesnt seem worth it. Please comment if you disagree

i think i will choose this for a wireless card FREE Upgrade to Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG!!. There is also a bluetooth version but i dont see the point in that. I dont have any bluetooth peripherals myself.

One of my more major problems is which battery to choose. The 6 cell or the 12 cell?????????????????
the 6 cell ive heard gives 2.5 hours usually, while the 12 cell gives at least 5. i really only need about 3.5 - 4 but i think 2.5 is definitely too short. However, the 12 cell adds half a pound of weight and supposedly sticks awkwardly out the bottom. ANY HELP???

And now to my second major problem. Which warranty to get? Now, i think i want something with complet care just incase i drop it or spill something on it(I might be taking it to class with me). If something breaks i would like to be able to send it in for repair. So, i at least want the 1 year warranty for 99$, but i am bound to have this machine for more than a year. Is 2 years enough? its 249$ for that and 349$ for the 3 yr warranty. Which should i get?

Oh, and i will also get the system recovery disc thing and the hp mobile remote control.

Now, this all comes out to $1,247, which is about the limit i would want to pay.
Please help me with my decision. I have been laptop searching for about 2 years now. This means a lot to me so if you could be thorough in your replies i would appreciate it.

Collapse -
Regarding HP Dv2000t....
by nettemm / November 6, 2006 7:31 PM PST

Regarding RAM if u buy 1GB try to buy (1x1024MB) and not
(2x512). so that we can upgrade to 3gb or 2 Gb in the future if the need arises by buying 2Gb RAM(1x2048) . Win XP supports 3 gb RAM.Dv2000t has only 2 RAM slots. Regarding hard disk better to go 120 GB Now 100 GB is very common.For processor u better go for Core 2 Duo 2.16 or 2.33 Ghz. above things may enhance the ur laptop life for another 2 to 3 years than the normal life. Thats it buddy..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!