You will find discussions with folk that have tried this without the floppy and CD drive and will find that most if not all fail.
I wonder if this is a lesson that many will have to learn but CD drives are cheaper than the alternative. Let's see how cheap.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SIL-GCR-8240N-DO&cat=CDR is 3.50 dollars.
If this is not an option I suggest you forget it and file this machine away for another day.
Hello All... I hope you ahve a bit of time because this is a DELL problem, and while I do need help, I know that our lives are short so if you pass on this I DO understand.
So the very basics.
I have an older Dell Latitude c610 Laptop. The CD Rom drive is messed up and I CAN NOT afford another one. (I REFUSE to buy ANYTHING made BY DELL) And I can't afford it anyway.
I have two other machines. One Laptop and one desktop.
I can not figure out how to get a new OS on this old machine. I have two store bought legimitate copies of XP ( Home and Pro.)
So far I have :
- used a DOS Windows 98 Boot Disk to boot into DOS and check out the HD on the Latitude.
- Because of no CD-Rom I have copied the i386 directory from the OS disk to a HD on the desktop and then connected to pulled out drive from the Latitude, formated it (Fat32) the copied the i386 directory to it, as well as smartdrv.exe.
- Reinstalled the Latitude drive back on the Latitude machine.
- Used the Win98 Boot Disk to go into DOS, then to teh C: drive. Ran smartdrv.exe, then went o i386 directory and ran winnt. It went through the Xp install from the HD tot he point where I was told that the DOS part was installed and now it would reboot and contunie to install XP. When it rebooted, I got an NTLDR is missing error.
- I rebooted a few times to see what if anythgin would change, and still got it.
- I then used the working laptop's OS to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM onto the Latitudes HD. (after I had to unhide them)
- I STILL got the NTLDR is missing error. I have tried four times to do this and none of them worked. Any ideas ?
Dell support is 100% no help. I can not even log onto their website or forums area because their site will not let me make up a user name. (Yes I tried other ones UNLIKE the ones I WANTED to use ! )
Thanks for even reading this,