General discussion

Latitude c610 Laptop OS install WITHOUT CD Drive or Floppy ?

Hello All... I hope you ahve a bit of time because this is a DELL problem, and while I do need help, I know that our lives are short so if you pass on this I DO understand.

So the very basics.

I have an older Dell Latitude c610 Laptop. The CD Rom drive is messed up and I CAN NOT afford another one. (I REFUSE to buy ANYTHING made BY DELL) And I can't afford it anyway.

I have two other machines. One Laptop and one desktop.

I can not figure out how to get a new OS on this old machine. I have two store bought legimitate copies of XP ( Home and Pro.)

So far I have :

- used a DOS Windows 98 Boot Disk to boot into DOS and check out the HD on the Latitude.

- Because of no CD-Rom I have copied the i386 directory from the OS disk to a HD on the desktop and then connected to pulled out drive from the Latitude, formated it (Fat32) the copied the i386 directory to it, as well as smartdrv.exe.

- Reinstalled the Latitude drive back on the Latitude machine.

- Used the Win98 Boot Disk to go into DOS, then to teh C: drive. Ran smartdrv.exe, then went o i386 directory and ran winnt. It went through the Xp install from the HD tot he point where I was told that the DOS part was installed and now it would reboot and contunie to install XP. When it rebooted, I got an NTLDR is missing error.

- I rebooted a few times to see what if anythgin would change, and still got it.

- I then used the working laptop's OS to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM onto the Latitudes HD. (after I had to unhide them)

- I STILL got the NTLDR is missing error. I have tried four times to do this and none of them worked. Any ideas ?

Dell support is 100% no help. I can not even log onto their website or forums area because their site will not let me make up a user name. (Yes I tried other ones UNLIKE the ones I WANTED to use ! )

Thanks for even reading this,

Dan

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Latitude c610 Laptop OS install WITHOUT CD Drive or Floppy ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Latitude c610 Laptop OS install WITHOUT CD Drive or Floppy ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The bad news is

You will find discussions with folk that have tried this without the floppy and CD drive and will find that most if not all fail.

I wonder if this is a lesson that many will have to learn but CD drives are cheaper than the alternative. Let's see how cheap.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SIL-GCR-8240N-DO&cat=CDR is 3.50 dollars.

If this is not an option I suggest you forget it and file this machine away for another day.
Bob

- Collapse -
Latitude c610 Laptop OS install WITHOUT CD Drive or Floppy ?

Download Novicorp WinToFlash
http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

Follow the directions except

Set the advanced format setting to Fat16 LBA
run the program

Put your DVD drive in your laptop and reboot

I just installed XP in a D410 and it worked great

- Collapse -
Just one problem.

Read the OP's post and they don't have a CD/DVD drive!

- Collapse -
Put your DVD drive in your laptop

I meant your USB drive.My D410 has no CD/DVD drive either.

CNET Forums

Forum Info