Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Latest Windows Update causing slowdown?

by Disneyfan / October 14, 2009 10:15 PM PDT

This week Microsoft released quite a few updates. Since then, my friend's Windows XP laptop has become very erratic. It runs extremely slow, then suddenly speeds up for a very short while, then slows down again. This just started happening yesterday (Wed 10/14). No other changes have been made for a long while but the problem just started yesterday.

Does anyone know of any new updates that may be causing this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Latest Windows Update causing slowdown?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Latest Windows Update causing slowdown?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Think about the Indexer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 10:37 PM PDT

After changes the Indexed (AKA indexing service) would, could run for weeks. Do you remember that?

Also your antivirus might notice and want to scan the entire machine.

Between these two I'm taking bets that many forget how our machines work and this can cause many to think MSFT has failed them.
Bob

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by Disneyfan / October 14, 2009 10:57 PM PDT

The owner had just installed Norton 360 but the problems had started prior to that. So we removed Norton 360 temporarily to see if that was related to the problem but then even with no security installed, the system was extremely slow. By the way, I had scanned the system with several scanners, including Malwarebytes, just to be sure and got no hits.

As far as the Indexer, that is true but it should not be bringing the system to it's knees. We are going to try a System Restore and see what happens.

Collapse -
So you don't own this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm...

Since you don't own it, get off their machine so they don't blame you for the troubles?

Collapse -
Not an option...
by Disneyfan / October 14, 2009 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: So you don't own this?

I have my own computer service company that I run out of my house but primarily do house calls to residential accounts. The business has grown and is working out well.

So this happens to be a customer of mine that I am trying to help through this.

Collapse -
Have them post here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Not an option...

Let them post here so they can cut out the middle man.

Collapse -
Well, that is noble but...
by Disneyfan / October 15, 2009 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Have them post here.

most of my clients are non-technical and would not be comfortable in Forums. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Seeing similar thing here- on several systems
by rjfloryal / October 30, 2009 2:08 AM PDT

I first noticed the slowdown on Oct 14.

We use our systems to compile large embedded software projects, launching concurrent compiles to take advantage of multiple-core cpus (quad in my case).

Suddenly my build times jumped from 9 minutes to nearly 30 - overnight.

The builds used to keep my system at 100% load for the entire build, now I'm lucky to peak out at 35%, mostly hovering below 5..15%.

I see no improvement at all between single-thread and multiple-thread builds- which is contrary to how this recently built systems worked before the 14th.

Symantec virus scans come up negative.

I install very little 'junk' on this systems- no games, no fluff, however there was a micro$oft automatic update on 10/10- just before the launch of windoze-7.

You don't think they pushed a 'cripple' patch for XP just to drive users to upgrade to upgrade to windoze-7 out of frustration? nah...

ron

Collapse -
So What Happens When...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 6:01 AM PST

...What happens when you..

1. .... disable the Indexing Service?

2. .... uninstall Symantec?

Or to narrow down the culprit, start disabling unnecessary services ... You don't mention your operating system, but if it's XP as the original poster, try using the "Tweaked" column in the chart at Black Viper's link below:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

We've had no such slow down on any of our machine here..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Resolution of this problem
by rjfloryal / November 2, 2009 9:31 PM PST

Deleting all entries from "Network Neighborhood" and "Network Drives" (mapped drives) corrected the unexpected delays encountered when launching programs or child processes. I had previously cleared the "Network Neighborhood" many times, so it was empty, but there was one mapped "Network Drive" that silently hosed the entire system.

You can always re-add mapped drives if/when you need them again. Apparently windoze has problems with old (stale) entries.

ron

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.