Dell forum

General discussion

Latest Norton antivirus LiveUpdate: No Sound!

I have an older Dell: Dimension L866r which has served me beautifully.
Running Windows Me 2000, Norton Antivirus came preloaded.
Registered for 'LiveUpdates', have been receiving and downloading them ~ every 30-60 days, w/o any problem.
Received the last update alert this past week (1/11): total loss of all sound resulted following download. Tried: 'start'>'programs'>'accessories'>'entertainment'>'volume control': sound controller does NOT appear!
Tried: 'settings'>'control panel'>'system'>'device manager'>'sound,vid,game controller'>'Creative SoundBlaster AudioPCI 64V {WMD}': deleted, then succesfully reloaded with utility driver CD: still nothing.
This is bizarre. Never had a virus problem, system always ran smoothly, until this last Norton download.
I know this system is old, but this should not have happened.
Any advice as to what to try next would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Latest Norton antivirus LiveUpdate: No Sound!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Latest Norton antivirus LiveUpdate: No Sound!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Running Windows Me 2000

In reply to: Latest Norton antivirus LiveUpdate: No Sound!

Is not a known version to me. There is Windows ME. There is Windows 2000.

But about your lost sound card. If a reload didn't cure it consider the cheapest possible fix. I used this last time -> http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=762

I have the 7 dollar one and it has stood in for failures like this.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification on external USB fix?

In reply to: Running Windows Me 2000

For clarification, my OS is Win ME. I don't quite follow your suggestions. Is your conclusion that a Norton LiveUpdate download destroyed my soundcard? And if so, the items on the link you provided all say: 'plug in your headphones/mike': would this work for the stock speaker set that came with this Dell system? Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry

In reply to: Clarification on external USB fix?

I did not come to that conclusion. I do know that most PCs and more are five year designs. I offered the cheapest fix I know of. I'm sure many will lose time over trying to resurrect the old sound card but I've learned to fix it and move on. Even if it costs 7 bucks.

As I have no spec on the stock speaker set, I can't answer. I can write that almost any amplified speaker set works.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your help!

In reply to: Sorry

Sir: I'm a researcher, so I was curious as to how/why something like this happened, and if it happens with some frequency: judging by a quick search of 'no sound' postings, apparently it's pretty common.
I appreciate your time and your solution, and will order the item you recommend: the cost is trivial compared to a new card, and servicing time. I'll give it a try: thanks very much!

Collapse -
Thanks for that.

In reply to: Thanks for your help!

I'm an electronics designer with some years in forensics or failure analysis. While we would spend ungodly amounts of time and money on what it was then, now we have to not do that when a possible fix is affordable.

I wouldn't have suggested this on newer gear but at over 5 years I pull the plug early and pop in the cheapest fix I can find and move to the next problem. I hear you that you would like to know what broke. But we are beyond that 5 year mark.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.