Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

In reply to: Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

This shouldn't be news to anyone, but I'm afraid it is.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

Hi, Dan.

I'm just waiting for the denial, that it's just liberal environmental extremists who are concerned...

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Here, I'll supply the denial:

In reply to: Re: Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

Dave, for the last time, THERE ARE NO OCEANS. That's just a bunch of liberal crap.

Devil

Collapse -
well Josh, actually...

In reply to: Here, I'll supply the denial:

actually there WERE oceans - but Bush stole them in Nov. 2000, allegedly because he can't swim so nobody else should be allowed to either...

Devil

But on the serious side, it is a problem that a growing number of people are finally recognizing.

dw

Collapse -
Re:well Josh, actually...

In reply to: well Josh, actually...

Hey, just because there has been life in the Gulf of Mexico for the last billion years doesn't mean that it should always have life in it. Things do change, you know.

Dan

Collapse -

In reply to: well Josh, actually...

Well DRAT, I didn't believe it would happen. I remember someone saying that if Bush walked on water he would be critized for not being able to swim and there it is.

Devil

RogerNC

Collapse -

In reply to: Re:well Josh, actually...

With a pipeline to the Almighty, you would think this would not be a problem.

Unless you believe, as MOST Christians do, that the Almighty does not always give all that is requested of believers.

Collapse -
Correction

In reply to: Re:well Josh, actually...

I believe it's the Almighty does not always give all that is requested by believers.

"You might not get what you want, but you just might get what you need."

RogerNC

Collapse -
Is that a Bible quote? [nt]

In reply to: Correction

Collapse -
The Rolling Stones...

In reply to: Is that a Bible quote? [nt]

who first appeared at The Sermon on the Mount Happy
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes, you get what you need".

Collapse -
Link? Link? Link? Link?

Devil
Collapse -
(NT) :-)

In reply to: Link? Link? Link? Link?

Collapse -
Meanwhile ...

... we have the same old, same old demeaning of our President for being "intellectually incurious" while you and your friends having a big yuck in this thread seem to buy anything like this hook, line and sinker. You also ignore posts like this one.

That said, the article did state the commission was appointed by President Bush. Where is Molly Ivins demeaning their report when you need her. I would also note that along with offshore drilling, the huge increase in shoreline housing and development is copiously blamed. But they want to fund this from oil royalties. How about a shoreline tax for those who live there adn are also as much if not more part of the cause?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
That's a good idea

In reply to: Meanwhile ...

I think it is well worth pursuing a fee on businesses and residences within a certain distance of the coast and waterways. There should also be a fairly heavy fee for fertilizers and pesticides, far too much of which end up in the waterways and oceans.

Glad you're on board.

Dan

Collapse -
Always been a fan of consumption taxes ...

In reply to: That's a good idea

... vs. centralized bureaucratic administration of income taxes. Dave will probably start grumbling now just like he does any time anyone questions the taxpayer subsidy to his homeowners' flood insurance. I see no reason why Joe Average American living on a 1/2 acre who has to pay $5/day for parking at a public beach should foot the bill for the effect on the oceans that Barbra's mansion have.

Collapse -
The damage is so severe

In reply to: Always been a fan of consumption taxes ...

that we need the fees for parking and for flood insurance and for the poisons I mentioned earlier. Add to that a deposit on motor oil so it doesn't get dumped and upgrades to storm and sewer system. We've screwed up big-time and we're going to have to pay the piper.

Dan

Collapse -
No, what's needed is a limit on Federal bailouts of fools.

In reply to: That's a good idea

We need to place limits on what kind of fools the Feds will bailout and let private insurance cover it completely or those affected just lose it all. Why should we have to suffer these fools who buy up all the beach property, cram their stuff so close together that no one else can get onto the beaches, act like the surf in front of their property belongs to them personally even when it may be public property, manage to deny access or control public access to the water, and make it not worth the effort in many places to even go to the beach anymore. Let them take the complete risk for their selfishness and foolishness, cause right now they are playing US for the fools.

Collapse -
I'm all for that, too!

In reply to: No, what's needed is a limit on Federal bailouts of fools.

Being from one of the shore counties in New Jersey you don't have to tell me about restrictive beach access practices. I'm tempted to condemn these beach mansions, give them 15 cents on the dollar and tell them to go pound sand.

Don't forget interior flood plains either! Why is my tax money going to rebuild houses that were stupid to build the last 5 times they were rebuilt?

Bulldozers, start your engines!

Dan

Collapse -
Yes, we need a national beach reclamation that boots all these people back to ...

In reply to: I'm all for that, too!

....a reasonable place and restores the beaches to everyone's access. Last time I was in Florida I decided to drive the A1A and US1 area south of St. Augustine, which had always been miles of open beaches. All gone, houses crammed between the beach and the road, many areas of the shoreline oaks that were so picturesque were gone too. I was heartsick to see it.

Florida of all states is the last place I would expect them to let the beaches be overrun like that. I would love to see Florida condemn all buildings that exist between the road and the beach, requiring that nothing could be built beyond the road and that all beyond it was state property. Florida should NEVER have let it become like that. They also need to have laws that won't allow housing over 30 feet tall within a quartermile of the beach.

Get those damnable condos off the beaches!

Don't allow resorts to hog the beach in front of them by covering it in their own chairs and umbrellas to use as an excuse to push away others from what is public owned beach front. In Florida there is a certain setback on all Gulf and Ocean beaches that is public, but trying to get into it and then not having problems with the resorts that front on it become the problem.

I would love to open a business there engaged in "beach busting parties" that would take a boat down those stretches and set up private parties right in front of those controlling condos in the public strip areas where they couldn't stop it. I can see it now, "Party in front of the Hilton this week!".

Collapse -
Re:Re: Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

In reply to: Re: Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

Collapse -
ROFL! ! ! -nt

In reply to: Re:Re: Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

Collapse -
Re:Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

In reply to: Re:Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

My question is, why, the last time I checked, are there more replies to a valid thread like this than there are to the one that has to do with how much Air America needs "liberal money" to survive?

Especially in a forum that seems to me to be DOMINATED by conservatives.

Please, conservatives, don't foist off on anyone the false and stupid notion that liberals-don't-work-cause-they-can-live-off-the-taxpayers and have more time to reply to threads like this notion.

Collapse -
ummm...Cuz this is interesting? -nt

In reply to: Re:Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

Grin
Collapse -
(NT) Anybody see Nova last night?

In reply to: Latest environmental problem: oceans 'in deep trouble.'

Collapse -
Scary stuff, huh?

In reply to: (NT) Anybody see Nova last night?

no joke

Dan

Collapse -
Re:Scary stuff, huh?

In reply to: Scary stuff, huh?

Yep!

I grew up in a railroad town (in the coal-fired engine days), coal-burning furnaces and room grates, a tannery, a chemical plant (solvents, I think- and located on the Ohio River), and a big steel producing plant.

I swear, I thought all of that stuff from the smokestacks just kept rising into the air and kept on going through space.

Apparently, so did a lot of other people.:-(

BTW, no way would I eat the catfish that live in the river outside my door. The Dupont Chemical plant upriver was fined $10,000 about 35 years ago for what they had dumped into it.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: Scary stuff, huh?

In reply to: Re:Scary stuff, huh?

Collapse -
NOVA? Last night? The one they advertised here...

In reply to: Re: Scary stuff, huh?

....had a writeup that sounded like the old canard of "The Population Bomb", so naturally I didn't waste my time tuning it up.

Collapse -
Re:NOVA? Last night? The one they advertised here...

In reply to: NOVA? Last night? The one they advertised here...

My PBS station showed one re: air pollution here and in China.

China's is primarily from coal, both in industry and in home heating. But, as their economy has taken off, especially in Bejing, more people are able to buy cars. The highways around the city looked as crowded as ours. Also, they build the cars there, though under US and Japanese companies. However, the engine and emissions technology is old.

Our major pollutant is from automobiles.

There is a station in Oregon that monitors the air coming in from across the Atlantic. When it began showing a rise in pollutants, the origin was traced to China.

Interesting show, James. Watch for it in your area. (Sorry- I don't know the title.)

Angeline

Collapse -
Air pollution...

In reply to: Re:NOVA? Last night? The one they advertised here...

controls here in California are some of the strictest in the country. Meanwhile - just to the south of us in Tijuana, they burn tires for heat. I remember flying along on this side of the border at 5000 feet and nearly being asphyxiated from the smoke Happy Go figure.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.