Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Latest craze - eyeball piercings

by Diane Harrison / August 15, 2004 3:23 PM PDT

Yes, you read it right. Not eyelid - that's eyeBALL. Uh-huh. Somewhere these insane people are getting someone to pierce their eyeballs and insert jewelry in them!!! I didn't think it could go any further off the "weirdness" charts, but it just did! http://www.webprowire.com/summaries/748699.html

Yes. . .I'm ashamed to say it's going on in California again. . . Do these kids have parents?!!! Have they ever thought about how this would look (no pun intended) when they finally get their act together and try to get a decent job interview?!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Latest craze - eyeball piercings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Latest craze - eyeball piercings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hopefully...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / August 15, 2004 3:58 PM PDT

the interviewers will be more open minded than some are today!

Collapse -
I presume you mean that the interviewers will be
by Kiddpeat / August 15, 2004 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Hopefully...

as dumb as the interviewees.

Collapse -
Like it or not Charlie ...
by Evie / August 15, 2004 10:30 PM PDT

... people interview and are employed in the "real world". Low slung pants, bare midriffs and above-the-butt tatoos might be all the rage, but nobody is going to take such a person seriously that shows up at an interview with such. Ahh but take heart, those with pierced eyeballs can take their eyerings out and use Visine to suppress the red.

Those that do permanent things in visible places have to deal with the message that sends the world. While I suppose there will be the occasional interviewer/employer that will see this as a positive attribute, my guess is that most will see this as overt non-conformity and a sign of the type of personality the person will be bringing with them to the job.

I've been wondering lately about the new earring craze, Earlets & Tunnels. One can always remove a piercing, and even if the hole doesn't close it will fade. Once you stretch an earlobe (or whatever other "flesh" one wishes to "tunnel") it's a done deal and can't be reversed. I wonder if my 20-something students that sport these consider how this will look at 30, let alone 60!

Collapse -
Re: Hopefully...
by Roger NC / August 16, 2004 12:43 AM PDT

Young people of all generations do things that when they're older, most can't believe they done.

But an interviewer in a physical work place (industrial/commercial verses office/desk work) is probably going to be worried about how careless anyone that would do that will be. Anyone careless on the job is a liability and likely to end up injured or dead.

It's a lack of judgement issue Charlie. Most teenagers and 20-something'ers subconsciously feel like nothing can really happen to them. We almost all do dumb things as kids, teenagers, and young adults, but some stick around and say more about us than others.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
open minded :)
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / August 16, 2004 7:27 AM PDT
What happen to arts and imaginations?
Some people have *it* and others just don't have *it* Happy

*it* as in aesthetic values.

Heard of Esthetic philosophical theory? What is beautiful for me may not be beautiful for others. Happy
:
:
:
Anyhow, I think as far as Arts and Imagination, we do share common grounds CT. Happy
Collapse -
Re: open minded :)
by Roger NC / August 16, 2004 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: open minded :)

Where is the line between arts&imaginations and self mutilation in cases of piercing?

The same can be said for tattoos of course, and they have become much more accepted, at least the less extensive work anyway.

Extreme examples of each are still causes of disdain, expressed or not, and (fair or not) often marks against the wearer judgement of fitness for a job or even general trustworthiness.

Shrug, I wear a beard, and even today, that can be a negative thing occasionally. Even socialogy books use to warn against goatee style beards, that such roused distrust in others. Full beards were considered preferable to goatee beards, supposely. Sensible? reasonable? of course not. But sensible, rational, reasonable, logical, and a lot of other good baises for judgement can't completely control people's reactions to some things.

So if you choose to do something very likely to negatively affect someone's view of you, it's up to you to choose if your plan of action is worth the cost. And you'll have to accept it later too.

RogerNC

Collapse -
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / August 16, 2004 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: open minded :)
So if you choose to do something very likely to negatively affect someone's view of you, it's up to you to choose if your plan of action is worth the cost. And you'll have to accept it later too.
Posted by: Roger NC

======================

Why would I allow the opinions of others be the opinion of myself? It's not the road that I take.

Second, when you have the money, you have the brains, when you have the power -- others opinion does not matter because it is you that makes the opinion of them.

Let us give a simple example here --- YOU as a moderator has the power to delete a post as you please (right or wrong). My opinion of you will not matter because it is you who has the DELETE BUTTON. In this case it's territorial power.

Am I making sense as far as *OPINION* goes?
Collapse -
by Glenda / August 16, 2004 11:07 AM PDT

A very sad way to think IMO! Sounds rather naive to think that if you have money and power nothing else matters:) It is a fact of life that the best wishes of others and how they think of you is what boosts your good thoughts of yourself. When everyone despises you
or thinks you are flaky, It eventually will take it's toll! I always told my kids that I wanted others to love them as much as I did, And that required being well behaved, considerate of others and respect for themselves, I also let them know that as their parents we loved them no matter what they did, But would, with bad behavior not be real happy with them.
Glenda

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Trying Hard?
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / August 16, 2004 11:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Trying Hard?
by Glenda / August 16, 2004 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Trying Hard?

Apparently CL you should try harder:( A sad commentary you picture of yourself:)
Glenda

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sad? I don't recognize that word. :)
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / August 16, 2004 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: (NT) Trying Hard?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How about epitomize?
by Evie / August 17, 2004 1:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Roger NC / August 16, 2004 11:36 AM PDT
Why would I allow the opinions of others be the opinion of myself? It's not the road that I take.

Ok, if you're financially independent (by work or luck or others) already, no sweat. If you're looking for a job to eat, you'll find other's opinions of you matter a whole hell of a lot. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to adopt someone else opinion of yourself as you own. It may mean you have to endure it, at least sometimes and places.

YOU as a moderator has the power to delete a post as you please (right or wrong). My opinion of you will not matter because it is you who has the DELETE BUTTON.

Hmmm, I guess that is true as it stands alone. But we were talking about the opinion of those that can cut you off from earning a living in the field you desire. Or nowadays, more likely in the field that work is available.

And as you point out, it matters little your opinion of the cop and DA if they decide to arrest and charge you with a crime, you still have to deal with their opinion of you, not them of your opinion of them.

While not letting others opinions completely rule you is a good thing, ignoring others opinions completely will likely hurt you.

RogerNC

Collapse -
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / August 16, 2004 11:43 AM PDT

While not letting others opinions completely rule you is a good thing, ignoring others opinions completely will likely hurt you.
==========================================

Opinions can be easily BE dismissed. Suggestions gives you time to think.

See the difference?

Collapse -
by Roger NC / August 16, 2004 11:48 AM PDT

I see that seeing each other's point is probably impossible.

I'm merely pointing out that if someone controls if you earn a living right now, their opinion of you matters. If the DA, judge, and jury sentences you to jail, their opinion certainly influences you.

Of course, while incarcerated or starving you have all the time to think over suggestions you like I guess.

I fear this isn't a discussion but a verbal volleyball match. I'm too out of shape and obese to risk volleyball injuries, so have a good day.

RogerNC

Collapse -
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / August 16, 2004 11:52 AM PDT

so have a good day
-------------------

Same here.

Collapse -
by Diane Harrison / August 16, 2004 12:13 PM PDT

A wise man will know that he does not possess all the knowledge of the world, even if he possesses wealth and power. He would be wise to learn from others, so that his own knowledge can grow. This is not done by ignoring, demeaning, or dismissing others. Look at the first complete verse of the poem below - it holds great wisdom.

Fortunes can and often do reverse. The football star becomes the paraplegic; the successful actor becomes the penniless drug addict. It is the conceit of the young that they know best and that their world is the only right one and others must abide by their counsel. To look to the rich and insolent as a role model, is to invite defeat and loneliness into your own life, for others shall shun you once they are through using you for what they feel they can take. Howard Hughes died wealthy and powerful, but I doubt that he was ever a truly happy man, or one at peace with himself.

No one is beyond reproach, and no one has a lock on the mysteries of life. When it is all said and done, and all that is left is the decay of the human flesh, the soul having fled, all one can hope to have left is his accomplishments and good memories engendered in those who had contact with him and grew to love him. To live in arrogance is to distance those same persons and to leave with them a bitterness that makes the course of your earthly journey sullied, a mockery of the life and happiness others strive to achieve.

These words of wisdom (the Desiderata) were not written by a wealthy man, the holder of great power, yet they have enriched the lives of countless others. I would far rather die the person who has enriched the lives of others, than the one whose claim to fame was in holding the most toys.

You are young yet. These truths transcend time, but they come at different ages to different people - some never coming at all. You speak of martial arts, yet I feel from your post that you know little of the real meaning behind them to make many of the statements that you have made.

Desiderata (in part - http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/desiderata.html)

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) gOSH! that's long... I just read your signature...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / August 16, 2004 12:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gosh, that's evasive. . .but not surprising. . .
by Diane Harrison / August 16, 2004 12:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Gosh, that's evasive. . .but not surprising. . .
by Cindi Haynes / August 17, 2004 1:23 AM PDT

That's okay Diane,

Lots of us appreciated seeing that again. Maybe one day Bob Dylan will put it to music. Then they'll get it.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "Dylan Does Commonsense" after that? :-))
by Diane Harrison / August 17, 2004 1:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
OMG, & here
by John Robie / August 15, 2004 4:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: OMG, & here
by Diane Harrison / August 15, 2004 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: OMG, & here

Geez - do you think there is a correlation between the extremely red and bloodshot eyes and the idiot procedure?!! And this is pretty. . . .how?

Collapse -
Re: OMG, & here
by Glenda / August 16, 2004 2:57 AM PDT

How do they stand it? I get an eyelash in my eye and I go nuts! What about the health of the eye with this procedure? I think that would worry me more than the look itself:( I remember when my oldest Granddaughter had her tongue pierced over my strong protest, and it wasn't long until she regretted it:) Her tongue was swollen she couldn't talk and she was miserable! LOL
At least that was a good thing as she finally took it out:)
Glenda

Collapse -
A link from that page John
by SteveGargini / August 17, 2004 8:43 AM PDT
Ouch

Some guy cut his ***** off and ate it.
I am doubling up with just the thought of it. Sad
Collapse -
Re: Latest craze - eyeball piercings
by SteveGargini / August 15, 2004 4:57 PM PDT

These people will be complaining next that they have lost the vision in the decorated eye.
Well! the best way to prevent that would be to not do it in the first place - idiots in my book.

Collapse -
Well, it should be self limiting. When they go blind,
by Kiddpeat / August 15, 2004 5:17 PM PDT

they'll sue the surgeon. I sure hope it won't be covered by insurance.

Collapse -
Times are A-Changing, buddy! You better
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / August 15, 2004 5:23 PM PDT

get that by now. Times do change and new generations take over!

"There is nothing so stable as change." - Bob Dylan!

Collapse -
Re: Times are A-Changing, buddy! You better
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 15, 2004 11:10 PM PDT

Hi, Charlie.

C'mon, use your head, man. This is way dangerous. There's a considerable risk of infection with any type of piercing, and because of poor blood supply, the eye is one of the body site least able to fight infection. One reason I don't wear contacts is that everyone I know who does, no matter how careful about only using the proper solutions, eventually gets a serious eye infection. Getting eyeball jewelry announces to the world "I am an idiot!"

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Watch out for flying pigs!
by Evie / August 15, 2004 11:16 PM PDT

When I saw JR's picture I cringed. I have very sensitive eyes and my tear ducts don't work. Ever since I was a kid my eyes tear profusely in wind. If I get something in one in the morning, I'm wiping tears away all day. Thank heavens for waterproof mascara Happy

If/when I need vision assistance contact lenses will not be an option for me! Toying with one's precious eyes is just pure idiocy!

Evie Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?