Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Late to the PVP game.

by Glorybox3737 / January 24, 2006 2:30 AM PST

I'm sort of late to the PVP game. Recently I decided that I actually do need a PVP, do to the fact that I will be traveling a little bit more often thanks to the army reserve. So I started looking up the archos players first. 5 hours battery life, very sad. Creative vision 4.5 hours, even sadder. Then I stumbled on the Cowon A2 perfect! Now this is a PVP! 4" screen, 10 hours video playback and 18 for music! It supports mp3 and mpeg4 and that's what I really care about. All I have to say is wow. Great player.

Now on to my question for anyone who owns a cowon A2 what kinda software am I dealing with? Is this drag and drop or can I use wmp 10? Are thier other third party software out thier? To bad I can't use it like an iPod and sync it with iTunes that would be perfect!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Late to the PVP game.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Late to the PVP game.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry no snycing as far as I know
by tom_2727 / January 24, 2006 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Late to the PVP game.

The A2 uses drag and drop to transfer files. It shows the ID3 info when you're playing a song, but you can't sort/browse using it. Files are sorted by filename / directory (though it only shows the music files when you're in "music" mode).

If you're used to an IPOD, you'll probably miss that stuff. Not me. I actually prefer filename browsing, but you'd think the designers would give you the option. I think the X5 is better about this, but I don't have one of those, so I can't say firsthand.

The A2 is primarily a video player, and that's what it does best. Video is great on the small screen, and even better when outputted to a TV. It is very good about handling almost every avi codec, and it's the only one I know that can handle AC3 sound (which is what a lot of people use when ripping HDTV and DVDs).

If you mainly want a music player, there's a bunch of better options.

Things I don't like about it:
-The cheesy USB host (slow, one way, not compatible with lots of stuff). The X5's host is much better by all accounts.
-Doesn't support "motion jpeg" video codec (from my digital camera).

Collapse -
Sorting
by Glorybox3737 / January 24, 2006 4:06 AM PST

That's great to know that i can't search by id3 info, thank you. Could I possibly make a playlist for the A2 and sort through my music that way? If not no big deal seeing I would only be using this for trips. I find my nano more suitable for day to day activities.

Is the video also by file name. Could I sort it using genres? I have my movies sorted that way. All my Horror movies are in the Horror folder and so on. Would that transfer that way over to the A2? I'm not to familiar with drag and drop so sorry for any stupid questions.

Also how is the build quality on it? What's it made out of? I'm most likely going to drop it and I'm curious if it can take a few falls.

Collapse -
sorting stuff
by tom_2727 / January 24, 2006 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: Sorting

Everything sorts by folder. I just drag the entire folder tree from my PC into the directory on the A2. When you play your files in regular or shuffle mode, you can tell it to play: ''all files'', ''the folder'', or ''the folder and all subfolders''. You could use the folders to create defacto playlists if you want, but you need to use the PC connection to fiddle with the directory structures (works exactly like any other hard drive on Windows Explorer).

I know it can create a playlist, and it may be able to use one that you've made on a PC (not sure about that). I just use the folders myself.

Video and Music work the same way.

It's made out of plastic, but it's fairly heavy. It feels pretty solid, but I'd be worried if I dropped it. I drop my little G3 all the time, but I'm a lot more careful with the A2.
It does come with a nice leather case that protects it somewhat. The case has openings for the headphone jack and the on/off button, so you can keep it inside while you're playing music / watching movies. The case works good as a prop stand when you open it up. Good for watching movies.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Glorybox3737 / January 24, 2006 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: sorting stuff

Thanks for all the information you've been a big help. When I get back from training I plan buying the 30gb model. This looks to be the best PVP out there. Looking at the latest CES it looks like the A2 will continue to be the better PVP for most of 2006 also. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Collapse -
Sorting
by John Frehse / January 25, 2006 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: Sorting

You can set up the file structure any way you want. it is easy. Just set up different folders for different playlists and it will work that way. It is the same as setting up a folder structure in windows.

Collapse -
BUY THE COWON
by John Frehse / January 25, 2006 8:58 AM PST

I have the Cowon A2. I can't speak for any of their other models, but I love this one. Here are my reasons:

Easy to use. The bottons are very easy to use and the system is intuitive.

The screen and quality are off the charts.

You can record tv shows off of your tv. It is sooo easy to do.

It has a built in mic. that is also great.

The JetPro software that comes with it is great.

You are not locked into the annoying iTunes world. Apple is a bunch of jerks for making sure their songs only played on their devises. Go with one that plays mp3s like the Cowon. The quality is better than the ipod from a sound perspective. check the stats.

loading video and songs is really easy. I bought 35 bucks worth of additional software, but that is it.

I bought the 30 gig at zipzoomfly.com for 409 with 2 day shipping included. They were great.

let me know if that helps. I travel a lot and now can't live without mine.

Collapse -
Questions
by Glorybox3737 / January 25, 2006 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: BUY THE COWON

You said you bought $35 worth of extra software, what was this software for? What exactly does the Jet Pro software do? I heard that the Cowan A2 was only drag and drop.

P.S. I also agree that Apple is a bunch of jerks. Because I would love to be able to put a few of my favorite music videos on the Cowon when I get it. I still love my Nano and I still think Apple is a great company but...it would be nice if they could let me buy music videos and play it on the Cowon.

Collapse -
software
by tom_2727 / January 25, 2006 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Questions

The player comes with only jetaudio software as far as I know. You can use it to convert your video files to A2 size, and XVID format. Saves a little space, but I prefer to just put the original files on the player, so they'll look good when playing through the video out jack. Like I said the A2 can handle most common codecs. I acutally have some MPEG1 Family Guy episodes that wouldn't play with the old firmware, but will with the new 1.51 version.

I prefer to use Virtual Dub (freeware) for converting my home movies from Motion Jepg to XVID. It preserves the quality better.

As far as the $35 software goes, my guess is it's for ripping DVDs? I've never ripped a DVD, but I've heard it's not that easy to do with only freeware.

Collapse -
Ripping
by Glorybox3737 / January 25, 2006 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: software

For ripping dvds I use two freeware programs. DVD decypter and nero recode. I've been ripping dvds to my friends iPods for weeks now. It's a pretty simple process once you have the right programs, just takes a while to find the right programs. And the two I mentioned above are defaintly the easiest and best freeware programs to use imo. I see that the Cowon accepts Mpeg4 so I'll stick to that. It seems to be the most popular format.

Collapse -
Archos - 5 Hours?
by vicbrasil / February 16, 2006 4:17 AM PST

I have the Archos 402 and it plays 10+. For video you will find 5 hours to be about right. How about building an external power supply with NiMH batteries to supply the 5v that the unit needs? This will give you an extra 5 hours of play and you can also exchange the batteries ad-infinitum and have the portable power always available. I built one of these for my son and for myself and use it on transatlantic flights with no trouble. Also, Archos article on today?s CNET Reviews.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11291_7-6434567-1.html?tag=nl.e404

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.