Laptops forum

General discussion

LAST MINUTE HELP

by JAM1971 / December 14, 2004 9:44 PM PST

I have decided to purchase the hp dv1000. i need some last minute advice. Is there a difference in speed between the 1.6 and 1.8ghz processor? Also, which warranty is the best? Should I get the screen coverage or is it a waste of money? Finally, has anyone had their laptop fix from hp,if so how long of a wait is there from them to fix it and return it to you?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LAST MINUTE HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LAST MINUTE HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: LAST MINUTE HELP
by unknownkw / December 15, 2004 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: LAST MINUTE HELP

-Is there a difference in speed between the 1.6 and 1.8ghz processor?
Sure. But does it worth $100 is another story. To me, no.

-Also, which warranty is the best? Should I get the screen coverage or is it a waste of money?
Do you think purchasing an insurance is a waste of money? If yes, don't bother. If not, consider.

Collapse -
Don't buy extended coverage if not over $2000 or traveling
by KenSanramon / December 15, 2004 3:04 PM PST
In reply to: Re: LAST MINUTE HELP

I would not get extended warranty coverage for a notebook under $1500 and your DV1000 should fit in that category. You can double your 1 year limited warranty if you use an American Express card or qualifying Visa/Mastercard that has the electronic warranty doubling for free up to 1 year (so 1 year goes to 2 years is you save the receipt or invoice).

If you are worried about something major happening during the first 6 months you can order custom at hpshopping through Costco.com (same custom configuration) and get a 6 month return policy. Note also that the hpshopping return policy itself is 30 days for any reason (if you have bad LCD pixels or a configuration you don't like, etc and they pay the return shipping). You would get that if you ordered direct or through Costco but Costco gives you the added peace of mind of 6 months return (to the store even though custom ordered).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!