HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

laser therapy at home

by stephenszpak / March 29, 2008 2:44 PM PDT

Hi All

I'm trying to understand laser therapy for a relative that
has arthritis. It seems, maybe, that 875 to 900ish nM
is necessary to go deep into the body. 2 or 3 inches.

Anyway, has anyone tried this stuff. It seems like the cost
might be around $1300.

This is one model, but I'm not saying it's good or bad. It
really don't know what's out there. I'd be interested in any
feedback as to reputable makers.

http://integratedlasertherapies.com/q10.html
--------------------------------------------------------------

Photobiomodulation, also known as low level laser therapy (LLLT), cold laser therapy, and laser biostimulation, is an emerging medical and veterinary technique in which exposure to low-level laser light can stimulate or inhibit cellular function leading to beneficial clinical effects.[1] The technique is also known by the more ambiguous terms phototherapy and laser therapy, which may also be used to describe other medical techniques.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_therapy

-------------------------------------------------------------

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laser therapy at home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laser therapy at home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't believe everything you read ...
by Bill Osler / March 29, 2008 9:39 PM PDT
In reply to: laser therapy at home

I'm not an expert in this area, and there are people who are actively doing research in the various uses of laser technology for medical purposes. My opinion is that there is a lot of hype and not much information out there.

Personally I think it is telling that the director of education for the company you linked to is very pleased with her credentials as an advanced Rolfer. That background has undoubtedly let her become accustomed to making extravagant claims regarding the effectiveness of poorly researched interventions.

In any event I don't think that home use of a medical laser by untrained operators would be a good thing. The folks who use cold lasers commercially (mostly chiropractors I think but I'm not sure) presumably receive some training. If I'm correct about who is using the lasers that would also tell you something about the likelihood that there is sound data behind the claims for their effectiveness.

Collapse -
yes
by stephenszpak / March 29, 2008 11:05 PM PDT

I'm not sure if there is anything to this or not. My relative
can barely walk so we're trying different things.

From what I read yesterday/today there have been some studies.
The FDA is allowing people to use lasers at home.
Alternative therapies are always slow to be accepted.

Got to go for now, thanks for the input,

-Stephen

Collapse -
Agreed. Even with my very minor case of osteo,
by drpruner / August 26, 2008 2:05 PM PDT

I realize that the pain leads people to ANY possible relief. For that reason, I believe, arthritis is #1 or #2 on the conman's nostrum list, along with cancer.

Collapse -
cold laser therapy for arthritus
by leprechan3 / August 26, 2008 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: laser therapy at home

I was involved in a motorcycle accident where I injured my back. Upon speaking with my chiropractor after several sessions he recomended using cold laser treatments at home to increase the healing time. Since insurance doesn't cover laser therapy I did a little research on it. I didn't have to do much when I heard that Shaquile Oneal had used it when he had knee problems as well as Shaun Pierce. If the doctors in the NBA are using it to help athletes who have plenty of money to spend on any type of treatment than I figured I would give it a try. I had nothing to lose. I bought a used LED machine, and I used it for 30 minute treatments every other day for 4 months. I haven't had any back pain since, and it has been over six months now. It worked for me. I also used it on my dog who has hip problems and she no longer seems stiff or in pain. She jumps around like she is a puppy again. I used 800nm.

Collapse -
After four months
by Angeline Booher / August 26, 2008 4:55 AM PDT

.... it is also possible that the pain would have resolved without the treatment, or that there was a placebo effect.

In any event, it is hoped that your regimen was under the direction of your chiropractor and not a do-it-yourself one. And that you consulted with your vet as dosages for canines can differ from those for humans.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Laser treatment for back pain
by thorlaser / December 22, 2008 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: After four months

Sorry to take the guess work out this topic but you can go the the National Institute or Health (NIH) web site and search for LLLT (which stands for Low Level Laser Therapy).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=DetailsSearch&Term=LLLT

There you will find over 100 RCT's (Randomized, double blind, placebo controlled clinical trials) published in peer reviewed scientific medical journals + over 1,000 laboratory studies (in Petri dishes and lab rats etc).

This address's the question about whether someone's injury might have gotten better anyway. Yes it might have but clinical trials are of sufficient size (for statistical power) to flush out that possibility.

The treatment parameters and techniques are still being perfected but we are getting closer every year to making this a more constantly dependable treatment. Laser power, wavelength, beam density, treatment times, treatment locations and treatment intervals all play a part in the possibility of success or failure. For that reason a home therapy device could be a bit "hit or miss" as well as potentially dangerous (if it were a strong laser intended for analgesic effects). You need a professional diagnosis and a well informed treatment plan.

Declared interest - I am an engineer in this field and frequent public speaker on this topic
James Carroll
THOR Photomedicine
http://www.thorlaser.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.